Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet selection for combo hunts
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
I'm wondering if those of you that hunt thick and thin skinned game at the same time (like sheep and griz combo hunt)change up your bullet selection during the hunt. I'd guess that a good heavy bear bullet like a NP or NAB wouldn't be ideal for sheep and caribou. SO do you pack separate ammo or just try to find a bullet that works well for both?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Use one bullet for both!
Any bullet for suitable for interior Grizzlies
will kill your Sheep. Trying to switch back and forth with different bullets while your in Sheep country or in Bear country seems like an unnecessary distraction. I killed my Bighorn and Mountain Goat with the same 180 grain bullets I use on Elk. I have also used that same bullet for Deer and Antelope and would not hesitate to use it on interior Griz either.
The last thing that you need creeping thru your mind while you are lining up for your shot on a trophy of a lifetime is "which bullet" I have in my rifle!
Added distractions mean more opportunities for failure.
Good luck on your hunt.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Use one bullet for both!
will kill your Sheep. Trying to switch back and forth with different bullets while your in Sheep country or in Bear country seems like an unnecessary distraction. I killed my Bighorn and Mountain Goat with the same 180 grain bullets I use on Elk. I have also used that same bullet for Deer and Antelope and would not hesitate to use it on interior Griz either.
Good luck on your hunt.

+1, well said

Any good soft bullet, swift a-frame, nosler partition, Northfork soft, or Barnes X bullet will get the job done on your hunt.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
Use one bullet for both!
Good luck on your hunt.

+1, well said

Any good soft bullet, swift a-frame, nosler partition, Northfork soft, or Barnes X bullet will get the job done on your hunt.

How tough is the Nosler Accubond compared to these?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
How tough is the Nosler Accubond compared to these?[/QUOTE]

The Accubond is a great choice also!!

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
... Agree strongly with the above posts ... All these options are fun when playing with rifles .. But for hunting 1 load is best .....

Thats why I prefer a mid to light weight bullet of tough construction in the 9.3- 458 diameters ..min.300 yard capability and great performance @ 15 feet if needed .......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only use 1 bullet as well. Too much hassle and very possibly too much chance of them not hitting to the same point of impact. In all of my years hunting Ak., I've always used one bullet - the Partition. This in both my .27 cal. rifles and in my .338. I've since switched to North Forks for the .338 since I get slightly better accuracy and just as good or better performance with it.
I'm also looking at switching to the 150 North Fork for my .27 cal. rifles. For years I've used a .270 Win. on sheep & caribou and wouldn't hesitate to use it on moose and interior grizzly should the oppurtunity arise. Not to say I think everyone should but just that I'm highly confident with that rifle.
So, in short, I'd load up the most accurate, quality bullet I could find and start hunting Alaska.
Just my thoughts. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have a brown bear/moose combo in Sept. As of now, I am planning to take my .300 Win with 180 grain Accubonds. I know it will be fine for moose...what do you guys think of it for br bear? I would rather be titing my .375 H&H, but my .300 is light, has weathershield, is very accurate, and there are a couple other factors that weigh in.

I would think that 180 Accubond would double lung a br bear just fine, thoughts?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote