Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to Fairbanks
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all. I just moved to fairbanks and purchased a Browning A-bolt 338 win mag and I am looking foward to doing a bit of hunting.

I just wanted to say hi to all the folks living in the great country called ALASKA Smiler

Posts: 8 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Well good luck with your new move.

I just escaped from Fairbanks myself. Spent the last three winters there and am in the bananabelt of the mat-valley now. Big Grin Only -3 here .

The summers are nice there though.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, cheechako - a big, hearty WELCOME to Fairtown. Ya certainly didn't arrive in the best of weather, but it's only a portent of things to come. Think you're gonna find that over time you'll either really like it here or hate it. There's no "in-between". Been here since 1967 myself & wouldn't live anywhere else. Hopefully we'll see each other down at the rifle range after it warms up - to 20 BELOW that is.
Again, welcome. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I am sure I will love it here Smiler I cant wait to get out and do a bit of hunting. I usually spend every weekend driving around in the mountains just looking around and admiring the scenery.
We moved here from Phoenix so the climate change is a bit extreme Smiler

The wife took a job at FMH that is why we moved here, well that is why SHE moved here Smiler I came up for the wildlife LOL

Posts: 8 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Fairbanks is a wonderful town. Check out Seoul Gate under the bowling alley for excellent Korean food.
Plenty of places to go and things to see. Get yourself a snogo (Polaris), and get out of town. Once a week check out the racks at Down Under for good deals on old rifles. Saw an original Mauser Type A (I believe), in 7mm. They wanted $700.00 for it. Others too. There is one fellow there who is kind of a prick, you'll spot him right away. The others are nice, and they do excellent work.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Alaska!!!!

Now go trade in your A-Bolt for anything else.

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BW:
Welcome to Alaska!!!!

Now go trade in your A-Bolt for anything else.

I would think the same thing.

But I do have a friend that has a stainless a-bolt in 338 and that is his one gun for Alaska.

I know he has shot moose, deer and an 8.5 foot brownie with it.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
I shot a Mt Goat on Kodiak with one too, but that doesn't make'em good rifles. Smiler

Trade it now!

Go Winchester, Remington, Ruger, hell even Savage if you have too....

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
charlieb, You can already tell us Alaskans are friendly and opinionated about our rifles. Keep your A-bolt, use it and make up your own opinion.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4201 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
charlieb
Gotta throw another one in here. Get yourself some 225 gr. Northforks & stick about 73-74 grs. of Rldr-22 behind it. I guarentee you its hell on moose. Very good choice of caliber. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Welcome AK!

Fairbanks is a neat town. I wouldn't mind living up there, but the rest of the family likely wouldn't abide the dark and cold.

It really is a neat town with good restaraunts, reasonable pace of life and good folks. You're also in the heart of the state, and can get out into the bush in no time.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed Fairbanks for 7 years, great hunting and fishing out that way but the cold and dark forced me to move a little further south. If I were single I would probably move back there but no chance of that now. Good luck and welcome to Alaska!!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the warm welcome Smiler

I see that there are several people who are not fans of browning. Do you mind sharing the reasons why?

PS. Anyone know where the 40 mile herd is located currently?