New
Find
Notify
Tools

black bears on kodiak?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
spent so much time thinking monster kodiaks,i was given pause when a friend asked if there are any black bears on the island.
assumed there was but asking those who would know. thanks

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, no blackies on kodiak.

I suppose you could call them oversized cinnamons Smiler

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the bear and i belive the vole is the only animal on the island not introduced, the sheep, moose, racoons didn't make it, i guess they figured black bears wouldn't last long either.
there'd just be some hairy black terds by the rivers....

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
arn,t many trees on most of Kodiak so what black bears arrived would end up chew toys for the brown bear real quick ...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote