New
Find
Notify
Tools

weatherby big bores
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone unpleased with thier bigger caliber weatherby rifles, pertaining to durability, service and etc?.. Im considering a 458 lott in the custom (deluxe?), and have heard some rumers of problems over the past years in the weatherby lineup.. the reason im looking at weatherby is becouse they have a castoff stock, and most of the other quality bigger guns do not.. thanks..

hunter, blackpowder shooter, photographer, gemology, trap shooter,duck hunter,elk, deer, etc..

Posts: 249 | Location: central montana | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a CZ 550 American Safari 458 Lott and I own the 257 500 WBY Mag. I wouldn't trade that CZ for 10 WBY's. I like my WBY and I like my CZ.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Granted my Accumark isn't a big bore but it is a 338-378 so we are talking a bunch of powder being burnt here and substantial recoil. I've never had any problem of any kind with it nor have I heard of anybody else having any issues with their big bore deluxes. If you are wondering, yes I am a Weatherby fan and yes, I do own other brands. The Weatherby lineup is a bit pricey but they are outstanding rifles.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
for what its worth - i had a 460 weatherby once. it was the worst POS i ever had. coming out of the custom shop, the checking had 1" overruns. the trigger was a canjar single set (just what you need on a 460) it wouldn't fit in the trigger guard so they just ground off the bottom and left the sharp edge. I cut the chit out of my finger the 1st shot. the inletting was so bad that i used up over 1 full accraglas kit on it.

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I have a 340, and the thing is tough. I have had several Mark V. rifles. A 378 was pretty darn tough as well.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a Weatherby fan and have experienced no durability or service problems with .378 Wby, .416 Wby, or .460 Wby. I can tell you that all manufacturers experience problems at one time or another. Some of the most accurate factory rifles I own are out-of the box Weatherby rifles. I like the Deluxe model best of all.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I must be very lucky as all the Mark Vs I've had have been excellent. I'm a mod. 70 guy, both old and new but I also like WBYS. I've had a couple of 300s, 2 378s and a 460. Very well put together and bedded and all have been accurate. I've got another 378 on the way, should be here Sun. Smiler

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted a Mark V Deluxe in 270 Wby Magnum, it's moving up my list day by day.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of stuntpilot2
posted Hide Post
It seems there are few subjects that generate as much controversy as the adequacy of Weatherby rifles.

I maintain that all the esoterica about caliber/make is less important that comfort/experience shooting the specific rifle in field conditions. As the old saying goes, "It's the archer, not the arrow"

For what it's worth, I've taken all of the Big 5 with a 35 yr old factory Mk V 460 WBY I bought used. Factory ammo. No problems. Consistently 1 - 1.5 MOA.

Posts: 214 | Location: Texas | Registered: 24 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ffffg

I have a fair amount of experience with several Weatherby rifles.

In calibres 257, 300, 340, 378, 416 WBY's, and several 375 H&H's and several 458 Win Mags.

They have all been accurate and functioned perfect.

Many of these rifles were fired several thousand rounds.

While my current favorite bolt rifle is a Blaser R 93, I would not hesitate to use a Weatherby.

In fact a 458 Win Mag Weatherby saved my life, and the life of several others.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father hunted all over the world with his German made Weatherby Mark V Deluxe. That rifle had the living hell beaten out of it. He never had a single problem and it is still accurate today. He took several African animals, including a great lion, with his .340 Weatherby (Japan Made). I have a Japan made Mark V Deluxe in .300 that is a great machine. When Weatherby first shifted production from Japan to the U.S. in the 1990s, there were quality problems with the stocks. I experienced, first hand, pathetic checkering on wood, cracks on new synthetic, and bad fit. I hear that they are now back to Weatherby quality and from what I have seen, it's true that all is good to go.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote