THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM ALASKA HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Alaska Hunting Forum    Any Reports on Guide's,Rangers,Wardens or Hunters taking Brown/Grizz w/12ga Slugs?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Reports on Guide's,Rangers,Wardens or Hunters taking Brown/Grizz w/12ga Slugs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Just curious to see if any were taken with 12Ga SLugs and if so,what type,performance and circumstances? Thanks

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I am aware of a USFWS seasonal employee stopping a charging bear in this area about 6 years ago. I know it was a 12ga, I don't know what kind of projectile was used.

The FWS still issues 12ga shotguns as its standard bear defense weapon out here. My friend at the state fish and game here in town also commonly uses one. If he is intentionally looking for a problem bear he intends to kill he uses a rifle.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chisana
posted Hide Post
Contact this guy: john.crye@alaska.gov. He is an ADF&G wildlife biologist in Kodiak and I am fairly certain he has put down some nuisance bears with 12 gauge slugs.

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Distinguished Rifleman
President's Hundred

Posts: 390 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 11 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
WILL DO-THANKS! thumb

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The only anecdotal slug evidence I have is from Col. Gary Folger - the head of the Alaska State Troopers and F&W enforcement. Years ago he told me that he tried to kill a brown bear in King Salmon with his issue 12 guage slug gun and that the results were so poor that he will never use a shotgun on a bear again.
Another guide that I once worked for tried to kill a grizzly with buckshot in the head and he said that at 5 yards the shot did not penetrate the skull but did "peel the hide off the head" and really pissed off the bear.

I'm sure it had been done - you can kill them with a 22 mag - but when I expect to face bears I much prefer a rifle with stout bullets.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys for the feedback....What I plan on using is Unique in the slug world,so I am sure by the Linebaugh test performed,it will drill big holes in Mr.Grizz or Smokey the Bear with no problem...We are shooting custom hard cast Bore diameter(.73cal)slugs that weigh 880 w/.375cal meplat at 1500+ and/or the 1043 hard cast w.50 cal meplat at 1200+....They penetrated as follows at the Linebaugh Seminar:
The 880's at 1441 fps penetrated 45" thru paper and 4paper+bone+26" additional paper. Bullets recovered in plain paper were undamaged and thou bone lost the nose portion to the middle driving band, weight was 540 grains average. Our bones were the beef femurs and were better than the size of a fist. The bullets recovered in paper were undamaged and the ones thru bone lost a nose portion if the first driving band and at times sheared to the second driving band. Those that were to the second band weighed 550 grains on average and those that were less damaged I couldnt weigh on a 750 grain scale.

The 1043 grain bullets were cronographed at 1080 fps average(I had them uped to 1200fps)The 1043 grainers went thre 48" paper on average and 4"paper+bone+ an additional 36 inches of paper. Plain paper bullets were undamaged and the ones thru bone showed only peened nose portions back to the start of the truncacted cone. I took them to a friend that had a 1000 grain scale and he couldn't weigh them on it. They survived well.

I will be testing them shortly in my Benelli SBE with the ER Shaw Rifled Barrel.. Big Grin
(OK Guys,I know its not a 12ga from Hell,but it weighs 9pds scoped and can shoot 8 rounds in 2 seconds and is 42" long thumb ) dancing

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Those sound like they should have about the same effect on a bear as dropping a crane on him.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
lol
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Those sound like they should have about the same effect on a bear as dropping a crane on him.

That's a good one! clap

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
It's gonna leave a mark! First on the Bear, then on you!! Big Grin Eeker

Posts: 5701 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jim Brainard
posted Hide Post
A bio on the Chugach National Forest killed a brown bear several years ago with a shotgun and slugs. The Forest Service allows shotguns for personal defence but recommends the use of Breneke slugs at a minimum. I know that several LEO's have tried slugs on bears but they carry "Tactical" slugs that are designed to kill people and are not loaded hot enough for bears. As long as you are not trying to shoot through brush and get a clean shot at close range (25 feet) the slug will kill a bear quite well. Jim

Jim

Posts: 90 | Location: Petersburg, Alaska | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a problem bear executed in Katmai in 1983. It was a classic Federal Goverment operated cluster with 4 shooters piling slugs into the bear. I counted afterword and the bear took over twenty round! This was in the day of 2 3/4 shells, assuming a standard deer load for the time.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jetboater
posted Hide Post
There was an extensive reoprt done out of alaska years ago on the best firearm for defensive work on big bears, I had a copy but will have to look for it. It rated the 12 g pretty high, but the 3006 was higher, and the 375 was near the top. Alberta F&W have shot thousands of bears with slugs, they work well up close, hit hard but penetration can be limited. The 3006 with 220 grain bullets works well, but the 375 would stil be my top choice all around. I personally have shot a few with slugs, nd tey are ok, but it is no excuse not to buy that 375.

Posts: 99 | Location: SW Alberta, up against the rocks | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to use slugs I would want Brennekes.

I would much prefer a 45/70, or even a 44 Mag lever rifle, with the right bullets of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the slug is made of sufficient construction (design, material and weight) I don't see a reason why it could not be used for hunting bears.
Lefteris
www.europeancartridgeunlimited.com

Posts: 195 | Location: Thessaloniki, GREECE | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Dude , This isn,t making any sense . Unless you are also hunting ducks in Sitkho Bay or Neka Bay ... WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO BE SEEN PACKIN A SHOTGUN WHEN YOU CAN PACK YOUR 500 , 600 , 416 , ect . ect. bewildered

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
You have a point there...But I have done it with the big stuff,so I am thinkn of something unusual/different,kinda like doing it with a bow or handgun bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Friend that killed a 9' 3" brown bear with a 30/06 and was backed up by a Tarhunt slug gun it took 4 slugs and 4 180 gr Bullets to stop him at 110 paces.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Well that does it!If I get to hunt Ak this Sring I am going to show how its done with my Benelli and 1 or 2 of my Super Duper Steroid Slugs!These 1040gr Asteroids will flip Smokey over on his back!I have seen 1 shot kills on elephant and 11 shot attempts with 458s and 375s. We all know its about shot placement,so if all goes well we will have some nices pics next year with me and my "Benelli Bear"!!