Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Alaska DIY
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sdeshazo
posted
OK I've thought about this for years I'm wondering just if I can just maybe pull this off. I'm want to do a DIY Caribou & or Moose hunt with two friends of mine.
We are all from Florida (one moved to ID two years ago) but we meet up every year to hunt, last year we did a week backpack archery Elk hunt in the Saw tooth NF in ID. So we are not scared to work & hunt hard.
We are looking at doing a float or fly in hunt in Alaska & I just wanted to get some recommendation from guys that know.
What do you recommend Caribou or moose for high success or maybe Sitka deer?
What company that could put us on a good float hunt or fly us in to a good area? I've been told 40 Mile Air.
http://www.fortymileair.com/float-hunts.htm

These hunts sound pretty cheap until you start adding up flying out animals, etc. Just wondering what all the hidden fees really are? Besides my airfare to AK, what should I really expect to spend (total) on a DIY fly in drop off Caribou hunt?

Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 224 | Location: St Augustine, Florida | Registered: 07 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40mile is a decent company. Do they also supply the raft and gear? Be sure and specifically ask them about cost. In the past they were notoriuos for hidden cost's.

Nice country up there.

A big costs most folks dont realize is getting all there gear to and from AK. IMO, I would mail most of the gear to your flying service (except for guns and expensive stuff) and mail them back to yourself. with the cost of baggage... that way if you get a critter, you can check the meat on your flight.

Heres some pics of the 40mile/dennison area.

East fork is in the background in the valley.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote