New
Find
Notify
Tools

First Trip to Alaska!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm sure excited, I got invited on a Black Bear hunt around Petersburg in May. I know this is pretty far souteast in the State, what do I need to know about this area. What do I need to pack for this trip in the way of gear. I've got my rifle and binos picked out but don't have a clue as to what kind of personal wet weather gear I'll need. I've already got some good suggestions but want to hear from all of the people who live or hunt this kind of area.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I would bring along a full set of Helly Hanson Impertech rain gear and a good pair of boots. May in Alaska is an awesome time to be out in the field chasing black bears. Are you hunting out of a boat or spot and stalk from land?

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess we do both, that is what I was told. We will use the boat to spot the bear then land it and stalk in to get a shot. I got invited on this trip after one of the guys had to back out and I'm still getting info. What are some questions that I should be asking?

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
My first question would be... 'where are we sleeping?' ...then go from there. The options are

1. on a boat
2. on shore camping
3. onshore in Forest Service cabin
4. in town
5. out of town at a lodge

The Impertec suggestion is a very good one. You'll need some rubber boots that come up over the calf for everyday wear. If ya want to look like a local, get xtra-tuff boots. Also some hip waders, for when you can't get quite close enough to shore.

A waterproof soft rifle case is a good idea, especially one that floats.

A good digital camera, with waterproof case.

A couple knifes. You can pick up a cheap 'vickies' in Pburg for making the initial hide cuts, and save your better knife for skinning and boning out the skull.

It's not a hard hunt, no need to spend thousands on specialized gear. Just be prepared to be wet from rain, saltwater, and sweat (not much) and you'll be set.

If your prone to seasickness, and many folks are, bring something for that too.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are staying in a cabin, so I figure just a basic sleeping bag will work. Getting dry after a days hunt shouldn't be a problem either. I was told to expect 35 degrees and rain for May in that part of AK. I have plenty of knives, using a Rem 700 ADL .30-06 w/synthetic stock for the hunt, and Leupold Wind River range finding binos's. I'm more concerned with the wet gear I'll need. Got some good suggestions from the guys I'm hunting with since this is their third year. Just wanting brands and types that are common and just plain work for the environment I'll be in. I was told to get some moisture wicking undergarments. What other types of clothes should I wear? If it is real wet I figure I don't want to wear my normal jeans and cotton shirts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by taylorce1:
We are staying in a cabin, so I figure just a basic sleeping bag will work. Getting dry after a days hunt shouldn't be a problem either. I was told to expect 35 degrees and rain for May in that part of AK. I have plenty of knives, using a Rem 700 ADL .30-06 w/synthetic stock for the hunt, and Leupold Wind River range finding binos's. I'm more concerned with the wet gear I'll need. Got some good suggestions from the guys I'm hunting with since this is their third year. Just wanting brands and types that are common and just plain work for the environment I'll be in. I was told to get some moisture wicking undergarments. What other types of clothes should I wear? If it is real wet I figure I don't want to wear my normal jeans and cotton shirts.

35 degrees and rain is very cold if you get wet. Bring synthetic underwear, jackets, and socks to wear under the rain gear, and boots. In Alaska it's best to wear layers of clothing to keep you warm as you go. For example, if you are in the boat you may want to wear more warm garments (synthetic, no cotton), and then when you start moving around or walking, remove some of the under-garments to keep you from sweating. Put the garments in a backpack, and wear them the next time that you stop moving around.

Don't forget your boots or shoes: you don't want to wear boots and shoes that restrict blood flow. So be careful not to buy boots that are too small, nor the other way around. I buy boots that are at least 1/2 number larger. For example, my foot-size is 7-1/2", so i buy boots size 8 EE or EEE (wide or extra wide). This way I can wear a set of thin synthetic sock liners under the synthetic socks. The liner wicks moisture from your feet.

If you look at the synthetic socks at Cabela's, or at the Sportsman Warehouse, you will notice that some come with a set of liners. You will also notice liners nearby. Some of the liners are impregnated with chemicals to reduce stinky feet Smiler

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leave the cotton at home! thumbdown

Posts: 512 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
If it's a Forest Service cabin, bring a sleeping pad too, the bunks are plywood.

If you find out which cabin you're staying at, I may have pictures and a better idea of what you might need.

