Find
Notify
Tools

What to do in AK in April?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi everyone,

I have to apologise, for this is not a genuinely hunting-related question. Please feel free to ignore or delete this topic, should it bother you.

I will start a new job in July and will have all of April to do some travelling. I decided to visit North America once more (have been to Canada for 3 months), although the climate seems to be less than ideal this time of year.

What is there in AK in April to do for an adventurous young guy in terms of outdoor, fishing, meeting people off the beaten track.

I dont like mass-tourism and prefer to experience a country via its people rather than through a travel guide.

I am very grateful for any hints and suggestions as to favourite places, activities and people -

Thanks for your patience, any input is highly appreciated!

Cheers,

elwood.

Posts: 337 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
elwood, I believe Alaskans for the most part are gearing for summer. Most of the dog races ie...., North American, Yukon Quest, Iditarod and local communtiy circuits are well over. The road side community of Nenana has got a big whooopdido awaiting when the Tripod annually gambled on will go out with the ice. Many places like my village has a spring carnival going on the 1st wk. of April and as well other native villages. Snowshoe races-6mi., muskrat skinning, wood splitting contest, logsawing etc...can't forget the big dances. Bunch of virginia reel, 2 step, square dancing etc...local fiddlers getting together and celebrating the end of winter-pretty cool. Some places allow for the "spirits" to assist in the dances-any flavor--some pretty funny moments as well as the all out brawls that take place generally over a woman or something about doing something better than them.Smiler Kind of partly civilized but on the rough edge. Bears will be out by the end of the month and some will be setting up for the spring hunt, myself including or gearing up for the migratory fowl hunt. If you get out into the rural communities you will see a whole new adventure if you can make the right contacts.
Someone might give you a clue as to what the larger communities do. Talketna does their mountain climbers - north of Anchorage. Might take a small charter and fly and check out Mt. Mckinley-quite a impressive scene. You might get in touch with some local southeast bear hunters down in Kodiak or somewheres and visit the bear populationSmiler
I hope this little bit has helped to give you a insight. Wish you well on your Alaskan adventure.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In Juneau watch it rain rain rain.In the interior the bears start to come out.April is not so good may ,june,july,aug,sept are all better lots of fishing then and hunting.Valdez is the prettiest place go in July to fish for pinks its awesome.Rent a car and drive the whole road system I think its 1200 miles or so.I hate to say it but the Alaska hwy past whitehorse canada is prettier to see than Alaska around Steamboat .

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Elwood

Come on up to Alaska in April. It's one of my favorite months. I spend my time at my cabin at lake louise and just ride my snow mobile around and enjoy nature. the weather is nice that time of year and the days are long.

Check out this site www.travel-pix.de/artikel/usa_lake_louise.html you will see some photo's of the are in summer and some photo's I've sent to them in April. Let me know if I can help.

Also
www.lakelouiselodge.com

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Please don't feel you have you limit questions to hunting and fishing, any alaskan question is fair game.

As far as what to do in April, it's not a great time for hunting and fishing, that said, there are still ways to get out.

It's the best time of year to go skiing, March usually dumps a good load of snow, and April days are long and warm. That also makes it a good time to go hiking, because the snow isn't totally melted and mushy, and there are lots of areas that are more easily hiked over snow/ice than summer muck. There are some hut routes you can ski and hike along.

Depending on the temps and snow load, you can get out and do some rock climbing, though the rocks that are accessible are pretty nasty stuff and nothing paticularly big, but enough to get you started for the year.

You don't have summer hoards, you don't have summer bugs. Lakes will still be well frozen in most of the state. It can be pretty muddy and ugly with the sloshing snow on the roads, but off the roads it's a nice time of year. The only downside is alot of the amenities during the summer aren't up and running yet, so that limits you. On the up side, you aren't paying summer rates for hotels or rentals.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yakatat situk river for great stellheading +_ lots of bears to keep you on your toes

Posts: 129 | Location: Darrington Washington | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Elwood, First ! Gruss Gott. Second, bring some Erdinger Crystal as you fly through Ca. Then Head up to Ak. Wish I could go with but that is "TURKEY SEASON" my month is all planned out. Enjoy and dont forget the Crystal. Cameron

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nwtfhunter:
Elwood, First ! Gruss Gott. Second, bring some Erdinger Crystal as you fly through Ca. Then Head up to Ak. Wish I could go with but that is "TURKEY SEASON" my month is all planned out. Enjoy and dont forget the Crystal. Cameron

Hi nwtfhunter,

just let me know how many bottles I am allowed to bring into Canada and it is a done deal!!!

How come you know Erdinger Kristall? How much time have you spent in Germany?

Everyone else thanks for your input - I'll try to squeeze in as much as possible!

Akshooter - sounds very tempting, might pay you a visit!

Cheers everyone - happy hunting,

elwood.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
cool come on
What the heck is Erdinger kristall.
I've had a few bottles of beer from Erding but I don't remember anything called Kristall. Maybe that was becaues I had a few to many of the Erdinger beers.
What part of Germany are you in. I've spent alot of time in Bayern and some of my best freinds are there. I also have a ausland jagdschin for Bayern. I wish it was good all over Germany but it donsn't matter much because the places I have an opertunity to hunt are all in Bayern.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elwood
April varies--I'm hoping for great spring skiing...you will find plenty to do regardless of when spring really hits. I think Alyeska (the ski resort) was open 7 days a week last year till the 17th of April, and then weekends. Other outdoor oportunities will take over as the snow recedes--you won't have any shortage of things to do....
Come on up!
Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
cool come on
What the heck is Erdinger kristall.
I've had a few bottles of beer from Erding but I don't remember anything called Kristall. Maybe that was becaues I had a few to many of the Erdinger beers.
What part of Germany are you in. I've spent alot of time in Bayern and some of my best freinds are there. I also have a ausland jagdschin for Bayern. I wish it was good all over Germany but it donsn't matter much because the places I have an opertunity to hunt are all in Bayern.

Hi Akshooter,

the Erdinger beer is THE most popular beer in Bavaria but it is mostly drunk by foreigners since Bavarians prefer the beers brewed by their numerous local breweries.

Anyway, I am from Passau, where in Bayern did you stay? There is some excellent hunting down there!

Here is a link to the Erdinger Crystal beer: http://www.erdinger.com/beer/con_beerspecialties_crystal.php

Cant wait to get to AK, cheers for everyones help,

elwood.

One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Hello Elwood
I spent most of my time west of you but not far. My freinds live and have their reviers between Munich and the border. I've hunted several areas between Bad tolz and Mittenwald also near Starnberger see. One time I hunted up in frankonia between Wurtzburg and Bamburg. Also I hunted in Steiermark a few times.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

one of us
posted Hide Post
The best thing to do in April is to bring up 12 Playboy bunnies.You keep one and leave me 11 of them.Then they can keep me warm and it would be alot funner for me up here.If you did this every year people would probally have a life time of hunting of your choice.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there's always the bush country Roll Eyes

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote