New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carribou info for Kotzebue area??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be out there Sat the 17th. Anyone know if there has been movement in that area. I am going with a friend and am not sure exactly where we will wind up but am expecting about 14 mi north of Kotzebue on a river. Thanks for any leads.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
several years back I was within a few miles N of Kotzebue on Sep 19th and the boo were just starting to stream into the area. Moose season ended on19th, saw my only big bull on 20th, and we shot boo on 20, 21, and 22. Lots of them.

pends on the weather.

Good luck, and do not expect to buy a drink in Kotzebue (dry town).

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot 13 caribou north of Kiana, which is east of Kotz.

The Noatak area is very good too.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to live in Kotzebue. Obviously it depends on the weather, but it seems to me the bous usually don't start moving heavily until later in September.

Call the game and fish boys they usually have a pretty good feel for what's going on.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kraky, this is probably too late and a bit south for you, but hopefully is of use to other fellow 'bou hunters:

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=game.wah

AKFG has several animals collared and web-enabled. Takes a bit of the romance/challenge out of divining the herd's intentions each year, but does make harvesting a helluva lot easier Roll Eyes Not sure if that's a good thing, but probably inevitable in this day and age.

Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sure saves flying in bad weather.

DB

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote