New
Find
Notify
Tools

3006 boring
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know that only your big hairy chested guide can’t handle the recoil of a 375 so the go to is always 3006 has anybody ever killed a brown bear with something more interesting like 264 358 7mm mauser ect

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 375 on all but one that I took with a 30 Whelen. Great cartridge and the brass is super easy to form, just neck down 35 Whelan or neck up 270.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't carry a 30-06 into the field; always choosing something unique and interesting and never using the same rifle twice. Just because I can. So, just say no.

Posts: 17121 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
What the everliving, what??

Someone page Phil. Mr. 458, would you get your hairy chested butt over here please?

Paging Mr. Phil Shoemaker to the white courtesy phone. Mr. Shoemaker to the white courtesy phone?

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This phone likes to “ correct “ me so the point is only your hairy chested guide can handle recoil is the advise given to anyone asking what caliber to use then you get a lecture on shot placement which is great on stationary target but on a moving target such as a charging bear it should be called lucky shot placement and since i find 3006 boring caliber just wondering if anyone else does also

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Shot placement is as important on moving targets as it is on stationary targets.
Especially if they are moving towards you.

And if you can't place a hit in a moving target with a 30-06 then you probably won't be able to with a 375

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting only comes with lots of practice and that doesn’t mean just benchrest and in 30 years of spending a lot of time at the shooting range I hardly ever see a guide practicing

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I wouldn't carry a 30-06 into the field; always choosing something unique and interesting and never using the same rifle twice. Just because I can. So, just say no.

We are at the opposite ends of the scale!

One rifle
One load.
Every year.
Never fails.

But mine is unique.

A wildcat I designed and built myself. clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YEAH! But that is like being 20 yrs. old and having a harem and doing the nasty with only one woman! Frowner Confused Mad

Hip

Posts: 1829 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by anukpuk:
... has anybody ever killed a brown bear with something more interesting like 264 358 7mm mauser ect

Of course--the old reliable 30-30 has accounted for a bunch over the years. So have 12 ga shotguns with slugs. These are not the best options but don't assume only the largest calibers can do the job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I killed mine with a .330 Dakota and the guide had a .338 RUM.

I know a guy who shot one with a .270 (as did O’Connor supposedly).

Anything that will give you a couple feet of penetration should work…

If I would do it again, I’d probably either use the same rifle or my .416 Rem Mag stainless M70. More because the environment is so wet than anything else. I wouldn’t feel undergunned with a 7x57 or bigger philosophically, but I have to admit that when I saw the one I shot, I thought that .330 was a bit on the small side! Bears are just impressive.

Of course, I like the 06 too. If it was effective on Nazis and Banzai charges, it will work for other dangerous beasts.

Posts: 10627 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WoodHunter
posted Hide Post
My "go to" rifle, whether it be for a deer chase, Elk hunt, or chasing a cougar out of the barn, is a 40 year old 30-06. Mark X Mauser, issue barrel, 24 inches, Burris 3x9. Shooting Nosler 160 grain Ballistic Tips, with 180 grain Partitions as a back up if I am going for a Big Roosevelt Bull.

Shoots 1 inch groups all day long and is a pleasure to use. Bell & Carlson stock.

It is also the rifle that leans in the corner next to the bed. Pity the poor stupid meth head that gets in front of the rifle as he is breaking into something on the farm.

Now if I was trekking Africa it would be a different story. But this will never happen, I am too old and in not the best of health.

Posts: 1457 | Location: Running With The Hounds | Registered: 28 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Yup the old .30-06 is indeed boring, well boringly effective that is. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK how does this add up 3006 180 grain 2700 ft./s Is all you need unless you’re hunting elephants. 308 with a 20 round magazine would be OK for bears 180 grain bullet at 2620 ft./s
10 mm 170 grain bullet 13 40 ft./s bear defense 3030. 170gr 2200fps good for deer These are the general comments you often hear