New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Kodiak Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just returned from a combined bear hunt and sight seeing trip to Alaska and was successful in both. I was able to take a 9'10" bear and would like to post the pictures but am too illiterate to to so. I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out, be glad to e-mail the pictures ( I'm at least that savvy) and I'll post a step by step account.
Thanks,
Lewis

Posts: 273 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lewis50, go to picture hosting sites such as www.photobucket.com. Open an account.

Hook your digital camera to your PC and download your pics to the PC.

Go to your photobucket account and find the menu command to upload pictures.
It will ask you to BROWSE your PC. Find the pics that you downloadied onto your PC and select OPEN. That will take the pictures (just do 'em one at a time) to your photobucket picture album.

After you have them all on there, your pics will have something like 4 different posting options. All you do is select the appropriate option; it should have [img] at the beginning and [/img] at the end of the URL, then right click your mouse on that link and select COPY.
On your post where you want to post them then right click again and select PASTE.

When in doubt, track down a 14 year old kid for help with this sorta stuff!! thumb

You gotta post those pics man!!

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I've set up an account and am transferring some shots and will try to post in the next day or two.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One other question, when I send these pictures over from Photobucket, what size should I reduce them to. As taken they were high resolution photos and I don't want to overload the posting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Click on 'direct link' under the picture you want to send to your AR thread. It will copy and resize automatically. Then paste into the link above this texting box...it's the second from the right, looks kinda green. Simple as that.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a test.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry about the bloody hands, it was a long way to the nearest water. I'll post some other pictures and a report a little later, thanks for the help.
Lewis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lewis50, who's the big burly guy holding that bears paw!? Wink

I can't wait to see the rest! thumb

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lewis50:
One other question, when I send these pictures over from Photobucket, what size should I reduce them to. As taken they were high resolution photos and I don't want to overload the posting.

Nice looking Paw dancing What did you think of that Devils Club??
Nice Bear & Blood is part of the equation!! Wink

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK Gang, here's the rest of the story.
I flew into Kodiak on the 1st of May and caught a float plane out the next day with Tim Smith from California who would be hunting out of the same camp with me. We booked with Munsey's Bear Camp who had five hunters in three separate camps, all one on one.
Tim and I arrived and met our guides. He was hunting with Bob Munsey, born and raised on the island, and I was hunting with Aaron Dunn, a fellow southerner (Tennessee) who had gotten lost on the way to the beer store and ended up guiding in Alaska. We were hunting on Spiridon Bay, which was beautiful but the mountains ran at a 45 degree angle straight down to the shore.

This made for a steep stalk if you were unlucky enough to have to go up the hill to get to a bear. The hunt would be a spot and stalk affair, which entailed riding in a boat to small islands in the middle of the bay and glassing the mountains for bear. When a bear was spotted, usually at 1 to 3 miles, the guide would evauate it and if he was acceptable figure out if you could get ahead of it for a shot. During the course of the hunt, which lasted 8 days for me, we saw about 25 bears and Tim and Bob saw 35 or so.
One of the first visitors to our camp was Porkchop, a fox who was in charge of extra food. Here's a picture of Aaron and his girlfriend.

We also had Sitka deer feeding through the camp along with a couple of eagles overlooking the affair from their nest.
On about the fifth day Aaron and were pulling up to an island and noticed we had run a fellow tourist off, who was swimming to another less crowded beach. We hopped back in the inflatable boat and caught up with him. I could see he was a baby and said so. As he got out of the water Aaron agreed and said he was only 7 1/2, one big baby.

I forgot to mention that I came down with the flu the first night I was in camp and ran a fever of over 100 with the cough and runny nose that goes with it. I didn't miss much hunting but felt like hell. On the fifth day Bob and Aaron got on the sat. phone and contacted Mike Munsey at the main camp. Aaron then hopped in the larger aluminum skiff and took the 1 hour trip over there and picked up a bag of cold medicines. They worked wonders and showed how well the Munseys look after their campers.
On the 7th day Tim and Bob spotted two bears that looked good and as they were in the same general area went to take a look. On the way one of the bears left so they focused on the second. I was several miles away and heard a series of three shots that were so close together I thought both were shooting at the bear but it was only tim. He was shooting a 30/378 Weatherby and was making that baby hum. A fourth shot soon followed and the silence. The bear had winded them at 230 yards and Tim had a good rest and took it, hitting it 3 out of 4 times, good shooting. When they got to the animal it turned out to be a sow that squared 9'3". She had a tattoo on her lip and we found out that she had been aged back in '92 and was 29 years old when Tim Got her.

That afternoon Aaron and I saw a 10'+ on the beach but were outsmarted by him. The next afternoon the weather was bad but we went out after dinner to glass and Bob came wth us. They, Bob and Aaron spotted a couple of bears and debated while I stared at the mountain a mile away and saw nothing but trees. It was decided to make a stalk on the larger of the two. He was feeding across the mountain and would soon come to an area that had plenty of fresh green grass and it was possible that this would slow him down enough for us to climb up to him.
Bob stayed behind on a hill where we could see him and Aaron and I took off. We got to the shore, shooed of another couple of bears that were in our way and started climbing. After we made it to a knob about 1000' higher than the beach we looked back at Bob. He was pointing down so we dropped down about 200' and saw our bear sleeping on a little bench.My rangefinder said 98 yards so I planted my butt on the side of the hill in a jack ass sitting position and readied for the shot. I was shooting a 416 Rem and at the shot the bear just shook but couldn't get up. I shot two more times for insurance and he rolled down the hill. We could see blood from where we were and were pretty sure he was done for. Aaron beat me down the hill and led the way down, very steep thick stuff. The tracking wasn't that hard as there was blood everywhere and all trees of 4" and smaller in diameter were broken off. We found him after 100 yards and he was quite dead. As we were congratulating each other he started rolling again and went another 50 yards where he fetched up on a flat spot. Here are some pictures of my buddy bear, me, and Aaron.

IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm67/Gborokid/IMG_0402autolevels.jpg[/IMG]

He turned out to square at 9'10" and had a skull meare of 27 7/8 just missing the B&C book minimum but I'm a happy camper.
We rode over to the main camp the next day where Tim caught a plane out and I stayed for the remainder of the hunt to see how the rest of the guys did. Out of five hunters only one got skunked and he saw 40 or more bears. Mike gave him a discount on a future hunt and he's going back in 2010.
Here's a picture of Mike,Robin (his wife), and Bob with my bear after it had been in the salt for 4 days and drawn up.

Here's a picture of Doug Miller's bear, my second roomate. It measured 9'9" with a skull of 28 11/16", putting it in the book.

I had a great time and can't recommend these folks highly enough. Thus ends this epistle.
Lewis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great story thanks for sharing Bill

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Lewis is fantastic, I congratulate you. It is a huge bear. Your firing a cartridge tremendous, I think that such animal need a good impact to kill on the spot. I tell you again congratulate Lewis.

Regards,

Oscar.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lewis:
From one grizzled old goat to another, a warm congratulations. A great story and beautiful country too.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lewis

Thanks for sharing your story and congratulations on a hard earned trophy. I hope to make the trip up and do the same hunt someday myself!

Posts: 373 | Location: Georgia, USA | Registered: 31 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice job. Outfitter sounds like good people. That bear is going to make a fine rug!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
...Lewis , Thanks for shooting your 416 well ...

I,m very glad you had a great hunt and were there long enough to experience some of the great things that are Alaska ... thumb

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad y'all enjoyed my tale. tsturm, that Devils club got me more times than I care to remember, the place is loaded with it.
After the hunt was over my wife came up to do a bit of sight seeing. We rented an RV, 22', and drove around for 11 days. We got to see the Palmer area and then headed south. We stopped at Girdwood for food and spent the night. We then went to Seward for a day cruise on a 42' boat and had a great time. We worked our way over to Homer and did some halibut fishing before heading back to Anchorage and home.
If I were a bit younger and not settled I would move up there. The land is pretty and the people are friendly. One other thing, if you get up in the Homer area stop in at Norman Lowell's gallery. His landscapes are breathtaking and he is a hunter among many other things. We spent 4 hours with him and his wife while he showed us the cabin he built in the 40's and his greenhouse and swapped lies about hunting and rifles.I'm not an artsy type but I was blown away by his work. He seemed prouder of his cabins, greenhouse, and hunting stuff than of his world class artwork. It's well woth seeing.
Lewis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lewis50 thanks for sharing that story. Very well written too. Great bear, fantastic pics. thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lewis, very nice indeed. Great pics and bears. Gotta luv Alaska and its bears (and friendly people). Thanks for sharing your trip.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
Awesome pictures and story, congrats on some very fine bears!!

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I look forward to hunting Kodiak in the near future!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats Lewis , he is a Beast! Nice photos and story as well.

Posts: 590 | Location: Georgia pine country | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of L. David Keith
posted Hide Post
What a Bear! Congrats Lewis, very well done.
LDK

Gray Ghost Hunting Safaris
http://grayghostsafaris.com Phone: 615-860-4333
Email: hunts@grayghostsafaris.com
NRA Benefactor
DSC Professional Member
SCI Member
RMEF Life Member
NWTF Guardian Life Sponsor
NAHC Life Member
Rowland Ward - SCI Scorer
Took the wife the Eastern Cape for her first hunt:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6881000262
Hunting in the Stormberg, Winterberg and Hankey Mountains of the Eastern Cape 2018
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4801073142
Hunting the Eastern Cape, RSA May 22nd - June 15th 2007
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=810104007#810104007
16 Days in Zimbabwe: Leopard, plains game, fowl and more:
http://forums.accuratereloadin...=212108409#212108409
Natal: Rhino, Croc, Nyala, Bushbuck and more
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6341092311
Recent hunt in the Eastern Cape, August 2010: Pics added
http://forums.accuratereloadin...261039941#9261039941
10 days in the Stormberg Mountains
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7781081322
Back in the Stormberg Mountains with friends: May-June 2017
http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6001078232

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading" - Thomas Jefferson

Every morning the Zebra wakes up knowing it must outrun the fastest Lion if it wants to stay alive. Every morning the Lion wakes up knowing it must outrun the slowest Zebra or it will starve. It makes no difference if you are a Zebra or a Lion; when the Sun comes up in Africa, you must wake up running......

"If you're being chased by a Lion, you don't have to be faster than the Lion, you just have to be faster than the person next to you."

Posts: 6804 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Thanks Lewis. Great story and one big bruin! Good on ya. A hunt to remember for sure. I was up on Kodiac a few years ago but I was fishing. I would love to go back for a hunt.

Some very tough terrain to be sure.

coffee

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote