New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jet boat or atv??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on another forum to see the responses and on the canadian hunting,should have posted it here.If you could have one toy to use for recreation and hunting and fishing would you rather have an atv or jet boat.Up here we can use the atv for about 7 months then install a plow and use it for the other 5 months.The jet can get on the rivers in early may for spring bear and then lake fish all summer and moose and grizzly hunt the rivers until late october.A tuff choice.Any idea's??

Posts: 120 | Location: yukon | Registered: 11 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz,

The type of country you are in dictates what manner of transportation works best. Were I live it is the confluence of 2 river systems. These systems are navigable by jet boat for over a hundred miles. Most of the land is either rough or mushy tundra so a boat is the only chose here. In some other areas of Alaska the ATV can be the ticket if the ground is fairly dry, firm and navigable rivers are not present.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12873 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can the choice.

Get the atv (it's the cheaper of the two) first, then save your pennies for the jet boat later.

"He who dies with the most toys wins"

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Griz That�s tuff I have a jeep that I have used for years. Than I bought 22� North River jet boat with a 454 Chevy and 212 pump. Which is great but than I got hooked on striper fishing and bought a 18� North River flat bottom with a 130 Honda pump. Last year got myself the new rancher 400. I have never been to Alaska so I don�t know what it is like. But if I had to make a guess I would say get the boat.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I don't see it as a difficult choice. There are limited areas that you can use an ATV, and those trails are chock full of other RTV's. You can cover alot more terrain with a jet boat, and carry alot more gear. The plows look like fun, but I think a snowblower does a better job of clearing the driveway.

Personally, I'm building a 23' cabin cruiser. I can't run the shallow rivers, but can run in salt water, lakes, and the bigger rivers. In Southcentral, that allows me to fish for all species, and get to the islands for black bears and blacktail deer. I can also moose hunt from some of the larger lakes.

With a heated pilot house, I can run year round in the salt water, but figure most often I'll use it April through October, with occasional March or December use should there be a warm spell. Now if I could just get finished building it and get it out on the water!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote