New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose rut
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do moose have a rut like whitetail deer? Here in coastal Alabama we can always count on the rut being on the week of January 19th - much later than the rest of the country.

I may hunt Alaska Unit 13 next year and would like to go at the best time to go. I'd appreciate any advice.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
For moose, rut is late September to early October

Start here: http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pu...ok/biggame/moose.php

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting read re moose rut..

http://outdoorsdirectory.com/m...ne/calling-moose.htm

Posts: 326 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon, Canada | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
It depends on weather too....I have seen Moose go into rut as late as early November, and as early as the beginning of Sept. if we get a good freeze. I like calling big bulls in with soft mews its makes them go crazy...took all my bulls with a bow, it doesn't get any better than that.

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas for the links. I am trying to learn everything I can about moose in the next nine months.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
Last year when my buddy and I were way out on the Seward Peninsula, we watch a wonderful thing. It was the day after he shot his Grizzly so probably about 15-16 Sept. We were actually headed back to civilization and decided to stop for a snack. We spotted a large bull, probably 1500 yds off, bedded. My guide, Brian Simpson, for the fun of it, started cow calling. After 1/2 dozen cow calls, that bull stood up. He stood for a few minutes and started heading our way. We watched in amuzement as that bull got to within about 300 yds of us before we decided we still had a long way to go, so off we went.

What was even better was about 5 days earlier when Brian called my bull to within 15 yds of me and I shot him with my 45 Colt.

Alan
Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote