THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    12 GA SUPER SHORTY for brown bear defence
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

12 GA SUPER SHORTY for brown bear defence
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of emron
posted
Serbu has come up with a 3 shot, pmp action, 4 lb 16 inch, 12 guage, launching platform for hard cast slugs. What does everyone think of this as an alternative to the 44 etc handgun coterie?
For a fisherman looking to defend against predatory bears?

Posts: 396 | Location: usa | Registered: 26 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A good bear spray would be first on my list with chest holder.
If you feel you need a firearm I would choose the firearm that you are most proficient with revolver, shotgun or bolt rifle. I know of very few folk that are proficient with a 44 mag revolver. I fall into that category, for me it's not a revolver but the shotgun or rifle even if they are more cumbersome.
As for slugs I believe the Brenneke slugs are superior to any slug on the market the 2 3/4" 450 grain or 3" 600 grain black magic magnums. They make an even harder slug that is armor piercing which I'm sure would be a good choice just haven't tried it out yet.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I'm not familiar with the rig but if controlable I'm sure it'd be fine.

I think handguns were recently noted to be statistically effective as bear defense.

If my hands are full of fishing rods and related gear I'd prefer to try to grab a one handed firearm in a hurry rather than a two handed one.

Pepper spray is a preferable alternative for bear defense since its non lethal, not as hard to aim and cheaper.

I usually carry a large cal handgun and have a large cal rifle around somewhere.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pepper spray is a preferable alternative for bear defense since its non lethal, not as hard to aim and cheaper.

All depends on who you talk too.

Its an alternative perferable is questionable.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:

The studies that have been done indicate pepper spray works well. It's not perfect but neither are firearms.

I buy the largest size can I can find and pay attention to shelf life. And I keep it handy--if it's in your pack you might just as well not have it. If you are going to carry it, get an extra can and use it for practice. You need to know how far out it's effective and how much is in the can.

Bears that are bluff charging get shot often--an unnecessary event. If you shoot a bear you are legally stuck with skinning it, salvaging the hide and skull and getting them sealed--all a very big hassle that could be avoided with pepper spray.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:

Maybe you remember that .458 win recommended pepper spray? Who exactly do you think has more experience or whos opinion holds more weight than Shoemaker regarding Alaskan bears?

Look, you've made it clear that as a born and bred Wisconsinite you don't feel safe without some kind of magnum firearm handy to protect yourself from savage maurading whitetail. However, the Alaskans with actual big bear experience don't hold your same opinion.

I live at the confluence of the Wood and Nushagak rivers. This river system combines for an annual return of salmon that always numbers more than a million. Know what that means? Bear food, lots of bear food. Know what that means? Bears, lots of bears and big ones at that. I camp, hunt, sport fish, sleep and work in bear country. If I leave trash or fish or a snickers bar outside my shop over night its gone and not because one of your Wisconsin racoons were on the warpath.

My wife, a born and bred Alaskan carries pepper spray. My wife owns guns, uses guns and has access to lots of guns, (mine,) but she choses to carry the pepper spray.

What seems to be your problem? What exactly is it in Alaska that paralizes you with such fear? I know its not actual bear experience.

As a reminder, all bears killed in self defense in Alaska must be skinned and the head removed from the carcass and turned over to the ADFG as required by law. If you do not do so the ADFG will happily return with you to the location of the incident to watch you do so. Get this and get this good! Nothing and I mean nothing is as unpleasant as skinning and beheading a several day dead and rotting brown bear. Ok Alaskans, you got me, beheading a dead and rotten walrus is worse, but the Wisconsinites can't relate. If you don't have to, don't DLP a bear. Its not fun.

As Vic noted, studies have indicated pepper spray and handguns work well. Shotguns were seen to be not as good. Believe me when I tell you that most sensible experienced Alaskans manage to avoid bear confrontations without firing a shot or a blast of spray.

True, I have been recently interested in buying an Airlite .44. I think its neat-o.

Posts: 9119 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True, I have been recently interested in buying an Airlite .44. I think its neat-o.

Scott,
I've actually shot a few of these and recoil is not all that bad and they're weight is such that the carry comfort level goes up a notch or two.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also asked Phil when he was going to give up his firearms he nevered andswered.

The pepper spray is studied by anti gunners and pro never kill a bear people IMHO.

I don't live in AK I traveled and camped Hunted in AK, Canidian and every lower 48 state that has grizzys bears.

I only had two bear problems both black bears both in Northern MNs BWCA wilderness. In hundreds of camping days

Both were camp wise bears educated by sloppy campers. Frist was chased out of camp he left.

2nd was shot under Lic. and had most likely had bit a young lady 2 days before I shot it. Same camp site where the lady told me she had been bit I saw the teeth marks. This bear had been raiding camps for a good month before I shot it during season.

I normmally have to chase black bears out of my yard several times a year.

One dosen't have to live in AK to have bear experience.

Carry Pepper spray if you want I perfer a good firearm.

I find that after studing bear attacks for decades carrying a firearm instead of pepper spray seems to be a better idea.

Carry all the pepper spray you want dosen't effect or bother me one bit.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
quote:

Scott,
I've actually shot a few of these and recoil is not all that bad and they're weight is such that the carry comfort level goes up a notch or two.

I think I'll have to get one, been thinking that for a while. Seems to me that reloads going not all too fast but in a heavier bullet would achieve the goal of penetration without excessive recoil. Thanks for the tip on your experience. I keep finding other things to spend the money on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6108036/m/4561002571

A man died after being attacked by two bears near a residential house on the outskirts of the Far Eastern port of Vilyuchinsk, police said on Monday.

The man was walking some 400 meters away from the house when he was attacked.

Police tracked down the bears and killed them.

Meanwhile, local residents said they had seen a bear with a cub on the outskirts of the city. The area has been patrolled around the clock to prevent more attacks.

This spring bears in the region woke up from their winter hibernation earlier than usual, and a lack of food resources is likely to prompt the animals to move closer to residential areas.

The Kamchatka brown bear, also known as the Far Eastern brown bear, is one of the largest in the world, with its body length reaching 3 meters and its weight 700 kilograms. The Far Eastern Kamchatka Peninsula is home to more than 18,000 brown bears.

Several bear attacks on people are registered in the region every

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Maybe you remember that .458 win recommended pepper spray? Who exactly do you think has more experience or whos opinion holds more weight than Shoemaker regarding Alaskan bears?

Hey Scott obviously guys like you and Phil have way more experience than most of us when it comes to dealing with brown bears day in and day out. And I totally agree with your avoid a DLP bear kill at all costs if possible. However I will say that I have guided summer bear viewers on Kodiak and in Katmai for 12 years and the first 6 years I never carried anything but pepper spray. Until I had to spray one. I was really unimpressed. Now I always carry a gun. If I need to get a bears attention I find throwing rocks works as well or better than pepper spray and I have more than 7 seconds of rocks around most lakes and rivers and I can throw them farther. Obviously bluff charges heat up the situation even more but for me a round in the dirt gives a non-lethal deterrent and leaves me felling better that the gun is already in my hands in case the charge is not a bluff. Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you don't have to, don't DLP a bear. Its not fun.

This is wise counsel.

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Antlers:
quote:
If you don't have to, don't DLP a bear. Its not fun.

This is wise counsel.

All I'm sayin'.

Alaskan High Adventure is finding the grayling stacked like cordwood in the hole you think noone has ever fished. Alaskan High Adventure is setting the hook on a fly with your spey rod in a big chrome king. AHA, (Alaskan High Adventure,) is calling for a half or full hour and out of nowhere a big bull moose steps out of the willows at thirty yards and offers in moose speak to really beat the crap out of you.

A really genuinely fucked up trip to Alaska involves making say six bad decisions that put you in conflict with a bear. Your six bad choices are closely followed by the bears bad choices to close the distance with you. Only after your six and the bears couple bad choices do you find you've made additional bad choices previous to getting on the plane bound for Anchorage/ Fairbanks in that you didn't pack pepper spray instead of the gun, and since you brought the gun you should have thought to bring a pack frame, skinning knives, hatchet or butcher saw, strapping for tying the hide to the frame you didn't bring, and most importantly, inexpensive clothing you are comfortable with throwing away after you skin the DLP'd bear since the clothing is soaked in rancid bear smells and no ammount of "Tide" will cleanse it.

