Find
Notify
Tools

afognak wilderness lodge?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.huntafognak.com/

Looking for a good and successful Brown Bear hunt, with a confortable accomodation, I found this website.
Seems that these people have an excellent reputation.
Some of you have never hunted on the island of Afognak?

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
The tag is still on a lottery. And Afognak and Kodiak tags are among the hardest to draw.

Nice place though, I know a few folks that hunted Sitka blacktails there.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
seems to be one of the few places where you can hunt in Alaska directly from a confortable lodge but I dont know if the success rate on big brown bears is like Kodiak or the Peninsula

mario

Posts: 1421 | Location: northern italy | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Randall boys kill some big bears over there. From what I've heard they are hard working and easy to get along with. I saw pictures of two big bears, 10 footers, that came out of their camp this spring. The draw is about 50% for non residents for central Afognak. A little more difficult for residents, but still not bad at around 20%.

TB

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
do you think the period april 23 may 1 can be good?

mario

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Looks nice, the Afognak is one of the toughest areas to hunt in Alaska, make sure you up for it. The lodge looks like a nice place to go though.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
do you think the period april 23 may 1 can be good?

That is usually the best time. It was a little early this year, but we had a late spring. I'd go with those dates and hope for a normal year. There will be boars out even if it is a late spring. If you go later there will be more sows with cubs and the hides will start to get rubbed. Good luck.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kodiak, AK | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thank you very much for the infos.

mario

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
Looks nice, the Afognak is one of the toughest areas to hunt in Alaska .

. Aparantly you havn,t hunted Southeast or Prince William Sound ........ Afognak is pretty easy to get around on ... You can stand erect and walk thru the timber there , Can,t do that in Southeast much of the time ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote