THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Paying 100% of the hunt before the hunt begins ..
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paying 100% of the hunt before the hunt begins ..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
It is easier to check a reputable guides history then it is for them to check an unknown hunter's.

Ditto's

That is the primary reason that it's the outfitter that goes out on a limb. It's a lot more difficult for the outfitter to check the background of the client/hunter he's about to enter into contract with. It's always a gamble. It is always nice when a client gives the outfitter some references of previous hunts with outfitters so that an outfitter can have some knowledge about the character and the integrity of someone who might cost he or her thousands of dollars. In the hunting industry there is the "Hunter's Report" for the hunter and there is "Amanda's List" to help guard the consumer from getting screwed by local contractors there should be an "Outfitter's Report" that posts previous dealings with hunting clients as well.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With the exception of where required by law never even had contracts most of the time. If a deposit was given at all it was 500 to 1500. Most times not required. All of my hunts were booked face to face and done over a meal, a couple drinks and a handshake. Trust is a two way street. Now when you book with someone you have never even met or the reverse in that you are the outfitter it makes it damn hard to get a read on the client dosnt it? That is one place DSC, SCI etc come in handy. You get to know people over a couple years of interaction and trust is formed on both sides. Then you decide to sit down and book a hunt with people that have become friends, stayed at your house etc. Not foolproof but a much more personal and in my mind safer way of doing business for all concerned. Before anyone starts the usual SCI bashing it isn't about the particular organization. I just use that as one example because it is one I am familiar with. Any other organization could do as well.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The only glitch I can see in your response, is that not everyone belongs to DSC/HSC/SCI etc. etc. etc., and that includes hunters/clients as well as guides/outfitters and I am not sure that ALL PH's belong to those organizations.

I can see where what you describe is a good, workable option, just not an option for everyone. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
it's true that face to face is best - but a close second is a recommendation of someone you know and trust.
Calling recommendations is useful - and if all of them say the same you stand a pretty good chance of having a good hunt.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4203 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Can anyone name a restaurant where you pay BEFORE you eat? I have never ate at one..but the food must be something else to pay beforehand. At any rate, I believe it is fair for a business owner to decide the payment plans and he informs the client what the deal is up front.

McDonald's!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
When you make a hunt deposit, you have committed to that time slot. If you don't show up, the hunting service can not recover the loss. However, if you give adequate notice, the service should allow you to transfer, reschedule or resell the hunt. If you or the service refill the time slot, the service should refund your deposit. If no such arrangement works out, the service is entitled to the deposit, since they have a short season and only so many slots available.

As far a paying at the end of the hunt: that is not reasonable. You should pay the deposit in advance, ask all the questions you need to ask by email, so as to have documentation, then determine on arrival that services are as described. If they are not as described, your request for a refund should be honored. But you can not haggle or withhold payment at the end of the hunt. Clients who pay at the end often try to extract extra services and time, since they feel they have the hunting service over a barrel. Hunting services would be justified in refusing to provide services to a client who does not pay the balance on arrival.

Where the giant black bears are.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The deposit protects the hunting service from a loss that is hard to replace during a short season. If the spot can be refilled, the service should refund. Clients who pay at the end sometimes hold the service over the barrel for extra services or time. A client should research the service in detail and receive a refund on arrival, if it turns out that things are not as described. A hunting service should not provide the services unless the balance is paid on arrival. A deposit must be large enough to compensate the seller's costs. Typically, about half of a hunt price is for the seller's overhead and the other half is his fee.

Where the giant black bears are.

Posts: 9 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 August 2012Reply With Quote