Brian

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep is is a forest service cabin. I don't know the number yet the group leader will reserve it netx week and I'll let you know. Thanks for all the help and keep it comming.

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you bring enough fuel for the stove in the cabin, and hopefully someone in your group knows how to rebuild the stove if it's acting funky. We stayed in a forest service cabin on Montague last fall, and the stove started getting funky towards the end of the trip. It would run fine at blast you out of the cabin temps, but when you turned it down to comfortable level it would wait until you were sound asleep to kick off, and then you'd wake up cold in the middle of the night.

As Ray mentioned, just above freezing and raining is cold. Hypothermia is most common when the temps are in the high 30's to low 40's. My clothing for such conditions is double socks, polypro underlayer, fleece layer, and a rainproof layer. Also add warm hat and gloves. Bring an extra set of polypro, extra socks, and at least one extra pair of gloves.

Thigh high rubber boots can be not quite high enough when getting in and out of boats, but walking days on end in hip waders can really wear you out. That said, you shouldn't be hiking days on end, and I presume you'll have a skiff or an inflatable to cruise the beaches near the cabin. If you're planning to hike out on foot from the cabin and don't have a boat, your odds aren't nearly as good as when you can get some distance from the cabin. The areas around the cabins get alot of pressure and animals tend to know better than hanging out nearby.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Hey Chad
I was in Alaska last fall (2005) for a few weeks Moose hunting, rained the entire trip. Wool pants, Wool socks, wool button up shirt all over good ( not heavy ) synthetic long underwear. Waders and Schnee guide boots was all I wore on the whole trip, don't know what the country is like where you will be maybe waders are not needed and good rubber boots instead but I'd do the waders. An absolute must is good Helly Hansen rubber rain gear or a close equivilant, fancy Gore tex will keep you dry about 1/2 of the first day then you are done. We should get together after elk season and talk gear some time.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:
Just make sure you bring enough fuel for the stove in the cabin, and hopefully someone in your group knows how to rebuild the stove if it's acting funky....

....Thigh high rubber boots can be not quite high enough when getting in and out of boats

Good points Paul!

Some cabins down this way are still wood stoves though, unless that changed recently. Sometimes there's no wood left (the USFS will provide rounds that need to be split) to burn. Then ya got to get creative, as it's illegal to cut down a tree. Usually that means cruising the shoreline looking for good driftwood. The oil stoves can be finicky too.

As far as boats go, some are better at getting right up to shore...

Although it's possible to get too close, when the tides is going down...

Fortunately, the above picture was taken at the cabin site. Otherwise, be prepared to wait 12 hours. Smiler

Another 'tide related delay'...

Gotta hate when the indian anchor fails to keep the boat out far enough. Smiler

Brian

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Beedub, it's the Indian not the anchor that is to blame killpc

I should add the cabin we were in had both oil and woodstove. We didn't bring any firewood though Frowner

There was some dead wood near the cabin that we used for a bonfire in the evenings, and I'd have to say few experiences have topped sitting around a fire, kicking back a cheers and looking up at the stars.

Now getting that wood started is another matter, and may be one reason we could have used more stove fuel jumping

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
BW, is that the Harrison Lagoon Cabin? We stayed there for 2 nights but it was a tad early, the closest thing we came to a bear was 2 dens we spotted way up high.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Nope, those pictures are all from S.E. Alaska.

Brian

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
OK thanks BW.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Helly Hansen Impertech Deluxe rain wear, ankle-fit hip waders (I used LaCrosse), wide brimmed hat, UnderArmour boxer briefs and t-shirts (one set for each 2 or 3 days), Cabela's Outfitter Microtex shirt (IMO the best cool-weather outdoorsman shirt in the world), a wind-stopper type fleece jacket, Smartwool socks (one pair for every day), Wiggy's sleeping bag, down or some sort of compressable pillow, Prolite sleeping pad combined with a twin size egg-crate foam pad (never underestimate the value of comfortable sleeping), some sort of synthetic or wool pants (nobody has perfected these yet - wool gets heavy: I used wool and Cabela's Outfitter Microtex), and thin pair of gore-tex gloves.

Cotton will kill you - this is no bull. You will sweat, and it will rain and get you wet. Clothes that stay that way will kill you. Guides and locals up there may can get away with it (they are used to the weather), but you can't.

Look for my upcoming trip report on my recent caribou hunt.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote