New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska Coastal Marine?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used Alaska Coastal Marine as a transporter in the past?

I'm looking for a transporter for the next spring or fall black bear season. Any suggestions? Can you recommend Alaska Coastal Marine?

Their site is:

www.alaskacoastalmarine.com

Thanks,

Posts: 26 | Location: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No one has heard of this transporter? Good? Bad?

Posts: 26 | Location: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never heard of them. Know what town they operate out of?

Posts: 130 | Location: Palmer, AK | Registered: 10 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used them hunting deer in Kodiak, and I have friends that have used them for spring black bear hunts.

I recommend them without reservation. Top notch guys.

Dave

Posts: 314 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments guys. They are out of Homer.

I know they are pretty close together but is Homer or PWS a better spot for Black bear hunting? Pretty much the same?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not hunted out of Homer but some co-workers have and they have good success. Have hunted PWS several times for black bears, lots of bears and lots of hunters. You can hunt sitka deer in many areas, to include the islands such as Montague and Hitchinbrook - some islands have large bears as well (brown) [Eek!] - have good raingear [Wink]

Posts: 1300 | Location: Alaska.USA | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KY23,
I think it's a toss-up between the two. PWS is an awesome place and one can see many bears if timing and weather are "right!" Homer has bears, but those in the know hunt around the bottom of the Kenai Peninsula to find the larger specimins (and greater numbers.) Anything from Koyuktolik Bay south is where I'd go. It's not so easy to get there unless in a float plane or large boat I do not know the outfitter you mentioned, but will assume that they will do everything in their power to go to an area that has good numbers of bruins. I have never heard anything derrogatory about this company. The reputation of a "bad egg" surfaces quickly here in Alaska...as in many places. Their slate appears clean...
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Much of the land around the southern tip of the Kenai has been conveyed to ANCSA Village Corporations. Make sure your outfitter knows where those Native lands are and secure any permissions or permits from them before hunting. Both English Bay Village (Nanwalek) and Port Graham Village corporations own land from around Seldovia around the tip of the Peninsula to Rocky Bay. There are some state, federal, and other inholdings in that area, too. Trespass management is becoming a priority for many of the ANCSA corporations.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote