THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Pelican Rifle Case meet TSA requirements?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pelican Rifle Case meet TSA requirements?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
The title says it all. I'm looking at the Pelican double rifle case with wheels.

Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get straps to go around you case, more often than not, when my rifle arrives, most or all of the latches are open.

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had that happen when I used a Pelican case as well.
Of course I had locks on it, but when it came down the baggage ramp the latches were "flapping in the breeze".

The cause, the altitude caused the case to suck down, and get tighter, so the latches are loose.

I use a belt around the case, going through the handle so it does not slide of the case.

However the latches will still "flap", and might get broken, so I tape them down as well.

For the last several years I have been using the TuffPak.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you open the little vent on the side of your Pelican Case before you travel it won't suck down on itself. That's what the vent is for.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
surestrike, thanks for the info! I now feel bad for blaming airline employees Frowner, at least I didn't file a complaint.

Posts: 1073 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No straps, no latches flapping, no vents, no cut off locks, lots of room for other gear. Tuff Pak. The complete answer. Also safe arrival of contents Smiler

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
If you open the little vent on the side of your Pelican Case before you travel it won't suck down on itself. That's what the vent is for.

Really dumb question, how do you open it? I turned it clockwise but really can't tell any difference. Does it pull out?

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Righty tighty, lefty loosie.

Larry Sellers

quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Really dumb question, how do you open it? I turned it clockwise but really can't tell any difference. Does it pull out?

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think some of the newer Pelican cases have a valve that self adjusts, you cannot open or close it yourself. It has been on the smaller cases for a while and they might have started putting it on the larger cases as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I meant counter-clockwise lol ... 'righty tighty'

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck,

It's not new or cool but the welded aluminum ICC cases are hard to beat for rugged dependability and you only need one padlock. I've had mine for about 18 years and it works as well now as it did when it was brand new. You can get them with wheels now which I highly recommend.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12868 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1!!!!!!!!!

Mine worked great. Not easy to navigate through airports though.