Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka deer on the cheap
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
My brothers and I have long dreamed of a combined Sitka deer/halibut/lingcod trip. I'd use a rifle or a bow for the bucks. Anyone out there had a good, affordable outing for antlers and fins in AK?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16399 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What part of Alaska are you planning on hunting at?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6603 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Depends on your definition of affordable. I have a friend who runs a charter on Kodiak, and it'll run you $225-250 (depending on fuel costs) a head per day for a party of four. He'll get you hooked on great fish, and he's been hunting Sitkas on Kodiak for 20 years. All you need is r/t flights to the emerald isle and license/tags. By Alaskan standards, that's a pretty cheap way to go.

If you're bow hunting, you might want to consider later in the season when the snow pushes the bucks down, and the rut is on.

A less expensive option would be to be transported to a forest service cabin on one of the many islands in the state, but realize those cabins see alot of hunting pressure, so success rates are much lower, and the cost savings isn't that great. Being on a live aboard boat that can move you around to more spots, especially spots that get less pressure is a much better approach IMHO.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PWS
posted Hide Post
Seems like the good 'but fishin is over with by the time deer season starts. Especially considering that you'll have to go high for the deer in Aug/Sept anyway. Not an ideal combo if you asked me.

Posts: 1141 | Location: Kodiak | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
We went with Ron's Alaskan Adventures to Montague Island in Fall/Winter '04. Six of us for $900 each - six days as I recall. The hunt was discounted becase several guys were on their 3rd trip and he lowers the price the more you use him. Of course, gas was cheaper back then.

We slept aboard his converted trawler and used a zodiac to access he shore. I took a couple blacktails but my "trophy" was a seven year old double-banded Harlequin Duck. I'd go again just for the waterfowling.

Posts: 1244 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote