Notify
Tools

Sidearm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Senator:
I carry a Hamilton Bowen Ruger N.M. Super Blackhawk 7 1/2" barrel in Stainless Steel, with a 2 lb trigger pull, tanker holster in 45 Colt with cast bullets.
Senator

I have a couple of threads on the subject of "sidearms while hunting with a rifle" at two other Alaska forums (one of the threads a poll), and both show over 50% of hunters carrying sidearms. The main difference between the others and this forum is that a lot of hunters post in the former, while just a few in here.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naah...this will do the trick...a bit more expensive though 12/70 and 9.3x74...2 of each

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Little bigger than a hand gun.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Little bigger than a hand gun.

I thought it was the gun on an A-10 Warthog Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns not heavy...but the tripod gets cumbersome Wink

Posts: 1313 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I can't kill it with a rifle, a pistol won't be much help, well maybe to shoot yourself when you realize its all over but the sad singing! sofa

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
If I can't kill it with a rifle, a pistol won't be much help, well maybe to shoot yourself when you realize its all over but the sad singing! sofa

I sidearm is handy if for whatever reason you can't fire the rifle.

Anyway, this year I am taking a microwave oven to my campsite. Won't carry it with me while hunting, unless I can keep both a generator and the oven on my side by side Smiler

Just kidding, Ray.

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
some of you might wish you had that handgun on your side when you rifle goes click instead of boom ! Just saying.

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread.

What I have learned so far:

Ray takes some beautiful pictures.

There is no need to carry a handgun, just bring Phil Shoemaker along. Anyone who can do this with his bare hands doesn't need a firearm at all! Big Grin

In regards to all the extra stuff that is so absolutely indispensable to bring along nowadays, in my 20's I had the realization that I would probably not have to fight bears and went from a larger fixed blade knife to a folder. It was the first change that I did where I realized that even something that insignificant made a notable difference in comfort as I didn't have that sheath hanging up on the undergrowth any more. Sounds silly now but it really had an effect on me back then.

In regards to carrying a handgun, I'll refrain from commenting as I have never hunted in AK, but I have noticed in the past that ideas that make plenty of sense when typed out on a computer in the morning with a warm cup of coffee in hand can seem pretty darn stupid in the middle of the woods at 1:00 AM.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mark.

Hopefully I will see some moose, or at least birds this moose season (leaving today) Smiler

The Auroras should be good depending on cloud covers (has been raining for days, already).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

What you wrote reminded me that it only took me about one Alaska hunt where I had to pack everything on my back to get rid of everything around my waist except a multi-tool on my belt. Knives went in my pack with a lightweight folder in my pocket, rifle ammo on the rifle stock and my handguns stayed home unless I was hunting with them.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leaving in 2 weeks. Decided to bring the G20 with buffalo bore 220 hard cast ammo. Just because I can Wink

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure to try that hot ammo in your pistol for proper function. Might need a stiffer recoil spring to dampen the slide a bit to keep from damaging the slide stop. A broken pistol won't protect anything if you needed it.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arctic grouse -- the best tasting bird there is !!

Take a Lancaster 4 barrel pistol in a good healthy cartridge !

posted Hide Post
I carry a 4" 500 smith in belt holster. Load is 450 grain @ 1200 fps by chronograph. It goes where and when I go even for the river dunking when I slipped and got a little wetter than planed. I have had bear confrontation when I lived in New Mexico 35 years ago. It ended quite quickly with each of hurrying away in the other direction.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heavy recoil spring seems to work perfect.. I can't tell its hotter than my regular 10mm ammo but I may chrono it. Main thing it feeds and functions great
quote:
Originally posted by Woodrow S:
Make sure to try that hot ammo in your pistol for proper function. Might need a stiffer recoil spring to dampen the slide a bit to keep from damaging the slide stop. A broken pistol won't protect anything if you needed it.

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .454 redhawk alskan. While it definitely has the muzzle energy, I find it is almost unshootable with full power loads. But with 400 grain hardcast it will definitely do the job...Of course I will have a .375 with me so the 10mm is just to get to my rifle...
quote:
Originally posted by redale:
I carry a 4" 500 smith in belt holster. Load is 450 grain @ 1200 fps by chronograph. It goes where and when I go even for the river dunking when I slipped and got a little wetter than planed. I have had bear confrontation when I lived in New Mexico 35 years ago. It ended quite quickly with each of hurrying away in the other direction.

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Mark,

What you wrote reminded me that it only took me about one Alaska hunt where I had to pack everything on my back to get rid of everything around my waist except a multi-tool on my belt. Knives went in my pack with a lightweight folder in my pocket, rifle ammo on the rifle stock and my handguns stayed home unless I was hunting with them.

Mark

Wisdom from experience is valuable..

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last 2 years I spent 30 days in the field on a high altitude elk hunts carrying the same gun. I feel Alaska will be no different. I did not carry a handgun last time I was there. If it's too heavy I'll leave it in the tent I guess or in my pack, but I doubt it. Very comforting in bear country when nature calls Wink

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What weight recoil spring did you switch to in your G20 to handle Buffalo Bore ammo?

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got it a glockmeister here in Mesa AZ (great store), stainless guide rod with a 22 or 24 lb spring can't remember. Works great. Also using a KKM barrel with conventional rifling. Very accurate combo with cast bullets. Can't be a sissy racking the slide now though Wink Also have trijicon HD orange front sight set. Great setup for low light

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Used one of my sidearms during moose season to shoot this one, right by my campsite. It was around 10:00PM:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice Ray.

When I worked midnights I use to see a lot of them.

Most of the time now I am asleep when they are out and about

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very nice Ray.

When I worked midnights I use to see a lot of them.

Most of the time now I am asleep when they are out and about

Thanks.

This moose season we had a couple of nights without snow, rain, or just cloud cover. Our campsite is on a high point of a ridge at 2,000 feet elevation, thus the sunset in the photo.
--------
One out of five of us at the campsite didn't have a sidearm. Three were .454 Casull, and one .44 Magum.

However, we ride UTV's to each hunting spot, and one rides an ATV, so extra gear and sidearms aren't a problem. The campsite is quite comfortable, like "home away from home" in relation to foods and amenities. Probably burned 1/2 cord of firewood at the fire-pit and BBQ grill Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sounds like a great time.

Yes, a great time. None of us drinks while hunting, but we eat very well.