Notify
Tools

Good moose grunting in Unit 17
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted
Good morning,
Just got back from taking a friend from to the airport after a very good Unit 17 moose hunt. I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture, but can't seem to be able to find the right button, can anyone help?
Oh, I see where my error was, my apologies. I'll get a friend on here to post some pictures later in the month.
Well anyway,another friend and I flew out with Bay Air, located here in Dillingham, and spent a week on a small lake up in Wood/ Tikchik State Park. The weather was mostly really poor, but on the 10th we managed to talk to a bull, and three days later, after two hours of debating and posturing with him, we managed to fool him in to coming out of the trees and ground fog for a shot. The bull was a four brow tine on each side, 60"spread, and I used a .375 H&H on a Remington action, with some 300g Barnes TSX in front of 68g of R-15. The load is accurate in my rifle, and although certainly not very fast, at less than 100 yds, three of the four bullets passed thru the bull, and the fourth lodged in the off side.
I found Tom and Janet Schlagel of Bay Air fun and pleasant to fly with, and a special thanks to Mark Young for telling me emphatically to "Stay on the lake and call your brains out!"

Posts: 9199 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The moose have started grunting up in central BC as well. I will be going out this weekend to ventilate a bull moose or elk.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic, Congrats!!! beer you are lucky to be alive using a lowly pushfeed (just kidding) stir

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I've been remiss in my duties to post a pic so here is Scott's beautiful bull from '06. He does not deserve it after the monster below that he shot last year. What's that saying "I'd rather be lucky than good"??? What a turd!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12914 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scott,

Congrats on your moose success! Nice bulls. What scope are you using on your 375 H&H?

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Scott,
No one should be allowed to have that many huge moose, The best Mark could do for me a was this little 65"er. We were by your house when we were there visiting Mark and Sadie just after you'd shot a good moose in '04. Congrats on another great moose. We used Bay Air also, they are a good outfit.

Jerry Huffaker
State, National and World Champion Taxidermist

Posts: 2008 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Good morning moose hunter. I used a 1.5-5 Leopold with some Leopold QR rings. I intend to use the same rifle in Zim next year, so I thought I should get out and see how the rig worked.
Hello Jerry, I remember when you stopped by. That was a great moose you ended up with. Marks advise to stay on the lake and call payed off again!
We're lucky out here in Dillingham, the moose seem to be healthy. Caribou? Now thats another story!

Posts: 9199 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote