THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    9.3x74R over 12 ga. Kettner BBF with 3-12 variable

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R over 12 ga. Kettner BBF with 3-12 variable
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Leaving for AK 8/8 for 10 days in a tent. Was going to take a BRNO O/U 7x57R/12 ga., but started thinking......."damn grizz' gonna chew on me ...make a bloody mess of this geriatric Jeremiah Johnson wannabe .....gotta do sumpin' 'bout dat"!! So, took a newly acquired, well rubber-butted O/U 9.3x74R/12 ga. with a QD Docter 3-12 variable to the range today, to sight in both with scope and open sights. Bloody heavy rig. Still kicked like hell.....more than 300 Wby/338 Win - max I've ever fired. But (amazingly) put a 3/4-inch group @ 100 yards with factory S&B ammo, even with my probable-but-fought-against flinch, and in spite of the coarse post reticle that enlarges alarmingly with image magnification. So, I figure the gun is aheckuvalot better than "I" am. Sure, I am overgunned for caribou. But, I am NOT overgunned for Saskquatch...er' Saskatoon quatch....or even a displaced Mastodon (I hear they taste like chicken). So:......let the games begin!

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a lot of game with a 9,3x74R.
From raccons and bobcat to giraffe, cape buff, and cow elephant, I have found it to be an excellent calibre.

What brand is your new combo?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is not new, though in exc. shape. It was sold to me as a "Kettner". I bought it via eGun.com (as I have several long-guns). I cannot find a maker name on the gun. The proof marks hint at an Italian origin, at least as regards the barrels. I am extremely pleased with it, although (again) it is very heavy.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hope that ptarmingan and grouse are in season, if so shoot some they are great eating.

I would also take some Brenneke Slugs for bear protection. Also you might want to consider a little tougher bullet for use against bear, say a Mega or a RWS TUG.

A 9,3x74Rx12Ga is about as good a big game combo gun as it gets.

If you start reloading I recommend 286 Woodleigh Softs. They work on all game from bobcat to cape buff. The Nosler 286 Partition would be my second choice.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes ... on ptarmigan. They are the reason for my taking the combination. Otherwise, a bolt-action in 30 Gibbs or 9.3x62 would be used.
Thanks for the handloads suggestions. That's in the works for this Autumn.