New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waterproofing boots
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plastics have their place. AS do good hunting boots.
I own the same pair that Brett does but I would never hunt in them unless I was going to be in the mountains 100% of the time. They're great on incline/decline/side hilling. They SUCK to walk miles of flat ground in (i.e.. walking in the valleys to access the sheep mtns).

I bought mine for strictly climbing, but I would wear them hunting in, say, SE AK goat hunting (STEEP terrain) but other than that, that's about it.

Stick with the Kennetreks (or whatever hunting boot fits you) and you'll be fine. I wear Scarpa boots hunting here in the rough AZ mountains and I have no issues whatsoever.

Boots are a very personal matter, and what works for some won't work for others. I cannot wear Kennetreks at all. I've tried 3 diff pairs over the yrs and all have worn my left heel raw in the same spot. But Asolo boots (basically the EXACT same model of boot) fit my feet like a dream.
Same for Miendel boots for me. They just do not agree with my feet.

Find what works for you and stick with that.

ANd yes, SNO-seal works well. Just use a hair dryer and melt it into the leather.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scotty.

I have heard similar comments from others. Never had one on myself. I guess I will soon.

Posts: 12101 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'll agree that plastics are not the best for walking on flat ground. However, I don't think the flat ground characteristics exceed the performance boost you get on the hill. What do think Scotty? I suppose that really depends on how far one has to traverse on flat areas. Most of my mountain hunting has been in Colorado, where almost all of the time is spent on some type of incline, decline, or sidehill.

Totally agree with you about boots being a personal thing. Miendels give me blisters as well. Haven't tried the Kennetreks yet as the plastics solved my mountain footwear issues.

Larry, are there any steep hills you can really give those plastics a go on before heading to AK? Also Larry, the plastics will probably have instructions when they arrive, but I remember the guy at Barney's heating up the booties and having me walk in them for a while to make them form to my feet. Seems like we did that a few times before he sent me out the door with them. You'll probably want to do the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry
All the guy's talked about the plastics in Alaska.
I like my Kenetrecks a little Sno seal your set to go.
My feet never got wet walking in snow, rain and wading the rivers.
Used the waterproof gators when I came to deep snow or water.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just sent the Kennetrek's I ordered back to them. They were too big. Hopefully, the new pair will work. My plastics have yet to arrive.

Posts: 12101 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wear tennis shoes until I get to my sheep hunting area, and then my hanwags go on. I have no issue walking out with my sheep with wet boots as they can dry when I get home.

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have considered those custom Hanwag's made by Lathrop & Sons.

I take it you like them?

I am worried about the Kennetrek's. I am having problems with the size even though I tried them on at DSC. I have sent 2 pairs back as they were too big. I have also had trouble getting them to close around my leg on the top of the boot.

My Scarpa boots have been shipped by Barney's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I take it you like them?

I am worried about the Kennetrek's. I am having problems with the size even though I tried them on at DSC. I have sent 2 pairs back as they were too big. I have also had trouble getting them to close around my leg on the top of the boot.

Larry,
I used Wiggy's Waders,

http://www.lathropandsons.com/wiggys-waders.html

On my sheep hunt and the next year for caribou.
I wouldn't go on either of these hunts without them.
They are so quick, light and easy for crossing rivers/streams.

"If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it". Fred Bear

Posts: 444 | Location: WA. State | Registered: 06 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I want my boots to be absolutely waterproof, I buy a GOOD quality Goretex boot.

I have used a lot of different leather treratments over the years, now I am using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP [Leather Preservative}

I have used it on my African hunting leather boots that are not Goretex, and I walked in a lot of water in them and they never leaked.

On a long hunting trip, It is a good idea to take some of whatever you are usijng them, so you can retreat them on the trip if necessary.

Walking in snow and heavy brush is hard on the leather proofing.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
My take on this whole shebang is thus;;

If it is fairly dry and you don't need to cross streams constantly you can keep your feet pretty dry.

If it is raining a good deal of your hunt and you are in wet brush,soggy hillsides,and are forever dealing with water-crossings keeping your feet dry is nearly impossible. Your start off pretty dry in the am but soon after???

That is the bottom line from an Alaskan Sheep Guide.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree with waterrat. My boots were dry in the Yukon for several days. One day, the water came on.

If it is wet enough, it is about impossible. This is why I take 2 pairs of boots.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:

I take it you like them?

Yes, love the hanwags. I didn't get the custom fit ones as they were out of my budget, but if I could have, I would have! I took these out of the box and on a sheep hunt. Best boot I have ever worn and I have been through a lot of them over the past 20 years of sheep hunting!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there really is no good way to stay dry. That is why I try my best to stay dry getting into sheep country by using tennis shoes. Then once I start hunting and get a sheep wet boots really don't matter.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Northway:
Yes, there really is no good way to stay dry. That is why I try my best to stay dry getting into sheep country by using tennis shoes. Then once I start hunting and get a sheep wet boots really don't matter.

I've never had that luxury!!

2012's hunt was 9hrs up a alder,boulder,numerous side stream,and grown up game trail hike to were we figured we were in real sheep country! Sneakers would have crippled me in no time.

Maybe I need to find a better area to pursue those white buggers from now on.

Jim

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1413 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, I hear you. Some areas we can do it in. I can walk up creek beds with tennis shoes, etc, but when it gets too bad, on go the boots and wetness!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Larry:
I spray with Thompson's Water Seal. Works wonders on leather or canvas or anything else.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote