Notify
Tools

Newbie here
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello all,

This is my first post here at AR.com A little about myself:

I live in Palmer and work in Anchorage. I am a beyond help long range shooter and hunter. I do electrical work on the side to support my shooting habbits. My favorite game to hunt is Dall Sheep. Have taken 4 rams.

Posts: 25 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Welcome!

Don't take my title of moderator as meaning anything, I'm just a fellow shooter and hunter. Saeed just figured that since an Alaskan forum was requested, and I was an Alaskan, he made me the moderator.

I live in Eagle River and work in Anchortown. Work and family obligations have limited my hunting time. I'm interested in medium to large bore rifles, and revolvers. I cast bullets on the side to keep me in primers and powder.

It's a pretty good group here, and unlike some Alaskan hunting forums, your posts won't be edited or deleted by the management. There are no guides or equipment manufacturers paying the bills that we have to worry about offending.

We'll do our best to allow everyone to be equally offended (gear pimps, guides, non-res, greenies, bunny huggers, sports hunters, subsistance and anyone else I may have missed) It's a pretty even keeled group, just want to let you know you are free to express your views.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Michael:

You're a long range shooter?

I live near Palmer, too. I'd imagine that both you and Paul H use the Birchwood Range for your shooting pleasure. But do you use the place for your long range shooting?

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello,

I shoot some at the Izzac Walton range in Birchwood. It isnt near far enough so I shoot alot at the Knik bar up twards Friday creek for my 300-1k shooting.

I dont Know Paul H. Sorry!

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I only get to shoot during lunchtime, so use Rabitt Creek.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"...I shoot alot at the Knik bar up twards Friday creek for my 300-1k shooting."

What a coincidence. My favorite shooting camp was up Friday Creek just to the mouth of the gorge. On the left is a nice little grove of trees. I'd camp there and shoot across the creek toward the opposite canyon wall. There was always a crosswind coming out of the canyon, but I remember what an wise man told me once: "A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor".

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can I ask you your first name?

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking webpage, Michael.

The "long range rifle" I had built is a Rem 700 in 300 WM. It's topped with a Shepard scope. Unfortunately, I don't shoot as much as I used to, and haven't even finished building the load for the rifle. I've so far worked with the 190 & 200 grain Sierra Match bullets.

My name is Mark.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mark,

I am having a 300 RUM built as we speak. 700 action, Lilja #7 straight taper, and McMillan HTG...It will be a nice LR rig. Eventually, I will put a NF NXS on it. For now the trusty Mark 4 will be its glass.

Do you know a guy named Brent? He's another LR shooter that shoot out twards Friday creek.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, I don't know Brent.

I did have an interesting encounter on a trip in there one spring. It was early April, and I was driving my Bronco in there. At Jim Creek I met a fella coming out on a Big Red. We stopped and talked. He said his name was Oswald, and his 70 or 80-something old dad lived near the mouth of Friday Creek, up against the base of the mountain above the floodplain. I think he used to guide up there many years ago.

I told him where I shoot, figuring I was close enough for them to hear, and asked if I was bothering them. He told me that I was fine. He invited me to stop in for coffee some time. I never did, cause I haven't been up there much since. Honey-do list got too big.