Find
Notify
Tools

Etolin Elk w/Bow [pics]
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted
Rec'd these images from a cohort. Elk taken earlier in September during the 2-week bow hunt opening.

Rumor is that it took two guys 5-days to pack out all the meat and horns!!! That's 2,600 vertical one-way to/from sea-level. I've heard another story of two guys taking 4 days. I've put in for this hunt the past 3-years [no luck,] but if I draw, I gotta find a dumb (or motivated) sherpa. Not even sure if I'm up for the punishment.

Some like a less than 10% hunter sucess rate on this hunt. It doesn't get much harder in Alaska.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Muskeg:
Congratulations to your friend. Though I've never hunted Etolin, I've been to Afognak 3 times for elk so I have an idea of the difficulties. I really think that elk hunting in Ak. is about the toughest there is assuming terrain, weather & bears are considered. So far, we haven't connected but hopefully next year. Again, congratulations to him. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice! I have been to Etolin, and that obviously isn't one of the "beach" Elk killed. The work has just begun. Luky guy, I tried for 4 years to get a tag. How many are the giving out now?