One of Us
posted
Not sure what to think about this?

Beavers in Alaska

Posts: 551 | Location: utah | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Locally trapping is fairly popular and the advance of beaver/ willow bush habitat is good for moose. Generally this global warming thing has been really bad for Caribou I think and that's unfortunate, Caribou are neat to have around.

Posts: 9086 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that our beaver population as soared.

Very few trap them any more fur prices are in the crapper.

They can destroy a lot of stream side timber.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Having personally been in on the trapping, skinning and hide preparation of a half-dozen beavers in the dead of winter in the Oregon Cascades near Crater Lake, I can tell you that I do not envy a man who must make his living from the fur of these very interesting critters.
I remember a Super Bowl Sunday about 30 years ago, standing in chest waders in the icy headwaters of the Rogue River receiving instruction from my mentor while holding a 40-pound beaver carcass in my frozen hands. It was snowing too. One certainly feels alive in such a situation.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Beutler:

Beavers in Alaska

coffee

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Earth’s climate is in a constant state of flux.

Isn’t it interesting how the hubris of mankind makes them believe they alone are in control of the earth and it’s climate.

Inevitably, our time will end and another species will replace us. No amount of policies or taxes can or will change that simple fact.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
I especially like the second bullet item about the satellite images. Did anyone else click on it?

quote:
Satellite images show rivers turning into trains of lush ponds as beavers build their dams.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nothing can change an environment as quickly and as significantly as our large rodents. I have trapped beavers for many years and they never cease to amaze me at what ambitious creatures they are. Smiler

Personally I think their fur is one of the most useful and beautiful furs you can get. It is too bad that the fur market has been so crappy for so many years as the beaver problems have just skyrocketed all over because of it. When you can't even cover your costs with the returns at the fur auctions it is no wonder that most trappers have very little to do with trapping beaver unless they are forced into it by local game department regulations, or they need the meat for baiting other critters like marten, fisher, etc.

I have had years in the past where I trapped and processed over 300 beavers and 100 would have been a slow year. Lots of work, but it was worth it when the auction checks were actually something you looked forward to.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lots of work, but it was worth it when the auction checks were actually something you looked forward to.

Trapping was enjoyable walking up to every set brings the excitement of what did I catch. Then knowing I made more money trapping then working a regular job.

But it is/was also a lot of work.

That was off set by a good fur check.

I gave up trapping when I started to lose money.

When it became more profitable to work over time then run a trap line. It was a easy choice not to trap.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:

Beavers in Alaska

I thought this post was about that strip club in Anchorage my guide took me to ....

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same here PD Shooter.
We are overloaded with beavers.
They moved in and started putting a dam in a stream in one of my pastures, flooding it. I ended up shooting 8 of them from that dam! Then hired an excavator to get it dug out. Talk about loosing money!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ended up shooting 8 of them from that dam! Then hired an excavator to get it dug out. Talk about loosing money!

I have found a load of number 4 buck works well for that purpose.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
You just need some bears to eat them .... Happy New Year p dog shooter Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Beavers in Alaska

I thought this post was about that strip club in Anchorage my guide took me to ....

The GREAT Alaska Bush Company? Now that I think about it, I do remember a few Beavers there 20 years ago or so! tu2 rotflmo

Posts: 2351 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That's the one!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My memories are from a bit farther back, 1989 but I seem to recall a whale or two in that place hilbily

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Not when I was there. I didn't stay long had an early flight.

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skb:
My memories are from a bit farther back, 1989 but I seem to recall a whale or two in that place hilbily

tu2 tu2 rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
There was a similar establishment in Portland in the 80's that advertised 50 beautiful girls - and three ugly ones...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by muzza:
There was a similar establishment in Portland in the 80's that advertised 50 beautiful girls - and three ugly ones...

They probably did the math for the rest...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14368 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a camp in upstate NY. So many beaver that DNR's
answer to complaints was to say unofficially to just shoot them.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote