New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan hunting opportunities?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I will be returning to Canada this november for the second year in a row.

Last year it was just predator calling, this year we are going after moose, with a little predator calling on the side.

Our hunt for moose has recently been relocated to the foothills of the Rockies, apparently because a lot of US hunters cancelled hunts due to the meat ban.
We have been told that the foothills produce bigger trophies and promise higher numbers of moose as opposed to the lowland swamps.

I get the feeling this is going to be a really good hunt. Communication and patience with the outfitter, or moreso his wife has been excellent and we are revved about the zone we are to hunt. I'd expect the scenery to be nothing less than spectacular, having seen the rockies from afar.

As good as it sounds, next year I would like to change the scenery a little. Go after a big bear?

What does Alaska offer aside from grizzly and at what costs?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Alaska offers black bear, grizzly bear, brown bear, dall sheep, mountain goat, moose, caribou, blacktail deer, elk, wolves and foxes. There are also a variety of small game and fowl.

As far as costs, as a non-resident alien, you are required to be guided for all big game species. Hunting license, tag fees and hunting regulations can be found here http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/adfghome.htm

Prices for fully guided hunts depend on the species and location. As a ball park figure, you'd be looking at $5 for black bear, caribou and blacktail deer, $10k for moose and grizzly, and Brown bear hunts can run towards $15k. Not sure what the other species would run, or the costs of additional animals.

While Alaska is a huge state, game populations aren't great and are spread out. There are very few areas that offer more than 2, possibly 3 species nearby.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What would be the situation for a non resident alien hunting wolves, foxes and coytes?

Just pick up the tags then hunt on public land?Acquire permission to hunt on private land?

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Read page 9 of the regs: http://www.state.ak.us/local/akpages/FISH.GAME/wildlife/geninfo/regs/general.pdf

Nonresident aliens must be accompanied in the field by an Alaska licensed guide to hunt any big game animal.

Wolf is considered big game, but fox is not listed, so a small game license and no guide would suffice. I forgot to mention Bison and Muskox, and suprisingly Wolverine under big game.

So, it looks like you could hunt fox, coyote, hare's, spruce hen, ruffed grouse and ptarmigan under a non-res small game license, and w/o guide. I am not sure what the requirements are for waterfowl hunting, as it is a seperate hunting reg.

I would suggest e-mailing the ADF&G to verify this is correct for non-res alien hunters. There is alot of public land open to hunting, but there are also quite a few public and private areas closed to hunting. Your best bet is narrowing down the area of the state you want to hunt, and then contacting the biologist responsible for the area for suggestions as to where to, and not to hunt.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks Paul, inquiring minds want to know!

one of us
posted Hide Post
More info - web page and web page - lots of contact info [Big Grin] - KMule

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote