New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting ready to get married next month and my future wife and I are talking about moving to Alaska.We are going up on a cruise for our hoenymoon to see some of towns.What is the job market like?I am self employed as a trim carpenter.How long do you have to be a resident before you can hunt on your own or guide others.Would it be possible to split time up between construction and guiding at some point after you learned the land or worked as a apprentice guide. Thanks for any help.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish to hell you would first move to NE Alabama so I could get my house finished before I die of terminal frustration!
Good luck in Alaska.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only thing that I will tell you is don't expect that once you move up here you will be able to do lots of hunting. Hunting is much harder to do up here than anywhere else I have ever lived. First off all you have to travel a lot farther than you realize, especially if you live in anchorage, and that takes time and money. THen you have to either get flown out or have a boat, more money, and you have to have plenty of time, like 7-10 days for a decent hunt.

If you can put together a god hunt for less than 1500 bucks thats a real bargain. Most of the jobs are in the anchorage area and there isn't a lot of great hunting you can do here locally. My moose hunt last fall cost over 1500 just for fuel in the airboat and truck, not to mention food and such stuff, and we took 10 days to do it. I can't aford that kind of time off work this year so probably won't even get out hunting.

That aside, the fishing is fantastic and fairly redily accessable. The job market is really quite good, and the scenery is breathtaking. I love it up here and while the hunting is a lot harder to do, it is much more rewarding.

Good luck

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Congrats on getting married!

The job market is pretty good in construction, though more in the industrial end of it. That said a good carpenter will do well, as it seems good help is hard to find. If you were to work both new home construction and remodels, you could probably stay pretty busy year round. I'd say your best bet are wise is either the Matsu or Anchorage bowl. It is the busiest part of the state in terms of home construction, also close enough together that you can work both areas. Check out www.adn.com for classifieds and general info on the area. Cost of living is high for food and housing.

You will have to live in the state for 12 months before you are eligable for resident hunting license and tags. I believe for guiding you have to work as an assistant guide for 3 years before you can become a master guide. Then you need an area to guide, as you can't just guide anywhere. My perception is you pretty much have to know someone to get into the guiding business, and IMHO, there are better ways of making a living in the state, especially as you'll be working during hunting season and not have time to hunt on your own.

As was mentioned, hunting even as a resident is very expensive. Unless you live out in the hunting areas, where there are no jobs and cost of living is very high, then you need to live wehre there are jobs, and pay alot to get to the good hunting areas.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the responses.

It's always so quiet when the goldfish die.(Bror Blixen)

DRSS
Merkel 470 NE

one of us
Picture of aktoklat
posted Hide Post
RSM458Lott,

If you are hard working then you will find ample employment opportunities. If you are a dedicated outdoorsmans and do your homework then your hunting will be successful. Yes, "The Bear and Paul H" are correct. It does cost more to hunt than it does in the lower 48. The number of days afield for big game hunts require more days for bad weather and to locate game! All in all the pay off is more rewarding and you will be in GOD's country. Good Luck and enjoy, you will not look back!

Focus on the leading edge!

Posts: 453 | Location: Louisiana by way of Alaska | Registered: 02 November 2004Reply With Quote