New
Find
Notify
Tools

260 Accubond in 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted this on another site but I want to get your guys input as well. I was thinking of using the 260gr Accubond for Brown Bear and Moose up there next fall. So I ran them through a little test to see just how tuff they are. I will post a pic of the bullets when Hunt 101 is back up and running. This is what the test medium consisted of, One green treated 4x4 post, Three green treated 2x6's, One 2 inch thick Wet Hard Cover text book, And one 2 inch thick Wet Phone Book and a box full of sand to catch the bullets if needed. The 4x4 was in the front with the 2x6's after that then the Hard cover book followed by the Phone book and then the box of sand. I also will also say that I changed books and wood after each shot and I tested the 300gr Sierra also. First test was at 15 yards the Accubond Penetrated 17 Inches (Made it into the box of sand) and held a weight of 196 grains and mushroomed just like a Nosler Partition would. The 300gr Sierra weighed 212 grains but only Penetrated 10 Inches it to also had a nice mushroom. The Accubond at 60 yards Penetrated 23 Inches (Made it into the box of sand) and held a weight of 206 grains with again a nice mushroom. The Sierra Penetrated 17 Inches and held a weight of 267 grains with a big mushroom. Now I will give you the fps for both bullets. The Accubond is leaving the Muzzle at 2775 FPS and the Sierra is leaving the Muzzle at 2601 fps. I was surprised to see the lighter bullet out Penetrated the heavy one. So do you guys think the Accubond went through enough abuse and held enough weight to be a good Brown Bear bullet? The bullet Tech's at Nosler claim it should work Perfectly. If anyone wants to see or post the picture for me I can send it to you.

Posts: 370 | Location: Buxton, ND | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
Send the picture to jdbabcock@integrity.com and I'll post for you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Just did all the same testing as you in wet media and hard wood, and took mine to Namibia in July. Shot 13 animals up to Kudu, Gemsbok, and Zebra; and had exceptional perfomance on all. Ranges from 80-360 yards. People use 180-200 in 300's and 210's in 338 all the time. Would be an outstanding moose bullet, and probably great on bear out to 200 yards, but my personal preference would be to go to a 300 grain TBBC for the Brown Bear.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JBabcock Picture sent. Thanks Again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dakor,

I've used the 375 H&H pretty extensively here in Alaska and in Africa. I think the 260 Accubond would work fine but you really have no advantage over a 338WM with 250's. The 375 H&H works so well with premium 300gr. bullets I think I would just stay with it. I would add that the Sierra is a little frangible for my taste. A SAF, NP or TBBC would be my choice. These 3 always do the job.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark I thought the same thing to use a 300gr bullet then I called Barnes X and they first told me to use a 235gr X Bullet when I said I wanted something bigger they said a 250 and when I said that wasnt what I was looking for they said a 270gr. Well then I figured I would call Nosler because I use their bullets the most and know they work very well. Their bullet tech said to use the 260 Accubond So I said that I was thinking of getting some 300gr Partitions and the guy told me for Brown Bear and any other thin skined heavy bone animal to use the 260 Accubond. He also said they have tested them on Bison, Elk and African game including Black Death himself and they worked perfectly. So that is when I decided I could not take it anymore and did some testing. The guy at Nolser also said that the Accubonds are doing so well that they are going to be offering them in more Cals and weights.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I also tested the 260 .375 Ballistic tips just before they became the Accurabond. Nosler claims they were the same at that point. In all of my testing they matched the 260 partitions exactly in weight retention, penetration and expansion so I see no reason why they wouldn't make a great bullet for Bears and other similiar big game. That said, after a hundred big brown bears, I would still choose the 300 gr partitions.

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[image][/image]

Starting from the left the first bullet is the 260gr Accubond shot at 15 yards it weighs 196 grains. The next bullet is the 300gr Sierra wich also was shot at 15 yards it weighs 212 grains. Following that bullet is the 260gr Accubond shot at 60 yards it weighs 206 grains and lastly is the 300 Sierra shot at 60 yards and it weighs 267 grains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
485Win it sounds like you have a alot of Bear experiance is their any reason that you like the 300 Partition? Does it seem to put them down better? I guess my main concern is with really hard bullets is what if you dont hit bone and you just get a lung shot? Do the 300gr Partitions still seem to open up even on lung shots? Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to be prepared the best I can.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have been guiding brown bear hunters for over twenty years and have personally killed them with 30-06, .338, .375 Scovill and H&H,. 416 Rem., .458 Win and .505 Gibbs and seen a lot more die with everything from .270 to .411. If I had to pick THE best big bear caliber for a hunter I would name the .375 H&H. I used 300 gr Nosler partitions for many years with complete satisfaction. The beauty of the partitions is that the front opens up quite readily while the back half keeps going. Recently Nosler has stiffened up both the 300 Gr .375 and their 400 gr .416 and the front doesn't open as quickly. But too much penetration beat too little every time. I now prefer the 270 Barnes X or the 285 gr North Fork. I have also had great luck with the 285 Grand Slams. My hunters use a variety of bullets and the Swift A frames and Trophy bonded also work as intended every time.
I do think that because of Nosler making the 300 gr tougher the 260 would be just as good a choice for bears , big or small.

one of us
posted Hide Post
458Win I see you mentioned the Barnes 270gr has this bullet worked well? A friend of mine says I should try the new Barnes 270gr TSX bullet. What do you think? Thanks again for the help!!

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I first used the X bullets in the .416 in Africa and was impressed.Since then I have used them in Alaska and been just as impressed. I have settled on the 270 gr X in my .375 as it normally gives complete penetration even on big bears and moose and leaves a super blood trail if it exits. My M-70 .375 did only so-so with original X bullets, better with the moly coated ones and shoots very well with the new XXX bullets. I guess Barsnes calls them triple shock. Anyway, do give them a try.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you 458Win! Maybe one day I can con you into telling me about some of your bear storys. After hunting them for 20 years I am sure you have alot of good ones. Thanks Again!!!