New
Find
Notify
Tools

My spring Blackie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This spring has been an odd one. I always hunt out of Tok, AK. I always go up the first part of may for spring blackies over bait. I've been doing it for about 10 years now but the camp has been going on for about 18years.

We hunt over bait kinda different from other folks. we set the bait out on 1 hill and we pull back to a spotting hill about a mile away. we use the bait to bring in bears then when 1 is spotted, its spot and stalk. Usually it only takes a couple of days for bears to start hitting. this year I did just a quick trip up, I went for 5 days vs the normal 2 weeks.

On day 5 we were packing up the cabin without even seeing a bear, let alone a track or skat. we were scratching our heads to say the least.

Anyways half way through packing the cabin, I decided to go and check the bait one last time. lo and behold it had a sow and 2 cubs on it. we were happy as hell, atleast we seen bears. it made the trip upto that point.

All of a sudden the sow pushed the cubs into the trees at a dead run. sure enough a boar walked out. My partner and I decided to go after it. As were hiking through the valley, the boar came down the hill and sat under a pine tree.

My buddy tapped me on the shoulder and pointed and sure enough there he was looking at us. I kneeled down, chambered a round and punched him through the shoulders (about 90yards). He hit the ground so hard my head hurt.

As we were laughing and joking, the bear jumped up and came down the hill towards us, pretty much pushing its front kickers through the grass. through an opening I put another one behind the left shoulder at about 30yards. heard the death moan and knew he wasnt getting up this time.

Nice bear, smaller than what we usually get but he will do. Rifle was a mark X 30-06 with 180gr failsafe.

Heres a pic of the valley. I'm standing on the bait hill and the small ridge behind the spruce is the spotting hill. according to my GPS its 1 mile away.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, sounds like a good hunt.

BUT, that cannot be Alaska... too much Sun. Where is the RAIN? Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

I'll leave the rain to the folks who live and hunt the SE portion of the state. I'll stick with the northern parts. Wink

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heres a pic of our other bait site. this one is more for folks who cant hike up a hill for whatever various reasons. its only a 200yard shot after getting off the 4wheeler. Boy we killed some bears off of this one.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
Picture of AKsheephunter
posted Hide Post
Looks like a familiar spot off the Taylor HWY...took a number of Cinnamons out of there, in the past years.....CK

Posts: 552 | Location: Brooks Range , Alaska | Registered: 14 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your close. this spot is a few miles west of the taylor. Next year we are gonna go in from the taylor to a new spot.

The logging industry killed this one.

A lesson in irony

one of us
posted Hide Post
On the last day of a hard hunt any bear is better than no bear. I took a very small bear the last half hr of the last day of a hunt. He tasted just fine.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Joel and thanks for the report!

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Z.
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nice bear.

clap

*we band of 45-70ers*
Whiskey for my men & beer for my horses!

Malon Labe!

Posts: 235 | Location: Oregon Territory | Registered: 16 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Looks like the area to the left of the Tanana R bridge heading south, but alot of the area looks the same. Good luck on a new area. Hope you have the same success!

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Northway, yeah its on the old alcan in the same area where they are logging by the porcupine.

Its now a 3 lane road and they are gonna be putting culverts in over the porcupine so its gonna be a free for all and vehicles can go all the way to tanana. I wouldnt be surprised if someone doesnt try and put a bridge in over the river to get to river road.

Oh well, it was a good 18 year gig at the cabin, time to move on.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel,

Yeah, I've noticed the increase in traffic this winter and spring! Sounds like you've had a great time in there. I hope you don't give up at it. I am sure you will still be able to have good success. Do you own a cabin back there? The Porcupine always was about the end of the road for most people. That would be interesting to have someone put a bridge across at the river road. Wouldn't surprise me that is for sure! I think your place should be safe from others. Have you seen an increase of people coming in and hunting?

Posts: 384 | Location: Tok, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We dont own a cabin in there, we have been using the one thats about 4 miles before the river.

Oh yeah, seen traffic this year, had folks sitting on our bait and 2 suburbans came into the cabin. Havent had that happen before. We knew the folks in the trucks, they just stopped by to say hi. never did find the guy sitting on the bait but he left enough sign a blind man could follow.

we are talking about finding a way to come in from the taylor and pretty much be on the back side of where we usually hunt.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel how does the state of Alaska manage baiting of bears? Is it allowed state wide or only in areas deemed to have no grizzly/brownie populations?

In Alberta, where I live, the Fish & Game Dept only allows baiting in areas, where they figure there are no grizzlies.

P.S.
I have never baited bears; it seems like too damn much work to me! Smiler

By the way, I enjoyed the story and pics. Nice to see another hunter that is not head-to-toe camo!! thumb

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Demonical, if you want to bait in griz/brown country, more power to ya.

Some rules are you cant bait on a trail, near a bldg, etc. anyplace where normal hikers might run into a feeding bear basically. also you need to remove everything that isnt natural when the season is done (only can bait in the spring). also some places in the state require a baiting class so they can explain the rules.

Theres some more rules but you get the jist of it.

Last year we tried baiting for griz in a special predator control area. we were allowed up to 10 bait stations and as many griz as we wanted to kill. It was new to us and its definitly different. didnt get anything but had a riot. Here is a pic from where we baited for griz.

Since we had bait out around 600yards away, buddy decided to bring his 50BMG along.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel I have ZERO interest in baiting for anything. As I said, it's too much work!

Besides, Mother Nature already sets out baits for the bears. You just gotta know where/what they are eating at any time of the year and hunt that food source.

Thanks, I love the pics. thumb

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel,

You overlooking the Dennison there? Did you get any takers at all?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOrthway, I cant say anything about the area cuz its my buddies super secret moose area (he pulls nice moose outta there). but it is east of the taylor.

Had 1 that caught us off guard before we had the .50 out there at. he was 600 yards out and a nice size griz, just not interested in the bait, he was after the calf drops. After that no sign of bear. oh well, live and learn.

A lesson in irony

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joel,

NO problem! I understand secret spots well! It looks like the east side of the Taylor. I wanted to bait up there, but just get too busy with black bear baits and it is near impossible to check them all and keep things baited while working. Will hope to get a "few" this fall!