New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coastal Brown Bear Hunts by Boat
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you experienced Alaskan hunters ever book a hunt by boat for Brown Bears? I'd be curious to hear how thats done. Any seasickness? It has to be a drier hunt than sleeping in a tent and getting rained on for 10 days. I'm also interested in how the hunting is conducted. Is it all glassing? Do you beach a skiff and hunt inland? I'm all ears.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Never booked one but,......

During hunting season the bears should be around some kind of water. In the spring they'd be interested in what washed up on the beach in the form of carrion and in the fall they'd be interested in the same with the welcome addition of live, semi live and very dead salmon.

The boat helps find the dead walrus/ sea lion/ whale and then put you within stalking distance.

Posts: 9201 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
you stay on a big boat and take skiffs out in the evening. you motor up and down the coast & spot bears, then try to make a stalk on them. fun hunt. you probably will be forced into eating some fresh crab, fish, clams etc. too

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman,

I've worked with Parker Guide service for some time now and hunted both black bear and goats with them.

The spring hunts are coducted as butchloc described. You'll see quite a few bears and the hunt is not a butt buster at all. In fact it can be taken by folks who may have some mobility problems. The fall hunt will require you to walk the salmon streams targetting fishing bears. This can be an up close and personal expereince.

Parker's boat is superb at 80 feet. You will have your own private stateroom and bath. There is nothing like on the coast.

Seasickness is not an issue as the boat will be anchored in a protected cove and you will fly back and forth to the boat. If you are not seeing the bears Parker would like he will move the boat but because of its size you will not experience any discomfort.

Price is high but these boat hunts are the most comfortable way to take a big bear.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
you probably will be forced into eating some fresh crab, fish, clams etc. too

Coastal Alaskan don't suck . . . Might even see a whale, or two, or three.

Hey Mark T - You have any advice on WYO Unit 125 for mule deer? I will be there in mid Nov hunting them! Right in your backyard.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strapman/ I have done Brown bear hunts using a boat for base camp in '95' 03; black bear in '06 and '09. The first was NOT a good experience & I learned what I didn't want in a guide, despite taking a (less than average) bear. My next two hunts were with Master Guide Brad Dennison; hard working, knowledgeable, ethical guide. Great Experience. Last hunt was with Guide Eli Lucas. Another great guide; I had him booked again for this May before I blew out my knee. I am re-booked with him for next May. GMU 4 is where the largest population of Brownies seem to be; I am told the average squares out at 8'6". Spring is a good hunt. The booking for the first April hunt usually ends about May 8th; if there is a late spring with late heavy snows, you may not see many bears. The 2nd 10 day hunt usually starts May 10; sows start in heat about May 15 so you should see more mature males; also may see more with a rub spot in the hide. Last 10 day hunt starts about May 11th; lots of bears, but more rubbed hides. Brad meets you at your hotel & drives you to the pier to load your gear on his boat. He will return you there at the end of you hunt. No, I don't think you should have to fork out $$ for a float plane to get to the guide's boat! Yes, you can have some choppy seas geting to your primary hunting area; dramamine. Rest of your hunt should be in sheltered areas & you will be fine. I think there are several guides that will offer you a great hunt for far less than Mr Parker, unless you insist on 5 star cooks and a 5 star stateroom. Dale Adams offers a very good hunt as well. Both Brad & Dale are out of Sitka. Eli is out of Petersburg. I will not post the name of the guide for my first hunt; but I suggest you follow up carefully on references; insist that they be no later than the past 5 years & look carefully for many repeat clients. Call the huntrs & ask lots of questions; most are happy to relive their great memories. Alaska is a special place; the people are wonderful; it was my privilege to be able to go back more than once. OH; be sure to bring enough gun. Hope this helps/ Chcz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MM,

I know next to nothing about hunting Unit 125.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a fall boat hunt a few years ago. I selected a prominent guide and was disappointed in the bears shot. Three of four were small females. It was a very expensive hunt but I learned just because they are expensive doesn't make them the best. Talk to hunters from the previous season. I did not do that and went by reputation. In their defense I had a major knee issue and could not go after them up the streams the way you should but I don't think it mattered. I was told my bear was 8"6" squared. BS! It was barely 6.5'. Be careful because I think some of these boat hunts are really hammering the younger bears. I want to go again but will ask a lot more questions this time.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate your input guys. One reason I thought about hunting via boat is I use a CPAP and it should allow use of this valuable piece of equipment where a tent camp would be a problem. Climbing around hills and rocks is OK and I can do most of that just fine. It's the sleeping in a tent that bothers me. I understand that would and will restrict my hunting but my health and peace and comfort of my hunting partners is also a consideration.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
strapman,

I'm also a CPAP user. On a tent hunt you could arrange for a small generator and charge your CPAP batteries while you are off hunting. I have two batteries and a converter I bought from CPAP and the whole rig fits in my CPAP bag. In Africa I charge these batteries from the cigarette lighter in the Cruiser and you could do the same thing off a small generator. You could rent one easily for your trip or I think the outfitters I work with could arrange to have one in camp for you to use. I would not blow off a tented hunt because of the CPAP.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark, How big are the batteries you use? I checked with RESMED and they recommended a car battery! Way too heavy I would think.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I had never seen one of those things untill last spring. A friend of mine brought one to my cabin on a snowmachineing weekend with our daughters.
He used a small automotive battery that lasted him several days. If your concerned about disturbing the others on the hunt I would think it would be much easier to arrange for your own tent than it would to make special arrangements on a boat for sleeping quarters. Every boat hunt I've been on or hunted from everyone slept in one stateroom with two bunkbeds except the Captain who slept in the wheelhouse.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strapman/ I also use a CPAP. I just used an extension cord & the boat's generator ran during the night. I slept great! Hope this helps/ Chaz

Posts: 279 | Location: michigan | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. You're a big, big help and I appreciate it.