THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Have you ever seen a herd of brown bear?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever seen a herd of brown bear?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I was told this picture was taken from the air off Kodiak in September this year. They are feeding on a dead whale.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More than 40?? It's a lot of bears, anyhoo!

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
That is cool...thanks for sharing.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Neat picture! Thanks for posting the photo!

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great pix. Thanx for posting it.
I understand the pilot who took that pix said there were about the same number of bears on the hillside as there were in the water.
That whale must have scented the entire area to have all of those bears show up.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one, just one, that's all I want. Wink

No people in history have ever
survived who thought they could protect their freedom by making themselves
inoffensive to their enemies.

Posts: 1689 | Location: North MS U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Wow! I can't wait to get moved up there. If everything works out as planned, I should be up there in March. I think I'll apply for my drivers license when I am there in December to get the residency clock started. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Amazing! I'm moving to Kodiak in a few months and I can't wait to see those bears! Any idea what part of the island?

Brett

Dr. Lou,

Are you moving to Kodiak?

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Herds of them ,flocks of them thats lots of bears in one spot.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you imagine trying to hunt on the "other side" of the ridge at this time? There wouldn't be a single bear to be seen!

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
Wow! I can't wait to get moved up there. If everything works out as planned, I should be up there in March. I think I'll apply for my drivers license when I am there in December to get the residency clock started. Lou

Lou,

All ya gotta do is arrange for a dead whale to make the scene, and you got it made.. jumping

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMB:
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:

Lou,

All ya gotta do is arrange for a dead whale to make the scene, and you got it made.. jumping

Don

With some of the monster rifles being made for some of the members here, I don't think it would be hard to have that arranged! Wink

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you shoot a bear off of a whale carcass would there be an extra charge from the taxidermist for smell removal??????

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
That pic has been going around for a while now. i believe it was taken from Rolands Beaver of "Seahawk Air".

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's quite a photo. I wonder how the guys who've spent days looking for a bear feel. I'm sure some of them have wondered if there was a bear left on the island at times.
And you're right akperrydog, that has to be a special kind of stink.

Posts: 207 | Location: Florida | Registered: 28 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now the question you have to ask yourself is, how many bullets do you have with you?!

I was glassing a brown bear about a mile away from the beach near a rotting seal carcess once, and when he got straight down wind it was like someone flipped a switch as he turned and came at a dead run.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm pretty sure its a "sloth" of bears, not a herd....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Isn't it a gaggle of bears? LOL Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a Pod of bears

Eagles from above

Posts: 147 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
double checked...its a sloth or sleuth

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thats "UN-Herd" of! animal

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have seen 56 bears at one time within 400 yards when sockeye are running.
they truly are experts at locating easy sources of protein.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote