New
Find
Notify
Tools

Got my Bear Rug today
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

After a long wait, I was not disappointed.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Nice, nothing beats an Interior Grizzly for color. The Brown Bears are lots bigger, but they are brown! When do you get back?

one of us
posted Hide Post
a beauty.

did you risk having it sent to Egypt?

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AKBman,

Beautiful bear! Very luxurious coat. A really big bear is impressive but I personally think the quality and color of the coat is equally as important.

Contrary to what another poster wrote you can find a coastal bear with a very light coat. They are quite common here around Dillingham. Interestingly though the light bears are almost always sows. That fact is from the local ADF&G biologist not me.

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am back in Alaska on leave, go back to Egypt after the New Year. The bear will stay here in Alaska until we move to New Mexico in May. I have to say that I do prefer the Toklat color phase the best on grizzlies. A friend of mine shot a sow out towards King Salmon that was so blonde it looked like a polar bear. I am hooked, wish the Air Force would let me come back here for my last tour, but New Mexico it is.

Posts: 148 | Location: Currently located in Southern New Mexico | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting the picture. I have a 91/2 ft. Brown Bear I got near Cold Bay that adorns my great room floor underneath my Moose mount of a Moose that came from the Farewell Burn, on the fireplace. The memories of the hunt came flooding back when I saw your picture. At least each new grand child can hear the story, even if all the other family members have heard it already, and placed a moritorium on it. Good shooting.

Posts: 221 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 19 December 2003Reply With Quote