Find
Notify
Tools

4-wheelers, ptarmigan, caribou
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi everyone,
I am moving to Anchorage very soon and had a few questions for the sourdoughs.

1. Are 4 wheelers useful for getting in to more remote areas off of the main road system for fishing and hunting. We have 2 that we use in the really rough areas of Arizona that the company will pay to move, but I am wondering if a flat bottom skiff with a pump might not be better.

2. IS there any ptarmigan hunting near Anchorage, or do you need to get north and toward real expanses of tundra?

3. How far from Anchorage do you have to go for caribou?

I will probably be working for one of the air taxi outfits flying something, so getting dropped off at a lake some place would not be tough, but taking my wife and dogs along probably demands a different approach.

Thanks for any info.

Doug Koenig

Posts: 85 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 03 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yes ATV's are very usefull, so is the jon boat with Jet. Bring all 3 You will use them all.

Yes there is some decent bird hunting around town. Good grouse around the sterling area (Up here a 150mile drive one way isnt that bad).

As for caribou, well count out the nelchina herd unless you lie on your application. Its supposed to be a subsistance hunt but to many folks from town with there big RV's and trailerfull of ATV's are starving so you wont get a tag. You can do the haul road if you are IBEP qualified (archery).

There is the 40mile herd up around the Tok area, if you keep your schedule open. F&G seems to open and close it randomly, depends on where there herd is. They dont want to many bou taken if they are close to the road. They are looking out for the herd so you gotta be flexible. Otherwise its fly-in. They have caribou on the kenai peninsula that is a draw and if drawn its a hike-in or horseback hunt. They are usually quite aways in.

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know some folks use 4 wheelers to hunt the 40 mile herd north and east of Tok..but as has been stated, the season can be closed at any time. Some folks also use 4-wheelers to hunt their moose...but like everything else, it takes a good bit of knowledge and practice to make something look simple, like hunting from the road system. Many hunts involve a serious plane ride, if only for 2 hours, and/or a boat ride, to get out to descent hunting grounds. Freqently there are ptarmigan where ever there are caribou..that may be an overly broad generalization but it is not totallly untrue. I do not have a 4-wheeler, and I would use one if I had one. However, I kill plenty of stuff every year without one. I have someone fly me out to good hunting grounds and get the animals that way. It always takes hard work and good luck.

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote