THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Lodging, things to see in Anchorage

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lodging, things to see in Anchorage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My son and I are bear hunting in August and we'd appreciate advice on where to stay and what to do in Anchorage.

Is there reliable taxi service? I hate to sound so ignorant but I've never been there before.

Car rental? We want to go to Homer for a day's fishing before the hunt.

We'll go to Talkeetna by bus or train, hunt 10 days, and return. Any recommendations? I've had a hard time finding schedules.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

Grizzly

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
How many days before and or after your hunts do you have? Also what are you into, or want to see, theres sooo much here in Alaska to do, so more info is needed. There is an array of Hotels and motels here in Anchorage and lodges throughout this state, you'd might want to research online....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Taxis aren't a problem in Anchorage. Lots of rental cars at the airport. The Alaska Fur Exchange and the Antique Gallery are my two favorite "tourist" places to take people in Anchorage. Alaska Brewhouse and Simon & Seafords are my favorite places to eat. Plenty of fishing that time of year both on and off shore.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That would be three nights in Anchorage. One night when we arrive. One night after our fishing trip and one night befor we leave for home.

I'll look up the Antique Gallery, Fur Exchange, Alaska Brewhouse, and Simon and Seafords. Can't do everything but I'd like to see as much as I can.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MN Hunter
posted Hide Post
Taxis, rental cars, anchorage hotels not a problem just make sure you book something a head of time.

getting to Talkeetna... http://www.talkeetnatravel.com...a_transportation.php

Keep in mind that Homer is a solid 4 hour drive from Anchorage 5 if you get caught behind the ever present stream of RV's. It will be a very long day if you are going to drive down for a fishing charter leaving the dock at 8am and driving back to Anchorage that same night.
You might want to consider some salmon fishing closer to town. You have lots of options in Aug. You could try for late run reds in the Russian River less than half way to Homer. You could chase some silvers in the Matsu Valley it's on the way to Talkeetna. Or Heck you could stay in downtown Anchorage and walk down to ship creek and partake in some urban combat fishing for silvers.

Not sure exactly when in August you are coming here is a link to some salmon run timing charts for rivers in the Kenai and the Matsu. http://www.alaskaoutdoorjourna.../Sonar/mvcharts.html

hope that helps

Posts: 245 | Location: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: 07 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There's the Arctic Roadrunner (best big burgers in town & all kinds of picts of Ak on walls) on corner of International & Old Seward; also a sports bar across the street and football season.

I always eat pizza & calzone at Guidos in this strip mall along international.

They have sportsmans and a few other gun shops in anch too.

When we fly into anch, always rent a car at airport; pretty cheap.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
Two of the best freebies in Anchorage are the museum at Well's Fargo Bank main branch on Northern Lights blvd. and the Native arts and craft collection at the Alaska Native Medical Center on Tudor road. At ANMC hospital take the elevator to the top floor and walk down the stairs. There are display cases all the way down and it is hands down the best collection in the State. They also have a Native Art store (weird hours) that is a good place to buy gifts for home to fit any budget.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7612 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want some really good pizza, make it to the MOOSE TOOTH. Some of the best I have ever ate anywhere.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Simon and Seafords is the best resturant in town IMHO. Not too pricey. Call for a rez prior to your trip. The drive down to Homer is All World if the weather is right. There are a couple of good sporting good stores- Barney's and Mountain Veiw Sports that are worth a stop. The Millenium(sp???) is close to the airport and really good at getting their guests around town. You will have a great time!

Posts: 1338 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I'll second Barney's Sports Chalet and Mountain Veiw Sports. I'll add Great Northern Guns. Barney's is one of the premier wilderness hunting gear stores in the country. I'm good friends with the owner and can vouch it is TOP notch!!!

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Simon and Seafords

Great place to eat.. We make it a point to go there either before or after we leave Anchorage....

Posts: 59 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 08 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get names and phone numbers of chareter boat guys from Homer Chamber of Commerce.
You may be able to join a 4 or 6 person charter at very reasonable cost.
Consider having some of you fish prepared at a local restaurant. Its a common thing that's done there.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Wow...thats not much time before and after your hunt, Like Brett says go to Barneys !!!!....but go before your hunt....I'll tell you also, you will easily spend Half a day in that little hole in the wall place with great gear....Heck don't even bring gear....just bring your VISA card !!!!! I'm serious.....

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Barney's really is that good.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great idea about having some of my catch cooked for me.

Thanks for tip on a place for guilt gifts for wives.

We've reserved places aboad MV Tomahawk II, wife's boss fished w/ them a few years back and caught a huge halibut. I've got two nights booked at the Bayview.

I've got two nights booked at Talkeetna Cabins before and after the hunt but still need a place in Anchorage.

One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
Great Alaskan Bush Company.

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
I'm banned from the Great Alaskan Bush Co. ......all my ex girlfriends work there...LOL

one of us
posted Hide Post
What is Great Alaskan Bush Co.? Sporting goods?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a strip club.

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
The Captain Cook hotel downtown in Anchorage is nice, but spendy. B&Bs are a unique and typically very "Alaskan experiencish" way to stay. Much cheaper $100ish.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The lobby in the Milenium hotel has some excellent taxidermy, same with Sportsman's warehouse.

Count me as one who rates Simon and Seaforts view's as topnotch, service as some of the worst (and Anchorage is famous for slow and poor service) and you can do better in the food department for what you're paying. I've eaten there several times, and likely won't go back.

If you're looking for good food downtown, Brewhouse or Orso's, Humpy's isn't bad but the place is so noisy it's almost impossible to hold a conversation. You can't go wrong with the Moose's tooth, but expect to wait 1/2 hour for a table most any time of the day.

There is an antique store downtown, kitty corner to the NW coner of the Hotel Captain Cook that has an interesting selection of double rifles and other antque guns. Great Northern Guns in midtown is worth swinging by as well.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch, guys. I'll print this sting out and take w/ me. I got reservations on train and bus to and from Talkeetna and I'm looking foreward to those trips too. No driving, just sightseeing and I relly like train rides.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, I wish these things had spell check. That's "string" and "really".

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
About the fishing, I'd go to Whittier or Seward. Much shorter drive and better scenery. My wife and I just got back from and we went fishing out of Anchor Point on the Kenai. When we drove on down to Homer (thinking to stay the night), we turned around and headed back to Anchorage. Homer's a little..., industrialized so to speak, even compared with Whittier.

Club Paris in downtown Anchorage for dining, but you may need a reservation.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Albert:
What is Great Alaskan Bush Co.? Sporting goods?

Sporting women. lol

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I really like the bar at the Milenium. Decent food, but sitting on the deck and watching the float planes come in and out is nice. Then sitting in the real bar in the evening is nice too. They have a good selection of bourbon and tequila.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrackersNZ
posted Hide Post
quote:
Great Alaskan Bush Company

Plenty good trophies on display here!!! tu2

...."At some point in every man's life he should own a Sako rifle and a John Deere tractor....it just doesn't get any better...."

Posts: 630 | Location: Hawera, Taranaki, New Zealand | Registered: 17 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Millenium is a great place. Decent bar with decent food, great view of Lake Hood and the float planes, some great taxidermy on display, though not all from Alaska...

If you get a chance, a drive down to Girdwood, about 40 miles south of Anchorage, to the Alyeska Resort is worth the trip. Beautiful drive. Good chance to see sheep on the cliff sides (especially early in the mornings) or maybe Beluga whales on the incoming tide. At the resort, recommend taking the tram to the top of the mountain and having a drink or dinner at Seven Glaciers. It's spendy, but views are great.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone has there favorites. Halibut fishing in Homer is the best in the state. But beware it is a 5 hour drive in each direction.
But on the flip side Girdwood is along the way and harbors my favorite place to eat, Double Musky Inn. If you like meat, best Pepper steak ever made.
http://www.doublemuskyinn.com/framed.html

It was once named at the best steak in the USA. Dress is Alaskan casual. Tee shirt and jeansSmiler

If there is any way to add a couple of days to your trip I would and drive north for a visit to Denali National Park. Take the 8 hour bus shuttle to Eielson and view scenery and animals others will only dream about.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote