The Accurate Reloading Forums
afognak wilderness lodge?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8521043/m/3951082111

13 June 2009, 14:23
Mario
afognak wilderness lodge?
http://www.huntafognak.com/

Looking for a good and successful Brown Bear hunt, with a confortable accomodation, I found this website.
Seems that these people have an excellent reputation.
Some of you have never hunted on the island of Afognak?

mario
13 June 2009, 15:37
D99
The tag is still on a lottery. And Afognak and Kodiak tags are among the hardest to draw.

Nice place though, I know a few folks that hunted Sitka blacktails there.
13 June 2009, 18:24
Mario
seems to be one of the few places where you can hunt in Alaska directly from a confortable lodge but I dont know if the success rate on big brown bears is like Kodiak or the Peninsula

mario
13 June 2009, 19:22
TBinKodiak
The Randall boys kill some big bears over there. From what I've heard they are hard working and easy to get along with. I saw pictures of two big bears, 10 footers, that came out of their camp this spring. The draw is about 50% for non residents for central Afognak. A little more difficult for residents, but still not bad at around 20%.

TB
15 June 2009, 01:39
Mario
do you think the period april 23 may 1 can be good?

mario
15 June 2009, 07:26
Big Bore Boar Hunter
Looks nice, the Afognak is one of the toughest areas to hunt in Alaska, make sure you up for it. The lodge looks like a nice place to go though.
15 June 2009, 10:22
TBinKodiak
quote:
Originally posted by Mario:
do you think the period april 23 may 1 can be good?

That is usually the best time. It was a little early this year, but we had a late spring. I'd go with those dates and hope for a normal year. There will be boars out even if it is a late spring. If you go later there will be more sows with cubs and the hides will start to get rubbed. Good luck.
16 June 2009, 01:04
Mario
thank you very much for the infos.

mario
16 June 2009, 19:49
gumboot458
quote:
Originally posted by Big Bore Boar Hunter:
Looks nice, the Afognak is one of the toughest areas to hunt in Alaska .

. Aparantly you havn,t hunted Southeast or Prince William Sound ........ Afognak is pretty easy to get around on ... You can stand erect and walk thru the timber there , Can,t do that in Southeast much of the time ......

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....