New
Find
Notify
Tools

SEA DUCK Guides recommendations
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a sea duck hunt. I am a collector and am looking for Harlequin and King Eider primarily for lifesize mounts and a good waterfowl hunting experience. I realize this may require 2 separate hunts.

I do not know anyone who has done these hunts so I am asking for input from those who have hunted these birds first hand as to the outfitter they used, the guide they used, and the best time of the year to go for each of my primary targets. Any other pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

SG

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted sea ducks either, but did look into one of these hunts in Alaska quite a few years ago. From my reseach I remember that Katchemak Bay Wilderness Lodge was one of the primary waterfowl outfitters in Alaska. I believe the master guide's name is Mike McBride, and his lodge is situated on China Poot Bay, which is across Katchemak Bay from Homer. He also used to guide eider hunts on St. Lawrence Island, out of Savoonga I believe.

He specializes in collectors of sea duck species, as well as eiders from what I remember.

Posts: 3860 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks I will check them

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry SG OLDS I posted my response under "new" instead of "reply" look for it there

posted Hide Post
I've hunted twice with Paul in Kodiak. Highly recommend him. Harlequins will be no problem but plan on working hard for the King Eiders. Best advice would be spend 1 1/2 weeks waiting on good weather to get out on open water to have a chance for Kings. Good luck

http://kodiakoutdoors.com/inde...m_frontpage&Itemid=1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been lucky enough to have hunted in a number of places over the years, and with many different outfitters. but I can honestly say that without question that Paul is THEE very best. He has the very best areas for all the different speices that he hunts, he has excellent equipment,he hires great people (esp Dave), safety minded at all times, always in control. Although there are alot of great outfitters out there,Paul is at the very top, and there are others that would do us all a favor if they would follow his lead. You couldn't do any better, good luck and say hello to Paul, Angie & Dave

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Booked with akduckhunts.com for a sea duck, dusky geese and ptarmigan hunt Nov 6-9. It will be out of Valdez. I will report the results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have returned.

Great trip. This was a trophy hunt for me and I shot for the wall rather than for the limits. Although one morning I went out with the 2 Avery prostaff/Wildfowl guys and we each shot a limit of Barrow's and one of them got a dusky goose. We hunted over decoys including hand carved Harli decoys by Jeff Coats (Pit Boss), plus out of layout boats and out of regular boats. 2 days of sun and 2 days of Alaska weather. I recommend this trip for the ducks I shot. The guides, Tim Bouchard and Brian Rhodes were excellent hunters and completely safety conscious at sea. I have no negatives to report. Alaska Wildfowl Adventures www.akduckhunts.com

I sent my taxidermist:

4 Drake Harlequins
4 Drake Barrow's Goldeneye
2 Drake Surf Scoter's
2 Drake Buffleheads
1 Drake Old Squaw

Those combined with the Tundra Swan I sent him the week before are going to go a long way to fill in the spaces around the big game mounts.

SG

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on your success. Iceland is the only country in Europe to have Harlequins, it is protected however as is the Eider due to the value of the down.

Posts: 51 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 25 September 2008Reply With Quote