New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barney's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For you "old" Alaskans, was Harry Swank's world record Dall ram ever on display at Barney's? I saw it in a store in the later '70's, but I am not positive it was Barney's

Posts: 735 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I've been in Alaska since 76 and have never seen it in a store, Frank Cook's #2 was on the wall behind him at his insurance agency though. I've heard Swank's was on display in the museum on base.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the exact year. If I was guessing I would say around 1976. The pipeline was still under construction and Anchorage was a wild place, boomtown atmosphere. I still laugh at some of the things I witnessed. When I saw Swank's ram I was impressed with the size. Not just the horns, it is big everywhere. Truly a super ram.

Posts: 735 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Swank ram is currently on the wall at Mountain View Sports in Anchorage.

It was displayed at the prior location as well before they moved a few years ago.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 02 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:
For you "old" Alaskans, was Harry Swank's world record Dall ram ever on display at Barney's? I saw it in a store in the later '70's, but I am not positive it was Barney's

It was displayed at Eberhard Brunner's sports shop on Northern Lights Blvd. in the 1970s.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
quote:
Originally posted by squeezenhope:

It was displayed at Eberhard Brunner's sports shop on Northern Lights Blvd. in the 1970s.

Thanks Vic,,I just missed it....

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the mid 80s it was displayed in the Ft Richardson wildlife museum. I wonder why it was moved? Is that museum still there?

Perhaps after 9/11 increased security made public access to the wildlife museum impossible.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7573 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote