Find
Notify
Tools

Zeiss 10x40 ClassiC Binoculars
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Anyone have a set of these? How do they compare with the Leica 10x42s? Looking to buy a pair for my brown bear hunt.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There have been some improvements since the old classics first came out but they are still good by any standards and as useful as ever.
And considering most of the new top end binos run around $2000 they are a great buy.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks Phil, any idea what a used set in good but not mint condition should go for?

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
A complete wild assed guess would be $500-$600 and I would say they are certainly worth that.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I think they may resale for a bit more than that. Still, good glass, for sure.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have three pair of Zeiss classic binos and prefer them to anything else ever made.
The good news is that when Zeiss introduced the newer models they sold all the old stock of 10x40s to Cabela's and they in turn sold them for years dropping the price as time went. I seem to remember that the last price I saw was $599.00 a steal.
I would consider a pair of the newer models but I won't wear out any of the older ones I have in my lifetime.
Look around you might be able to find a good deal on some 10x40's

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The Zeiss is all you'll ever need but I found the eyecup's to be a bit sharp for my taste. On a typical bearhunt you can expect to have your bino's slammed into your face a few times when the wind gets going. Leica's have a nice rounded eyepiece that never causes any soreness in the eye region.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old classics were not waterproof or nitrogen filled. They will breath so there will be some maintenance to keep the lens clear.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Are the Zeiss ClassiC 10X40 B T* P* 10x40s considered the "old classics"?

Regards,

Chuck

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Yes, those are the old calssics and in my experience they were quite waterproof and head and shoulders above the Leitz Trinovids of the same vintage

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you look around some of the sites like gunbroker regularly you can find some money savings. I bought a brand new pr of Leica 7x42 HD for $1400, about $600 less than street retail. I like a lower power with superior resolution for easier and longer viewing without giving much up in the way of power. I have a Swaro spotter for closer detail work...also bought on gunbroker at a $700 savings. Keep searching until you find the deal you want.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If these are the older soft black rubber armored roof prism models; they did not have internal focusing. The objectives were not fixed and moved fore and aft for focus. The units that I am describing were probably discontinued 10-15 years ago. These were not hermetically sealed. Nice glasses though.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
Had my 8x20 classic Zeiss binos around my neck today from 9:45 this morning untill 6:00, Hard rain all day and no problems with leaking.
I bought thease in 1978 and never had them leak or fog, My 7x42 classic I've had since 84 and my individual focus 8x30 I got in 92 same story with all three pairs never a drop on the inside and all have had hundreds of days in the field.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I found a pair of used 10x40 ClassiCs in excellent condition. They should be here Friday. Looking forward to my first pair of truly quality binoculars. My Leupold 6x30 Yosemites were my top shelf binos until now ... Thanks all!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Hi Chuck,

compare them prior buying especially against the Swarovski EL 10x42 Swarovision - I doub´t that you will take the first 2 choices other then the price tag maybe... The Swarovski´s image is the best I have ever seen - and no one took one of those Swarovski´s without a big wide open mouth when he looked through them.

Go and test them!

Klaus

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine are from 1998 and I carried them a lot and in many different places but not Alaska, though. One can see the use but the optics and mechanics are still as good as new. One of my best buys, I would say.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck good buy, I still think they are one of the best bino's for the buck, I've been using them since 1983 with no issues while I've had some issues with Swarovski's in the past (optics were great but the bino literally came apart in my hands on a hunt, glad I had a multi-tool with me), I also think the newer Leica's (not the HD's) are great glass for the price. Ironically just three weeks ago I walked into a local pawn shop and found a 10x40 BT* P* pair for sale (older ones made in West Germany) amazingly for 125.00 could not pass them up, my son Derek now has a pair.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll be using them in 4 weeks on a brown bear hunt in the Togiak Refuge.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of GSSP
posted Hide Post
There is a gent over on 24CF selling a pair of these "T-A" for $750. Too much IMHO.

Alan

Posts: 1719 | Location: Utah | Registered: 01 June 2004Reply With Quote