New
Find
Notify
Tools

Too Early?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know that this varies from year to year, but is April 19 too early to hunt brown bear in the southern part of the Alaskan range?

I've found a discount hunt (snow shoe), but that timing sounds a little early in the season. Any comments?

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRL,

Generally speaking mid-April is not too early. I've been in GMU 16 a few times that time of year. You're right about changing from year to year, but from my experience I'd say the end of April or first of May is getting pretty late, depending on the location. Good luck.

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
It varies a lot, i've hunted as early as mid-April and as late as the end of May. It's to hard to predict right now but if the discount is substantial it could be worth a shot. Ask the guide that is listing the hunt and see what he has to say.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alasken - M70Nut;

Thanks for the feedback. Here's what the guide says:

We have only hunted in this particular area one time and while we did see 17 bears in 6 days we were not successful due to the physical nature of the hunt. Seeing this is the case we are offering the hunt at a substantial discount.

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
How substantial is substantial?? If he's talking half price then maybe it's worth a shot.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
M70nut

Original cost $9000, current cost $6000

One of Us
posted Hide Post
TRL,
I sent you a PM.
Ken

Posts: 141 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote