New
Find
Notify
Tools

Up coming bear hunt
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well I leave Friday for Kodiak Alaska to hunt Brown Bear in DB134 Kiluda Bay. Wish me luck and I hope my .340 Weatherby with .240gr North Forks puts the hammer on a big brownie. Will post pictures and story if I get lucky. Anybody know what the weather has been like and how much snow or water is around?

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
twilli;

i think that your setup is a fine choice with a brake and a low power scope. since you are handloading couldn't you get a n.f. bullet heavier than 240 gr.?

maybe we can meet for coffee when you get back and take a look at some photos. p.m. me if interested.

good luck, be safe.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Good luck,yes you must post photos on your return.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1870 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Afrikaander
posted Hide Post
Go for it, twilli !!!

------------------------------------------

Μολὼν λάβε
Duc, sequere, aut de via decede.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Twilli ----- There is absolutely nothing like hunting those huge Brown mountains of muscle. Your .340 with the 240 grain North Forks should serve you well. I have been there and done that, from the first track I saw on the beach, the hair stood up on the back of my neck and didn't go down for days. For Cold Zero's benefit that is the largest bullet North Fork makes in .338, but not to worry, it is an awesome bullet, particularly through a .340 Wby. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you go, check out the pictures on big game section: who say's bears aren't dangerous.

Better strap on a big iron for back up and sleep with it.

Good luck, hope you have a great trip. Be safe,
George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5944 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Twilli,
Thought you were gonna kill a little ole Montana black bear this Spring? Good luck on Kodiak. I'm headed for POW island next month. Maybe I'll see for the fall sheep season up aroung Tom Miner.
Remember,-------Aim small, miss small.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote