THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Light Weight Rings & Bases for Sheep Hunting

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light Weight Rings & Bases for Sheep Hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for some recomendations for LW aluminum rings and bases, for a Sheep hunting rig my friend is putting together in .25-06.

Scope will be Loop VX3 in 2.5-8X36MM, Winchester rifle with claw.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talley 1 pc ring & base set in aluminum. Inexpensive as well.

Posts: 20124 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Zero,

I got stuck on the light weight kick for a while when I lived in Alaska and had to pack everything in and out myself. I used the traditional Weaver stainless rings with aluminum bases on almost everything including a 458 WM and a fly weight 338 WM. I never had a single problem with any of them and they are very light plus they're guick detachable. Oh! There cheap too.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12915 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quick detach for this application is not needed.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Like Mark, I have been a fan of the simple Weaver rings and bases ever since we used them on the 50 BMG in Vietnam. They are tough and light and if needed can be removed and re-installed without changing the POI much - if any. I've had them on my 458 now for 27 years.

Otherwise the Control rings and bases are light, tough and slim.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote here for the plain old Weavers. With a coin in your pocket, you can remove the scope, use open sights, the re-secure the scope with a reliable return to previous POI, always within 1 MOA in my experience.

I have Talleys too and like them very much, but the Weaver set-up is a great bang for the buck.

Don't go the Leupold/Redfield route with the twist dovetail front mount and the windage-adjustable rear. It is heavy....and the rear mount LOVES to loosen and play merry old hell with your accuracy.

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
posted Hide Post
weaver rings and bases are all i use, now i dont have problems anymore

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 396 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dawaba:
...windage-adjustable rear.

I agree - nothing could persuade me to have adjustable scope mounts...ever!

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nicest, trimmest set of rings I have ever seen were Conetrol. I have a couple sets of these rings and they are strong, light, and trouble free. Their standard bases are steel and a little blocky, in my opinion, but can be easily sculpted and trimmed to make a more pleasing base. I have a set on my sheep rifle today.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Game Hunter
posted Hide Post
Talley x2.

I have changed most of my base/rings to Talley and I wish I have done it years ago.

Keith O'Neal
Trophy Collectors Consultants
Po Box 3908
Oxford, AL. 36203
256-310-4424
TCChunts@gmail.com

All of your desires can be found on the other side of your fears.

Posts: 490 | Location: Oxford, AL. | Registered: 24 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Talley's. I've got them on my sheep rifle and their a rock solid mounting system.

Posts: 29 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 10 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't aluminum, but, S&K rings/bases are the best combination of strength and light weight that I've used, IMO.

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HuntNBgame
posted Hide Post
I put a one piece DMZ mount on mine, I wanted something a little heavery then the Tally's.

Posts: 131 | Location: East Coast,USA | Registered: 04 January 2011Reply With Quote