New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK. Wolf Hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Fellas, looks like I will be going down to the pennisula in Oct. 2011, to hunt Wolf.

Expected winds are 10-20 MPH, most of the time. I want to bring a semi auto gun for this.

Does anyone use an AR15 with 75 Gr. Bullets? For fast shooting, that would be hard to beat. Downside/s: If you run into a bear and
or 10-20 MPH cross wind, could be an issue.

The other option would be an Accurized M1A. It's semi auto, but more recoil and not as fast.

Any other imput for stuff to bring, besides rain gear ?

At least I know I will be going on this. I am also putting in for Sheep and Moose. We'll see how my luck goes.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I think your idea of the AR is sound, Remember there might be a chance at several at one time so the auto is a good idea.

Many of the AR makers offer 1 in 8 twist barrels with free float handgaurds for accuracy so there really are no draw backs to the AR unless, as you say you bump into a bear or if you are like me and you prefer to hunt with a more traditional rifle.

I used to work for a fur dealer in Anchorage where I was the fur buyer and skinner. That was back in the 80s and back then I knew most of the wolf hunters and most liked the mini 14s, That was before the flat top ARs were around.

If you don't already have the AR you want to use I would recomend staying away from the real long barrels because they add un needed weight, I just sold my 24" varmint upper for that reason. I really like the RRA coyote 20".

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
back in the early 80's i used a mini 14 too. killed the varmints just fine

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oh, if the Mini 14 worked, then this set up would work better.

Nothing is perfect, the wind or the bears could be an issue. On the other hand, if they are in a pack, I could world of hurt down on them at lighting speed.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Good luck CZ!!! Post pics next year when you are successful!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have found that when you use an AR for this kind of hunting application the 20 round mags are much better as the will useally clear the ground when you have the rifle on a bipod. Would'nt be a bad idea to have at least one 10 round on hand for that same reason.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
They make them in .308. Better bear medicine.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have multiple AR uppers in 5.56MM. I don't want to have to buy an AR in .308.

I think I will bring both the 18" 5.56MM AR and M1A with 18" Match barrel. If the wind is really bad, I will use the .308, otherwise I would prefer to use the 5.56MM with 75 Gr. Hornady TAP on the Wolves.

I plan on locating a carcass and sitting on it at about 200 yds. heheheh

I bought my Non-Res. Hunting Lic. this morning for the Lottery for the Sheep and Moose.

Any comments on other items to bring to the Penninsula ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
243 or 25-06 bolt gun. I can see the reason for a semi auto. We hunt them off of snowmachines so they're always running flat out. A semiauto has its merits but I would use a Browning BAR. You're not going to get more than four or five shots at one time anyway.
Good luck.
sbsmith

Posts: 314 | Location: Pagosa Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Carcasses are hard to find and unless it's a fresh kill you might sit for a long time. Bears usually find those carcasses pretty fast--and take them from wolves.

Bring a predator call. They work pretty well on wolves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
quote:

Carcasses are hard to find and unless it's a fresh kill you might sit for a long time. Bears usually find those carcasses pretty fast--and take them from wolves.

Bring a predator call. They work pretty well on wolves.

I think there will be 6-8 fresh carcasses not too far from camp.

Any particular Brand and Model of predator call you recomend ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sbsmith:
243 or 25-06 bolt gun. A semiauto has its merits but I would use a Browning BAR. You're not going to get more than four or five shots at one time anyway.
Good luck.
sbsmith

I don't have a 243 or 25-06. Although, I agree that would be a good selection.

I have AR15's or .22-250, M1A, 30-06, .300 W.M., .300 Wthby. Really don't want to buy another gun. I figure something I hav eshould work.

Do we agree that 5.56MM 75 Gr. bullet should put the smack down on a wolf ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
I have lived on the Peninsula for 15 years and while I have trapped dozens, I have never had the opportunity to shoot a wolf. I have seen them but never with a rifle in hand.

Are you going with an outfitter? Not to be a spoiler but this isn't as easy as it sounds. A kill would be your best bet but finding one may require hours of flying time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:

What kind of carcasses? You must be thinking that there will be skinned bear carcasses nearby?

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I was wondering that myself 6 to 8 carcasses near camp a few weeks after moose season ends sounds pretty funny.
I wish him luck though. it wouldn't hurt to thin a few out. I like the AR-15 for interior hunting and it's pretty good on the peninsula but I prefer something like an accurate 30-06 for a bit more reach in the wind.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vicvanb:
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:

What kind of carcasses? You must be thinking that there will be skinned bear carcasses nearby?

I am going with an Outfitter and there should be BB carcasses on the ground. They went 6 for 6, this past Spring.

Although, I have 30-06, .300 W.M. & .300 Wthby all in bolt action. I want to use a semi auto for this. Sounds like my M1A will be the way to go with a 2.5-10X scope on it and Harris 25 bi pod.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
What about a 6.8 Creedmore for an upper on your AR?

Just a thought. If you've never been to Alaska and especially to the Peninsula I can guarantee at least two things ----- (#1) you will be amazed at the amount of wind and until you've endured 25 mph with gusts to 45 mph for 3 or 4 days you dont know what wind is, (2) the first time you see a bear track you'll be sorry if all you have is a .223. Can you imagine how much a .22-cal bullet will move in gusts to 45 mph.

And one more! No matter what anyone tells you -- you won't bring enough rain gear.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

6.5 or 6.8 would both be flat shooting, hard hitting, good choices for this. But, I don't want to buy another upper. I have had two built in the last month and I don't know hoe many this year. I would like to work with what I have got.

I have been to AK., 10 times, but not to the Pennisula.

Seems more and more I had better go with the Accurized M1A, to buck the wind.

For rain gear, at this years SHOT show I bought the new camo version of Helly Hansen Impertech, jacket, pants and anorak. I figure it is as good as anything else out there? I had the older camo version that came out many years ago and was happy with it. The newer version seems much better.

Thanks for your input.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
.223/5.56 is hands down the most popular round in AK by those who are serious wolf hunters.

Stick with the AR and put the m1a on the back burner.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
BB carcasses left over from last spring?
Hmmm!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We've had some wolves hanging around last couple months. Usually they stay for about a week or two, then are gone a couple months. These few been seen right in town and are sticking around.

I had some chums that were too soft, so I planned on using them for bait for burbot. The wolves got to them first, ha. They actually came into the yard, got tub lid off and ate a couple fish. My house dogs winded them from inside house (plotts) and went nuts. When I went over to see what was up, those wolves crashed off through the brush. They came back 2 nights later, but at 3 am. I then moved the fish. Another week goes by, and a nice big one was trying to get in my garbage cans. Wife had some old meat & fish in one can. Never had wolves into my garbage ever before. I saw this one at 4am in morn with light; but couldn't get shot off right nx to my shed. I followed tracks out my wood lot trail, headed for mnts out back. Maybe set some snares later on this winter. Tracks were 5 1/2 inches long and their single tracks were 3-4 foot apart. I was surprised at how well the fish brought the wolves in; and it wasn't even for them. I'm using a 6.8 with acog , and streamlite on barrel.

I see wolves all the time when caribou come through, if I set down and watch where the caribou cross or where locals have a quite a few gut piles. I don't see all that many when I'm riding snowmachine though. Been with people and caught wolves following caribou on big lake with new snow; easiest to run them down and tag before they get to lake shore; but that doesn't happen everyday either.

I'd find where the bou are, and sit down in morning and at dusk.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fresh BB carcasses still fresh and steaming for Fall, 2011.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
carcass from thi sspring??? you know a guide is involved.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. The carcasses are still walking around right now. We are talking about Fall 2011.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very best attractor to get anything to come into an area, is year old salmon eggs. I usually fill up a few 5 gal buckets and by Spring when snow melts, they are stinky. I'll splash some on a spruce and I can even smell it 300 yards away if wind is right. Many people use dried salmon eggs for trapping bait.

Most everybody uses bait of some sort, but if there are gut piles or carcasses in an area, the wolves are around too; you'll see some if ya set down & wait.

There was a place out Nabessna Road, on the old Indian trail that went up over the divide between copper & tetlin watersheds. The creek bed was maybe 30 yards wide, brushy; and the caribou would cycle on down through that creek. The wolves would sit up on an overlook about 20 yards above the creek bed and pounce on the bou, tear them up. I saw a few different kills in that same area over the years. I bet the wolves are still ambushing the caribou at that same spot. The people you are going with will know those spots too.

posted Hide Post
I went wolf hunting last Feb. in the interior just outside of Denali. I took my 300 win mag, mini 14, and FN 5.7 handgun. I carried my 300 most of the time because we had about 20 mph winds and -40 temp. Plus I could reach out to about 1k yards with it. Our guide said even though I was bolt action I was a lot better off then my buddy who was carrying his AR15. The last day of the hunt I carried my mini 14 since the winds calmed down and it warmed up to 5 degrees. I'm going again this coming Feb. and plan on taking the same guns.

Posts: 5 | Location: Orem, Utah | Registered: 07 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I'd be shooting an accurate bolt gun to give myself the best chance in the worst conditions (long shot/high wind) I think if your planning on slaying a whole pack of wolves in one setting....good luck. And I mean it! Hopefully you come back with a bunch.

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Hope your wolf hunt isn't close to Pt Heiden or involve either of the packs in that area as the state has killed 14 so far

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad ya coukldn't have beaten Fish & Feathers to Port Heiden. Ya coulda just sat in a house, drink coffee, stay warm & dry & shoot wolves outa the window. Ooops!! That's not sporting, I guess. The preservationists wouldn't like that.
homer
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The biologist doing the shooting told me that often they have to shoot the wolves from Supercubs rather than the helicopters that are follwing and helping because the anti's think helicopters are too effective! Or not sporting.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of kingsalmonak
posted Hide Post
The last I heard the locals had pitched in 8 as well for a total of 22.

One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
There's plenty more in the area for aspiring wolf hunters. The last fall bear season on the Mud creek flats (swamp) north of Port Heiden at 1 time I could see about 25 brown bears and maybe more than that # of wolves fishing.Almost anywhere in the Cinder River drainage you can hear wolves howling on nights when the wind isn't blasting.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1410 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
With th 70gr.TSX BULLET IN A 1in 7 or8 twist you would have as good a combo as I could think of in a ar. I know a guy who lost a wolf he shot with a 300 whby .and I watched 1 run 200yrds that was lung shot with a 168gr seirra match hp from an 06: But th 243 was th round 2 of th best wolf hunters in the CopperBasin used .I'm hoping to be able t report on how will the 53gr TSX works on wolf before spring comes. My CZ527223 has a 1 in 9 twist and won't stabilize the 70 gr tsx

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have decided to use a AR15 with 18" fluted barrel 1 in 7 twist with a Nightforce 2.5-10X 32MM scope and a Harris bi pod.

Now that is decided. I would like to use 75 gr. bullets and will start to review options.

Let me know how your ammo works on that Spring hunt.

2 years ago I killed a huge Timber Wolf in Canada with a 175 Gr Sierra Match King out of a 26" .308. It knocked him ass over tea kettle. Literally.... rotflmo

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Tho I tend to hate all things 30/06 . The 30 s are usually bang flop on wolf and I've seen them do that .they do make a pretty big hole on th off side. What bullet will you use.

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Tho I tend to hate all things 30/06 . The 30 s are usually bang flop on wolf and I've seen them do that .they do make a pretty big hole on th off side. What bullet will you use.

Agreed on the 30's, it was dramatic.

As for the 5.56MM. I am tempted to use Hornady TAP 75 GR. Because I have a lot of it. Perhaps not the best choice, since it is not a hunting bullet. Your thoughts on that? How hard are they to put down with .22 centerfire at 150-200 yds ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Tho they all arn,t . Some wolves weigh m/ore than 150 lbs . The guys I know who lost wolves using th 223. Were using a hp cup + core bullet . I think the 75gr Sirrocco or th 70.gr tsx would b very good . Essespecially when they are running away .which they tend to do after th first shot.

One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
Great choice of rifle! From my experience the 18 inch barrel on the AR-15 is the optimum length for performance and handling. 70-75 grain bullets will do great as well. I have a few Nightforce scopes as well. Absolutely bullet proof and killer scopes!! Post pics of your hunt. I would love to get a wolf or two myself some day.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Lottfan:
Great choice of rifle! From my experience the 18 inch barrel on the AR-15 is the optimum length for performance and handling. 70-75 grain bullets will do great as well. I have a few Nightforce scopes as well. Absolutely bullet proof and killer scopes!! Post pics of your hunt. I would love to get a wolf or two myself some day.

Glad you liked the final decision. Could I use 75 Gr. Hornady TAP, or would that be a bad choice ?

I lack the computer skills to post photos here. Maybe someone will help a brother out and post them for me, when the time comes ?

Thanks for the input. I look forward to thinning out the Wolf pack. LOL.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of wolves, my nx door neighbor just shot a wolf tonight killing one of his dogs 20 feet from his front door. I had called him around 4 in afternoon friday to tell him we had a few wolves hanging around; better watch his dogs. Bus driver saw a wolf where my lane meets the road thurs morn. I was sitting down there this morning with 6.8 stag but didn't see anything up & down the road. My neighbor's dogs have a habit of running up & down the road about 50 yards in front of his house; leaving their scent. I saw tracks this morn but no wolves.

This was a 100 lb female. Neighbor let his dogs out, right away they started barking then growling, then run back to house. Neighbor ran inside grabbed shotgun & light; ran out hollaring at top of his lungs. Wolf had the dog on the ground by neck, wolf wasn't even bothered by the neighbor; thinking about the dog the wolf was killing. Neighbor was 10 foot from wolf when he shot her, wolf wouldn't let go of the dog or run off. So neighbors dog is all bloody and tore up; maybe the springer spaniel will make it?

I had wolves in garbage cans a few months back, but then they took off. Guess they are back again. I'd like to set some snares, but don't want to catch any of my neighbors other dogs, these dogs are like his kids. If it wasn't so dang cold, I'd set up the fox pro.

Anyway, wolves eatin dogs is pretty common here in Alaska.