Bear hunting is fun, big fun. I've done it, do it and will continue to do it. I've got a scored 27 3/8" skull on the shelf and a 9'9" rug on the wall. I've got brown bears around the shop, the house, the king fishing camp, the moose hunting camp, my customers property, the native corporation property, state land and fed land. I got bears like pdog's got gophers. I am telling you that in 99% of the cases it takes a series of serious screw ups to get yourself crossways with a bear up here. Rather than packing cannons howzabout mebbe not screwing up quite so much?

I'm guessing that if bears were extinct in North America pdog would still travel and adventure armed to the teeth in fear of Bigfoot, the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster and a rumored Jurrasic Park.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm guessing that if bears were extinct in North America pdog would still travel and adventure armed to the teeth in fear of Bigfoot, the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster and a rumored Jurrasic Park

One hand gun is being armed to the teeth thats a good one.

You have no glue what being armed to the teeth is.

On the job a rifle, shotgun and a couple of handguns was just normal. I considered that just being well armed.

One hand gun is almost being under armed.

Why does one wear selt belts, a PFD. Have emergency supplys, a fire extinguisher, frist aid kit ect. They are all smart things to have available.

One thing they all have in common they are all worthless if you don't have them on or with you when you need them.

99 percent of the time one doesn't need any of them most of the time it just a srew up when you do. Stop srewing up and one well never need them.

Oh wait is wasn't my fault the drunk driver crossed the center line.

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
quote:

Amen. It's always interesting to read these type of posts...

I have lived (sometimes under the same roof - OK in my garage) around Brown Bears for 16 years
and I rarely carry unless I am going someplace where I know the bears have a bit of an attitude.

I just saw a guy Sunday walking around King Salmon w/ a loaded 500 on his chest. In my book, he would be a notch more dangerous than most brown bears around town. The pilot made him unload his gun before he got in the plane...

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by emron:
Serbu has come up with a 3 shot, pmp action, 4 lb 16 inch, 12 guage, launching platform for hard cast slugs. What does everyone think of this as an alternative to the 44 etc handgun coterie?
For a fisherman looking to defend against predatory bears?

To me the right answer in handguns is 475 or 50 caliber, and rifles 33 on up.

To me shotguns are for birds, and anything trying to make them suitable for big game is a compromise. I can't see a compromise as ever being the right choice when trusting your life on it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I'm guessing that if bears were extinct in North America pdog would still travel and adventure armed to the teeth in fear of Bigfoot, the Yeti, the Loch Ness Monster and a rumored Jurrasic Park

One hand gun is being armed to the teeth thats a good one.

You have no glue what being armed to the teeth is.

On the job a rifle, shotgun and a couple of handguns was just normal. I considered that just being well armed.

One hand gun is almost being under armed.

Why does one wear selt belts, a PFD. Have emergency supplys, a fire extinguisher, frist aid kit ect. They are all smart things to have available.

One thing they all have in common they are all worthless if you don't have them on or with you when you need them.

99 percent of the time one doesn't need any of them most of the time it just a srew up when you do. Stop srewing up and one well never need them.

Oh wait is wasn't my fault the drunk driver crossed the center line.

Pdog I agree with you. I'm more than proficient with my 1911 45 Super, but I would feel very very undergunned against a grizzly / brown bear. My 375 Weatherby would be ok, my 500 Jeffery would be a lot better, unfortunately it's rarely the case I'll have them in my hand unless I'm hunting. So my course of action is stay still and talk, then yell if they keep approaching, finally shoot if you have absolutely no other choice.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Grabbed from the 'throne': Man on camping trip survives outhouse bear attack

By msnbc.com staff

A 65-year-old Canadian man had a trip to the outhouse that he’ll never forget.

Gord Shurvell of Winnipeg says he was doing his business when a black bear barged in and attacked him, leaving him with scratches and a head puncture wound, before his friend shot the animal.

<br>
Follow @msnbc_world

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Shurvell recounted his tale of survival to CBC News on Wednesday.

He said he and his friend, 63-year-old Daniel Alexander, were on a camping and fishing trip near Dunbar Lake, about 37 miles north of Sioux Lookout, Ontario, when the attack happened early Saturday.

Advertise | AdChoices

He told CBC he went to use the bathroom, leaving the door open so he could enjoy the morning view, when the bear barged in.

"I'm sitting on the throne, and my feet are sort of up on the 'poopstool,' we call it," he told CBC.

"So I'm kicking at him to get away, but he grabbed my pants that were down around my ankles. And that was the start of it, and he just kept coming."

He said the bear got a hold of him by the right shoulder and dragged him out of the outhouse toward the bush.

“I’m screaming for my buddy to come with a gun,” he said.

Alexander was in the cabin when he heard the commotion.

"I started out of the cabin and something clicked in, and I thought 'bear.' I turned around, went back into the cabin and got the gun," Alexander told CBC.

Alexander said the bear dropped his friend and turned toward him. That’s when he took aim and shot the bear in the head, killing it.

Of course one would never have to have a gun with him.

Shurvell was treated at a hospital for scratches on his head, neck and arms, as well as a puncture in the back of his head.

One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Those Ontario bears have no sense of common decency! Wink

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
A good bear spray would be first on my list with chest holder.

The spray doesn't work on animals. As in the burning sensation. What scares them, if they are going to be scared, is the sudden appearance of the mist and it hitting them, but that is all.

Pepper spray is used by urbanites to make them feel safe, it is a false sense of security.

If you want a shorty get one with a stock because you still have to aim.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I deal with bears on almost a daily basis all summer long - as I am writing this there is a breeding pair that I can see from the window 1/2 mile from the house - and On the very few times I have used it spray has worked as intended.

Sure I carry a gun - I have most days for the past forty years - but I have not had to use them on any "predatory bears".

Bearanoia, as we call it up here, is an unfounded fear of the unknown. Bring a gun if it makes you feel better, but I still recommend spray as the best defense for virtually everybody visiting Alaska

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The spray doesn't work on animals. As in the burning sensation. What scares them, if they are going to be scared, is the sudden appearance of the mist and it hitting them, but that is all.

Talking with a postman who has sprayed a lot of dogs and gotten bit. Having carried spray on the job for many years and talking with lots of officers who have used it and used it myself.

What I found if the person/critter isn't really determined to get you it works.

Having been trained to fight through getting sprayed one can still fight and even shoot getting hits after being sprayed.

A determined person/critter well just fight through spray and keep coming.

Spray has saved some bears that might over wise have been killed and saved some people that might over wised been mauled.

I leave it up to the person who is carring what to carry. One make their choices and live with that choice.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
I leave it up to the person who is carring what to carry. One make their choices and live with that choice.

Were there even a shred of truth in that statement you'd not so vociferously argue with everyone that advises the use of anything other than a firearm.

I remain impressed at the intelligence and bravery the internet bestowes on its posters.

Clearly the consensus of those living in Alaska does not agree with pdogs bearanioa.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I don't know what postmen carry but knowing the gov't would be suspicious as to it's potency.

Either way, I recommend spray for a number of reasons.
1. most visitors don't understand bears or bear behavior - otherwise they wouldn't talk about "predatory bears".
2. Very Few folks are competent enough to hit with a handgun when they are under stress.
3. I recommend spray for the same reason police carry it - it is a first line of defense that has been proven to work in most situations. Especially the newer stuff.
4. You can buy a can when you arrive in Alaska for less than a box of ammo.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Jetboater
posted Hide Post
What was the result after the spray was used. Was the bear affected for some time after? Or did it just put it off at the time?

Also how many predatory attack's are there in Alaska. Alberta seems to have a few every couple of years, some sorted out by spray, some by firearms, some are just the investigation after with a body recovery.

One may never run into a bear issue that needs to be sorted out by firearm, but if it does, being armed would be more than handy.

Posts: 99 | Location: SW Alberta, up against the rocks | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I recommend spray for the same reason police carry it - it is a first line of defense that has been proven to work in most situations. Especially the newer stuff.

Might be used frist depending. Most police are taught use it as a 2nd line after being verbal

Not as a subsitute to other neans of defense as called for. One would not use spray if ones life was truely endanger one would skip the other means and go to deadly force.

If an officer life is in immediate danger they are taught to skip the other steps and go to deadly force.

Useing spray on a suspect that is a immediate threat to your life is not recommended.

I wouldn't use spray on a suspect that is armed with edge weapons and is a threat.

Unless I had a protective barrier between myself and them. They were on the other side of a vehicle, chain link fence, several officers with ballistic sheilds backed up by armed officers, where there axcess to me was limited. Then it might be a option.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote]Were there even a shred of truth in that statement you'd not so vociferously argue with everyone that advises the use of anything other than a firearm[/quote

Scott I belive your the one vociferusly agruing aginst firearms and for spray..

I have always said use spray if you want to. Personally I belive being armed with a good firearm is a better choice for me.

If ones personal skill level,experience, training is not up to the task of useing a weapon when necessary and properly. Then one needs to chose another weapon that one can use properly.

No matter what that weapon is.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
We are comparing apples to oranges here.

First line of defense with bears is something cops are not taught to do. simply remove yourself from the situation - we are not arresting or trying to subdue or capture bears and they are not "out to get us" they simply want to be left alone in their habitat.

otherwise of course you always use verbal, or any other means of "communication", to let them know you are human and if that fails then stand your ground and be prepared to use your pepper spray.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
to let them know you are human and if that fails then stand your ground and be prepared to use your pepper spray.

And Phil if the spray fails then what.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Use your imagination - that seems to be what is driving this entire thread.

If there is one thing that Timothy Treadwell ( Grizzly Man) did actually prove during his 13 years of living among the bears and both intentionally and un-intentionally provoking them was that bears are quite tolerant.
Had he done the same shenanigans at some cowboy or biker bar in any state he would not have lived more than one year.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Phil, anyone who doesn't take your advice about bears better have a ton of experience or they are just plain stupid ...

As far as biker bars, I was in a back brace using a cane in 1978 (went from my neck to below my crotch) from a 3 story fall doing contruction in Missoula in Feb of that year. My buddy RJ (recon sniper in VietNam 3 tours) and I went out for a beer at Luke's in Missoula. Somehow it had changed from a college bar to a biker bar while I was convalescing. Biker ran into my bar stool with his Harley and I broke his nose with my cane and knocked him out cold with 10 of his friends around. It was a beautiful swing though. So I definitely qualify as stupid ... Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Chuck, as I have always said " If you are going to be stupid - you have to be tough "

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
We are comparing apples to oranges here.

First line of defense with bears is something cops are not taught to do. simply remove yourself from the situation - we are not arresting or trying to subdue or capture bears and they are not "out to get us" they simply want to be left alone in their habitat.

otherwise of course you always use verbal, or any other means of "communication", to let them know you are human and if that fails then stand your ground and be prepared to use your pepper spray.

That exact advise has been offered several times both on this discussion and on many others on this forum and ones like it. Its unfortunate for everyone involved that the tourists pay it so little credence.

Memorial Day weekend the missus and I headed out for an overnight camping trip into an are that Ithought would be a good one for moose shed hunting. Didn't find a one. However we did have a rather large bear cruise by camp and although he was aware of us, as .458 mentioned, he seemed inclined to leave us alone provided we showed him the same courtesy. We obliged and no hairs were put out of place.

Amazing.

No bearanoia here.

One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Use your imagination - that seems to be what is driving this entire thread.

If there is one thing that Timothy Treadwell ( Grizzly Man) did actually prove during his 13 years of living among the bears and both intentionally and un-intentionally provoking them was that bears are quite tolerant.
Had he done the same shenanigans at some cowboy or biker bar in any state he would not have lived more than one year.

Get it pdog? Stop acting like a Treadwell and you'll not be treated ike one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Get it pdog? Stop acting like a Treadwell and you'll not be treated ike one.

What does using sensible precautions around bears have any thing to do with a tree hugging fool like Treadwell.

Treadwell didn't use spray or firearms and placed himself and girl freind in danger.

One thing Treadwell proved no matter how much one thinks he knows about bears all it takes is one to prove that you are wrong. Might be the frist one or might be 999 one

I have never advocated any of his foolishness or stuip ways.

I have a lot of respect for bears one can never trust them.

