Find
Notify
Tools

Winter ALCAN drive help?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
We moved from Anchorage to California in October of 2014. Problem is I have never droven the road in anything but almost Blue Birdy weather.

What is the latest you would drag a uhaul trailer behind your truck moving back to Alaska from the lower 48?

I got lucky and the snow was late, only encountered snow near the Yukon/Alaska border in 2014.

Felt like if I would have stayed another week, I'd have been draggint that trailer in snow at least until Edmonton if not Calgary.

Is there a better studdless light truck snow tire than the Blizzak?

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I drove it one year (87) in November and it was pretty snowy. I was by myself and planned on camping along the way but places to camp were few and far between.

There wasn't much traffic on it that November, but that was back in 87. I recall the truck drivers were barreling toward me on snow covered roads at terrifying speeds.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember on that trip down in 2014, I was half asleep near Kluane and a bull bison was walking down the road at about 7 pm. They have eye shine, but nothing like deer or elk. I saw him just in time and got around him.

Found a place in a gravel pit to camp about 3 or 4 miles later, and slept in the truck.

I guess it will depend on weather, if things get too bad and too later, I'll just get a storage unit in Great Falls and dump everything except guns and clothes there.

Posts: 7775 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I remember the road signs in Canada, you must carry chains starting in October. Our latest drive was the very end of Sept. and the roads were good. On the previous trip at the first part of Sept. there was a lot of snow coming down as I went over some pass with a ski resort; kept going and it turned into rain but it was nasty on top.

Wave as you go past the CMR cabin in GF. I grew up not too far from it.

Posts: 282 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I remember on that trip down in 2014, I was half asleep near Kluane and a bull bison was walking down the road at about 7 pm. They have eye shine, but nothing like deer or elk. I saw him just in time and got around him.

Found a place in a gravel pit to camp about 3 or 4 miles later, and slept in the truck.

I guess it will depend on weather, if things get too bad and too later, I'll just get a storage unit in Great Falls and dump everything except guns and clothes there.

I remember I left Ft Rich and got as far as Glennallen before I decided to stop. There was spot on the right right at the Richardson Hwy turn (toward Tok). I set up my tent and crawled in my bag. It got pretty cold that night and low and behold, my battery was dead. Got a jump and headed back to Glennallen to buy a battery.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
As I remember the road signs in Canada, you must carry chains starting in October. Our latest drive was the very end of Sept. and the roads were good. On the previous trip at the first part of Sept. there was a lot of snow coming down as I went over some pass with a ski resort; kept going and it turned into rain but it was nasty on top.

Wave as you go past the CMR cabin in GF. I grew up not too far from it.

I had forgot about that, thanks. Probably cheaper in Montana than at Canadian tire in Fort Saint John.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have driven the ALCAN somewhere between 15-18 times. The last time was this past January, coming up from the states.

No requirement of chains, and for the most part the road is well maintained that time of year.

In my opinion, the most important thing is to be prepared, for both the drive and in case things go haywire. As for the drive, make sure your rig is in good shape, and especially important is to make sure you have the properly rated antifreeze. Also, have a large piece of cardboard, canvas, etc, that is able to cover the grill in extreme cold conditions. Having your radiator freeze up could be a catastrophe, I know from experience.

As far as being prepared if things go haywire, make sure you have the proper cold weather and survival gear. My idea of proper cold weather gear for that drive is the ability to stay alive in -40 weather.

Anyway, driving the ALCAN in winter is a piece of cake most of the time, just be prepared for all possibilities.

Josh

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please do your own research on when and if you are required to carry chains over the mountains in Canada.

As a side note: if you need them and don't have them...

Posts: 282 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have road signs in the Yukon for chains but they are for heavy trucks not the kind of truck op is operating.

i have chains with the truck all year round as we can get snow and got snow every months so far. and you do not want to be stuck.

anything can happen, have extra warm clothing, always check your gas. ask the gas station about waether when you are refilling.

wish you the best in this crossing.

Posts: 1794 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW,
Welcome back home! Hard to take an Alaskan out of Alaska. We just dream of getting back home.
I used to drive the road every year in the 1980's and it was treacherous in early part of the decade. Now I drive down every few years to Toad River to hunt and it's upgraded to a super highway. Latest I've drive for one of those hunts was about Oct. 20th and it was still good. In the old days I would say stay away from November and December due to the high likely hood of snow storms. These days dragging a trailer shouldn't be any different from our roads in the winter. Still best let DOT at the roads after a storm before dragging a trailer over them. I guess what I'm saying is if you can, watch the weather for any big storms and if you can wait, I'd wait until the road crews are on it for a day or two.

Posts: 442 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for the US Gov. I have applied for every stinking job in Alaska.

Had an interview a couple of weeks ago when I posted this and felt pretty good about it. They have not called me back yet.

I'll keep applying. I live on the border 45 miles from where all these people were killed in El Paso. I didn't really want to come here, but nothing was happening for me in Alaska so I took this job here coming home from Europe.

Thanks for the welcome. It will be the 3rd time I move back to Alaska.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BWW:

I don't know how small of tire chains
they make here.
But, right on the E side of I-25 just as
you come into Pueblo. The PEWAG Company: a tire chain factory that makes 'em. They're listed, do a search and call or e'mail them for info. I've not been there. I know they make chains for semi's, possibly smaller sets too.

Since you'll be driving thru here might be a
place to stop and check in if you need chains.
I'd bet they'd sell a set there.

Have a great trip and hope things go well up there for you folks.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5958 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
BWW:

I don't know how small of tire chains
they make here.
But, right on the E side of I-25 just as
you come into Pueblo. The PEWAG Company: a tire chain factory that makes 'em. They're listed, do a search and call or e'mail them for info. I've not been there. I know they make chains for semi's, possibly smaller sets too.

Since you'll be driving thru here might be a
place to stop and check in if you need chains.
I'd bet they'd sell a set there.

Have a great trip and hope things go well up there for you folks.

George

Or any NAPA, CarQuest etc. tu2

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Seth, we will be sorry to lose you, but I wish you all the best on the Alaska job. That great state is a paradise unlike any other, based on my one fishing trip to Wrangell.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents