New
Find
Notify
Tools

Northern Solstice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gidday fellas, my wife and I will be leaving Vancouver around 18th June and will be heading north to witness the solstice. Will Prince Rupert be far enough north or should we try and make Juneau for the full Solstice experience.
thanks Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Really come to the interior for the full experience.
If you can get to Denali park that would be perfect.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malcolm:
Gidday fellas, my wife and I will be leaving Vancouver around 18th June and will be heading north to witness the solstice. Will Prince Rupert be far enough north or should we try and make Juneau for the full Solstice experience.
thanks Malcolm

I'm from Juneau. What is the "Solstice experience" you are looking for?

The sun still sets at Lat 58 deg. When we have the 4th of July fireworks (within 2 weeks of the solstice) it starts at 11 p.m. It's dark enough then.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our travel agent has made a big deal out of the 24 hour sunlight thing. Being from down here in Australia, that to me, would be very unique.
I hope I have made the right decision or my missus is not going to talk to me for the entire duration of our holiday.
Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
To experience the 24 hr sun, you need to be at least as far north as the Arctic Circle. You'd have to go at least as far north as Fairbanks.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trapntrav
posted Hide Post
Malcolm,are you driving or taking a ferry/cruise?

Posts: 256 | Location: Fort Nelson, BC, Canada | Registered: 04 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muskegex
posted Hide Post
Drive on up to Coldfoot and spend the night (day)!!!!!

Posts: 134 | Location: ketchikan | Registered: 28 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
I'm headed up from Vancouver on the 17th of June. 7 day cruise and then on to Danali and Fairbanks. How about some suggestions on what to see and do. Cruise stops are Juneau,sitka,icy point,ketchikan, anchorage.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, you may want to check with the Tourist Information Center in Fairbanks about Solstice. As far as I know, there are a few activities in Fairbanks relating to that event, including a marathon at midnight. Also, people congregate to celebrate the event at Eagle Summit. This is a very high peak right on the Steese Highway, approximately 112 miles from Fairbanks.

People just drive trucks and RV's to Eagle Summit, where they spend the night.

Some information here:
http://fairbanks-alaska.com/midnight-sun-events.htm

Posts: 1103 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rob1SG:
I'm headed up from Vancouver on the 17th of June. 7 day cruise and then on to Danali and Fairbanks. How about some suggestions on what to see and do. Cruise stops are Juneau,sitka,icy point,ketchikan, anchorage.

In Ketchikan:

go to Totem Bight State Park

In Juneau, where I'm from, It's like Disneyland downtown where the tour boats come in, but . . .

If it not too cloudy or raining, definately ride up the Mt. Roberts Tram. (fairly expensive) If you hike the 1,500 vertical up, you can ride the tram down for free. You will need hiking boots or "Juneau Tennies" [aka Xtra Tuff Rubber Boots.]

Go to the Alaska State Museum (very inexpensive)

Walk up Last Chance Basin and view some of the mining ruins and the spectacular scenery - you might even see some Mtn goats from the road. (free)

Go to the Dipac Salmon Hatchery. They have a brand new aquarium as of last year [I haven't even checked it out yet.] There will probably even be some big king salmon in the fish ladders. (fairly inexpensive)

MM

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
MM, Thanks just what I was looking for. I have a Bud in Fairbanks who is going to show me around there.
Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Rob,

Of those destinations, Sitka is the place to go fishing. If you want, I'll PM you the info of a couple charter boat captains I know. Or, you could book onboard the cruise ship, but the prices may be higher. Then again, they may be lower, I don't really know.

Don't know if I'll be in town, I work two weeks on, two weeks off, on the North Slope. But, if your day in Sitka isn't booked up with tour stuff, let me know, I can give you the nickel tour on all 14 miles of our road system. Smiler

On nice thing about Sitka, besides being the prettiest town you'll visit, is that the cruise ships don't dock up in town. We don't have a cruise ship dock. They anchor in the channel and the tourist ride in on loitering boats. It actually provides you an opportunity to take a picture of you ship, on the water.

Which ship are you coming up on?

Brian

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote