New
Find
Notify
Tools

Back from the Bush...
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
well, sort of (I live in the Bush). I returned today from a two day 100 mile snowmachine ride. We set snares for wolverine (lynx is out of season) and cleared trail along the way. Saw a few moose and many fresh wolf tracks. It looks like there are multiple packs running in that area. We saw something kind of interesting. A wolverine will eat anything and they are considered scavengers. We read sign where some wolves had scratched up the snow and peed there. The wolverine came behind them and ate the dirty snow. That reminds me why we don�t eat wolverines. The weather was nice and stayed about �20...good travelling weather.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yd: Are you setting a trap line? How many traps do you set and what is your camp like? Do you have a cabin to stay in? This is real winter outdoor stuff...every other year or so I fly out past Illiamna and shoot spring caribou. We almost always see wolves in these large herds of caribou. Anyway, I might find it tough to tolerate a night or two out there on the open frozen tundra...do you use tents or other facilities?

rwj in anchorage

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

Yukon, nice web site, I see where you are and man you are up there. I will be moving to AK myself within a year, SE.I just would like to know a few things in you area, I would think that far up inland most people use small airplanes to get around and of course snowmachines. I do like that where you are is big country and I bet alot of areas to hunt, sound like a nice place to get away from crowds. Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote