New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sitka vs Kuiu
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
With Sheep hunting really getting on, and some of you out there in the mountains right now (or just back), I was wondering between Sitka and Kuiu gear for my hunt next year in the mountains.

Has anyone done testing of both, and if so would be very interested to hear about it. Otherwise, any / all opinions or such on either would be much appreciated

Cheers
Orvar

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I have used both. I have NOT used all the clothing for both. I have also compiled reviews from friends on garments from both I have not personally tried. That said I will relate what I have found so far.........NO ONE has it all figured out. Some companies get one or two garments figured out pretty well, but again NO ONE has it all right! Kuiu and Sitka are no exception. I've rather shifted away from Sitka. I have their Ascent gear and it is too light and easily perforated by wind. The Storm Front light is not up to par in the strength of the seems. The Storm Front 3 layer is quality, but heavy and noisy. I honestly think Sitka is over rated on the whole. They have some ok pants and mid/outer layer tops, but I think there's better out there. Their outer insulated top is nothing special. Kuiu has a very good hard shell. I have it and would recommend it. Actually I like it so much I'm going to sell my Sitka Stormfront pants and coat. Want to buy them? Their soft shell seems ok, but I ran into a guy this year who put them through hard use last year and was not impressed with their durability. I tend to use mountaineering pants for hunting. Typically from Mountain Equipment, Mammut, or Westcomb made with Scholler fabric. In my experience most "hunting pants" are not even in the same league as mountaineering pant with regard to fabrics, quality, seems, and durability. Merino wool base layers, socks, and tops are good stuff. For my money Barney's Sports Chalet has the best outer insulated gear out there. Just the Super Cub for warm weather sheep hunting or the Brooks Range pant and coat for cold weather sheep hunts.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
What models of mountaineering pants specifically do you like? I am having a devil of a time figuring out what pants I really like to hunt in.

I have a couple pairs of Mountain Hardware mountaineering pants that are like a cheap motel.... no ball room.

LL Beans gore-soft shell is too warm to hunt hard in unless it is really cold. Beyond that they are brilliant, and can be had very cheaply when LL Bean has sales. This is the hunting line model, not sure if they make a regular model. Comes in green and a couple camo patterns.

It is difficult to find a pair of pants that has everything.

Quiet

Tough material

Light material

tough stitching

wind resistant (can't say I want them 100% windproof all the time)

drys quickly

fits your body

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Breet, MOA

Thanks for your thoughts, sounds quite like I am thinking... and I agree that so many of them just don't put enough room in the crotch vs what we need for hard mountain hunting.

My current thinking if to try the Kuiu Chugach pants + jacket, with some UA base layers for the early season, and see how it fairs.

What have you guys got lined up this season?

Cheers
O

One of Us
Picture of Vanderhoef
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of KUIU!!
I have not tried Sitka gear though.

I've worn KUIU attack pants extensively and for me they are about as close to perfect as I've found. I also have the merino base layers and they work very well also. The Chugach pants and jacket kept me dry in the rain and warm on windy days during my brown bear hunt, wherein it rained almost daily and we had 30-50 mph winds...the stuff just flat out worked very well!! In addition, I received one of the first of their new packs right before the hunt and ended up using it quite a bit also and have zero complaints about...very light weight and comfortable but able to handle 100 lbs with relative ease.

I've tried Mtn Hardware, Patagonia, N Face, and most of the offerings available at Cabelas and as of right now KUIU is all I'd consider for any mountain/extreme hunt.

Regards,
Scott

"....but to protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not of soundness of heart."
Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 466 | Location: Just west of Cleo, TX | Registered: 20 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Scott very useful insight into Kuiu

Cheers
O

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very happy with the Kuiu attack pants and jacket. Very lightweight compared to their insulating ability, and very comfortable. Not truly waterproof, but they will keep you dry in the occassional shower or wet grass. The Sitka gear is nice, but considerably heavier and not as comfortable for me.
Bill

Posts: 1089 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
. . .are like a cheap motel.... no ball room.

You're killin' me!!! rotflmo

I broke down an bought a pair of Sitka Ascent pants. The thought was for early season hunts. August and Septmeber.

Things I liked about this pant were (1) 36" waist size fit me like a glove. Med, Large, XL pant sizes SUCK!!! For tops, I can live with that sizing. (2) articulated knees.

They won't do sch!tt againt devils club. The pants fared well on a nice day. Had to wear my Mtn Hdwre goretex pants over them a couple of time cuz it was raining or the brush/alpine grass was too wet. No problems with my sacks. hilbily It will be interesting to see how they fare for durability.

They seem a perfect weight to wear under HH Impertech, or put synthetic long johns under when it gets colder.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
What models of mountaineering pants specifically do you like? I am having a devil of a time figuring out what pants I really like to hunt in.

I have a couple pairs of Mountain Hardware mountaineering pants that are like a cheap motel.... no ball room.........It is difficult to find a pair of pants that has everything.

Quiet

Tough material

Light material

tough stitching

wind resistant (can't say I want them 100% windproof all the time)

drys quickly

fits your body

I've found a couple that have all the features you mention for me. The problem is (not for me) that I bought a bunch a while ago and now haven't had to buy mountaineering pants for a few years. I believe all three that I use are no longer in production. The BIG thing I can stear you towards is Scheoller fabrics. Schoeller fabrics are phenominal for their 4 way stretch, quick drying ability, toughness to cuts and tears, water resistance, and wind resistance. All three I use have Schoeller fabrics even though they are from 3 different makers. The light weight warm weather pant I use is the Westcomb Syncro. It is a baggier pant for mountaineering pants and lighter weight. I've used mine a lot and they are dead tough and durable. The two colder weather pants I'm using are the Mountain Equipment Liskamm pant and the Mammut Champ pant. I tend to use the Liskamm for my sheep hunts and other colder weather hunts. The Champs have been mostly seeing ski dutty lately, but they would perform well for the same uses as the Liskamm. Again all three of these pants are no longer in production to my knowledge. The hard part about mountaineering pants is fit. It's pretty hard to size them sometimes. I could see trying to do it over the internet could be darn near impossible. Sizing for Westcomb and Mountain Equipment is more straight forward, but the Mammut sizing system is convaluted at best.

Just looking on the websites at current models I would say these might be ok:

http://www.mammut.ch/en/produc...acier-Pants-Men.html

http://westcomb.com/product/so.../28/recon-cargo.html

http://www.mountain-equipment....ell/ibex_pant---242/

Probably one of the Gamma models:

http://www.arcteryx.com/Produc...EN/Mens/Pants-Shorts

Mountaineering pants tend to be tighter fitting and not baggy. In my estimation that has not been a problem for me as long as they have good 4 way stretch to accommodate movement.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Link to Schoeller Fabric.

http://www.schoeller-textiles.com

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Sierra Trading Post has some Mammut pants on sale with the Schoeller fabric.

So full retail isn't always necessary.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brett

Thanks!

None are camo though, and its SO importantWink

Could have used this last year in Norway after rudolf,mit poured the whole trip!

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
Sierra Trading Post has some Mammut pants on sale with the Schoeller fabric.

So full retail isn't always necessary.

Gortex hard shells (rain gear) tend to be as spendy as it gets for clothing. A close second is top quality mountaineering pants. It never hurts to shop around online. That said buying top shelf tends to always work out for me assuming you can afford it.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orvar:
Brett

Thanks!

None are camo though, and its SO importantWink

Could have used this last year in Norway after rudolf,mit poured the whole trip!

You're welcome. It's a wonder I've killed anything without cammo...... Roll Eyes

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my Sitka Downpour rain gear.I like the Kelvin Vest and Jacket.. I like the 90% Pants..
I owned and used Kuiu Attack Pants and the DUI Jacket.. Kept the jacket and gave the pants away..
Like Brett said you'll pick and choose gear with use.. UA has a weighting in my gear too...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
akrange,

UA? Under Armour?

Or something else?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UA is Under Armour... Under Wear.. Breifs and Tops.. Mid Weight Top which will dry out Quick Unlike Sitka Mid Weight Tops I own..
I'm also a Big Fan of Polar Max..Dry's Very Quick...

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akrange:
UA is Under Armour...

5 days in U/A and a pig wouldn't want to be near you. I like the stuff where laundering is available like Africa but for extended use it's like good old capiline --- an odor magnet.

Joyce and I were on a float trip once and I kept looking for the Bear that was stalking us because I could smell him.........it was me. Eeker Big Grin

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7624 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
UA is Under Armour...

5 days in U/A and a pig wouldn't want to be near you. I like the stuff where laundering is available like Africa but for extended use it's like good old capiline --- an odor magnet.

Joyce and I were on a float trip once and I kept looking for the Bear that was stalking us because I could smell him.........it was me. Eeker Big Grin

Wool base layers are much better base layers with regard to scent control for a long hunt. Wool is much more anti-microbial than ANY synthetic. Wool also won't melt to your skin in a plane crash! Eeker I now know enough people up here who have had small aircraft crashes that I don't take that last point lightly! This is of course assuming you don't have a wool sensitivity.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I recently got some First Lite (or is it Light) long sleeve t-shirts and they are wonderful.

Worked out they are the right color to wear with my AOR Type III cammies, and even in warm weather they have been wonderful.

I am impressed enough with the company that I am planning on trying their hunting pants as well. I need to get someplace that has some for sizing so I know what to order.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:
UA is Under Armour...

I think you need to take 2 sets of underwear with you.. Wash the other in stream while wearing the Fresh Set.. I know UA underwear is a
Bare to carry but you should be able to get 10 plus day out 2 sets...
Your Love Life will improve in the Bush if you take some Baby Wipes with you.. Game On !