Notify
Tools

phantom jet boats
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted
What can you guys tell me about these.

I have never seen anything like them before. I see adds for them here on Fairbanks local t.v.

They do things I thought only airboats could do like ride over land .

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted Hide Post
Need more info. can you send any pics, or a link to some where.. Maddog

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to have one. They are nice boats. Head over to Compeaus and have Craig give you a ride after break up. I live in Ft. Yukon and have to worry about fuel quality so I traded it back in on a different boat. He sells a lot of them. They're very good if you don't have to worry about fuel quality or fuel cost. Even with the smart electronics and oil injection you are getting pretty poor mileage vs. an outboard prop...especially a 4 stroke. If you want a jet and understand what you're getting into then I would give it a very close look. They go very "skinny" and can haul a lot of weight. I had one with the rear console, full windshield and canvas top. The Optimax motor is the one you want if at all possible.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yukon Delta.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Yukon,
I just recieved there video yesterday and the boat looks like a blast for river running.

When you had yours, did you notice any problems with the design besides the fuel issue? Watching there video kinda makes me wonder how many boats they broke or are they as strong as they say?

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me preface by saying the Phantom is a good boat if your application suits it. I live in a very rural area and have no choice of fuel. I had a breakdown on the river (80 miles from home) due to excess water in the fuel. It got past the Racor and inline engine filter. When it does that it will go into a "limp home" mode. That means you've got 5 or 6 mph max speed available. I happened to be in 8 mph current on the Yukon and I was in serious trouble. One thing I don't like about the boat is that there is no backup motor like you can do on an outboard setup with a kicker. All the dealer had to do was reset the codes but it cost me a lot of money and timedown due to my remoteness. In the wrong situation it could be very serious. I prefer backup systems.

If you live near town or on the road system this will be much less of an issue for you. I have to be able to work on my own stuff and the boat was too high tech for village work.

To your question...I love that video but I would not try that stuff myself. I was on the Porcupine and up on step when I saw I was going to hit some real skinny water. I thought I was going to ground out at 25 mph so I shut the throttle. Of course, that caused me to ground anyway. I'm lucky I didn't break my neck when I flew into the windshield. All that to say, 3 of us could only get it off the bar with MUCH effort. It took an hour and digging a channel with boat paddles to get out and we were not carrying any weight in the boat. The boat is so heavy in the back with that big motor that you cannot pick the back end up. If you try to pick up the front end you will lever the back end into the ground.

Can you go across bars like the video? Yes, but God help you if you get stuck. I can in good conscience recommend the boat IF you know and understand it's limitations. I like Craig Compeau alot (and he gets a lot of my business) but the Phantom is not invincible.

Let me know what you decide. Either way I recommend his dealership to you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I neglected part of your question. The construction is very stout with very heavy gauge ribs. If you get a chance, head over to Compeaus and see one for yourself. You can probably get a look at the actual boat from the video. Did they break it? I don't know but it looks better than I expected after that abuse.

The Tricker trailers are very good quality too.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yukon,
Thanks again for the info. We are in the market for a good river boat. We've had the inflatables in the past but now we are looking for a jon boat. When thread was started I requested a video. It almost looks to good to be true. Thats why I'm glad you can give first hand knowledge on this subject.

I'll be in Tok in may and hopefully I will have the time to get into fairbanks and talk to craig about it. I dont get to fbks all that often but IMO, folks in the interior have a real good idea on what makes a good riverboat.

Thanks again

Posts: 204 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 December 2000Reply With Quote