Personal attacks only show a losing argument.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have a lot of respect for bears one can never trust them.

I also have a lot or respect for bears and in the past 33 years I have learned that you can trust them a lot more than you can people.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of A7Dave
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Were there even a shred of truth in that statement you'd not so vociferously argue with everyone that advises the use of anything other than a firearm.

I remain impressed at the intelligence and bravery the internet bestowes on its posters.

Clearly the consensus of those living in Alaska does not agree with pdogs bearanioa.

Scott,

Just give it up. This is who you're arguing with:

http://www.southparkstudios.co...preparing-for-battle

Dave

Posts: 919 | Location: AKexpat | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a lot or respect for bears and in the past 33 years I have learned that you can trust them a lot more than you can people

Sure I carry a gun - I have most days for the past forty years - but I have not had to use them on any "predatory bears".

[/QUOTE]

Phil I am sure your human guests under stand when you greet and meet them with a can of spray ready to use on them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
CBC News black bear that attacked a man who was soaking in his hot tub on Sunday afternoon has been shot and killed by police in Whistler, B.C.

The 55-year-old Coquitlam man was relaxing in the backyard hot tub with his back to the forest when he was struck by a blow to the head that knocked him over in the tub, according to a statement released by police on Monday morning.

When he turned around to investigate, he found himself face to face with a male black bear, said Staff Sgt. Steve LeClair.

The man yelled at the bear and retreated to the safety of his home and called police, who located the bear about 100 metres away in the forest and shot it.

Police say a necropsy will be done on the bear in an attempt to determine the motivation for the attack.

The man was treated for cuts on the back of his head at the local health

one of us
posted Hide Post
June 1st

Bear Attacks 74-Year-Old Woman in Tent

Posted by ! WCTI StaffPAYSON, AZ - A 74-year-old Arizona woman was injured Thursday morning when a bear ripped a hole in the tent where she, her husband, and their dog had been sleeping.

According to Arizona Game and Fish officials, the attack occurred around 4:30 a.m. at the Ponderosa Campground in Tonto National Forest, about 10 miles east of Payson.

Officials said after tearing open the tent, the bear reportedly stuck its head in and clawed at the woman, leaving her with bruises and a laceration on her scalp.

The Apache Junction woman was treated at Payson Regional Medical Center for non-life-threatening injuries and was released. The woman's husband and dog were not hurt.

According to Game and Fish information chief Jim Paxon, a large adult bear had recently been seen hanging around the campsite dumpsters.

A wildlife manager with Arizona Game and Fish Department visited the Ponderosa Campground Wednesday looking for the bear, but could not find it.

Wildlife officials set a trap for the bear and warned all campers of the bear threat.

Paxon said the bear returned to the campground sometime during the night. Campground officials chased the bear, but it ran away. It returned a short time later and attacked the campers in their tent.

Personnel from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Wildlife Services are working with Game and Fish officers, using dogs to track the bear from the scene of the attack.

"Public safety is our first priority," said Paxon. "This bear poses a threat to public safety and therefore needs to be lethally removed."

Officials have evacuated campers and closed Ponderosa Campground. Lower Tonto Creek, Bear Flat, and Forest Road 405A have also been closed.

An official closure will be put into effect by the Forest Service until the bear danger lessens.

"The bear was probably looking for food, which is scarce this summer because of drought," Paxon said.

"These campers secured their food in the cab of their truck, and there was no food in the tent. While the campers were with the campground host and medical personnel, the bear came back to the tent a second time, ripped another hole in it, and then went after a pillow that had blood on it from the woman's wounds," Paxon said.

Bears are very active during the summer, Paxon said. It's important to stay alert.

"Bears are attracted to places like dumpsters, trash bins, and campsites. Whether folks live here or are just visiting, they need to remember this is bear country. Never leave food out, and never take food into a tent," Paxon said.

Wildlife experts say that if you're approached by a bear, the worst thing you can do is run away. Instead, stand your ground and make a lot of noise like banging pots and pans together.

Bear attacks on humans are rare. There have only been seven documented cases of bear attacks in Arizona since 1990, including this one. A Gilbert woman died last summer after being attacked by a bear in Pinetop.

Read more: http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/...payson#ixzz1wZrlxj1S