New
Find
Notify
Tools

.454 Load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm working up loads for my .454, which will be defense weapon when I go to Alaska. Only God knows exactly when that will be, but I'm bored. What is the bullet of choice for bear stopping in AK? Is a solid readily availible in this caliber? Or should I go with the old reliable A-Frame?

Posts: 37 | Location: Groton, CT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
There has been some 454 discussion in the handgun section lately. Most seem to favor the 330 or heavier hardcast bullets.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What if I don't want to use the cast bullets. Has anybody tried the Kodiak, or Hawk bullets?

Posts: 37 | Location: Groton, CT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
navyhunter - Sounds like you might be a candidate for getting the oft repeated "we don't give a damn HOW YOU DID IT in (insert your previous home), you hear?" Just messing with you Seriously, the Kodiak will work well as lots of folks use them in heavy weight for caliber loads here in southcentral Alaska. I don't know of anyone using the Hawk bullets and as stated earlier, the heavy casts bullets are very popular here. I'm sure others will chime in as many 454's are used here as well as 44 mag and the 480 ruger revolvers plus 45 colt. I will ask some guys at work as I work with a bunch of "gun nuts" - I carry a 629 and shoot 328 hard casts @ 1285FPS - also, if you are going to carry for bears while fishing, some folks take both a heavy revolver and a 12 shotgun as you may be competing for the fish in some areas

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote