Find
Notify
Tools

Subsistance single shots ????????
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
So who would be in favor of requiring any subsistance hunters to use only single shot rifles , heck even allowing double rifles and double shotguns ,or primitive weapons .........???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not think what type of "gun" is used makes a difference.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From the other side of the pond, it strikes me that if a hunter claims his rights to subsistence shooting based on the traditional habits of his people, and you are prepared to pander to an apologist society - then he should be granted this right freely.

Provided always, that he uses the traditional methods employed by such 'first nations'!

If he can't do it with a bare bow + wooden/feather fletched arrows - then rifle seasons and tags should apply!

Regarding single shots - they do not hamper me in any respect. The first shot is invariably the fatal one!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gumboot

That would be a deader issue than trying to ban the 223 for big game. Don't get me going on subsistence AKA the right to waste tons of beautiful protein.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12869 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a Ruger no.1 for years wouldn't brother me a bit. Won't make any differants to the number of animals killed.

As with any thing that is free the people reciveing it have less respect for it then if they had to pay for it.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
So who would be in favor of requiring any subsistance hunters to use only single shot rifles , heck even allowing double rifles and double shotguns ,or primitive weapons .........???

Why?

Most of the Alaska natives that are using subsistance permits are using a 223 or 222, bolt rifle.

Most whites are using a 30-06 on the same permit.

I think the troopers should just do a better job of enforcing waste cases, and the villages should preach no waste on wildlife education.

Eventually it will work itself out.

But when the spring whale hunt happens and 6000 pounds of last years bowhead heads to the landfill it really pisses me off.

Why not just kill enough whales, snow owls, caribou, and whatever else to feed the people in the village. Not the people in 30 villages. Greed never gets in the way when a group of people don't have ethics.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
I think it would have a great impact on the number of animals killed ..... Drunks don,t do so well with manipulating mechanisms and not dropping shells ..... Thats why these gross killing sprees are usually accomplished with the SKS , AK , and mini 14 or 30 ...... I,m not talking about the game that makes it to the city dump ,but rather all the game that is wounded and lost .. And I,m not differentiating between ethnic groups ... It would be a great game saver ........

I,m not joking about the substance abuse that leads to subsistence abuse ............

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I think they should be required to use traditional weapons, knives, bows, spears, period. Otherwise, they should draw tags like everyone else.

Regards

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4731 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
I think they should be required to use traditional weapons, knives, bows, spears, period. Otherwise, they should draw tags like everyone else.

Regards

Chuck

If your going to contribute, then know what the hell is going on.

Subsistance permits do not usually give draw tag animals.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
I think it would have a great impact on the number of animals killed ..... Drunks don,t do so well with manipulating mechanisms and not dropping shells ..... Thats why these gross killing sprees are usually accomplished with the SKS , AK , and mini 14 or 30 ...... I,m not talking about the game that makes it to the city dump ,but rather all the game that is wounded and lost .. And I,m not differentiating between ethnic groups ... It would be a great game saver ........

I,m not joking about the substance abuse that leads to subsistence abuse ............

I can agree with the logic here, the substance abuse is what is killing the ethics.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:

Regards

Chuck

Now that is picking the white stuff out of the CHICKEN SHIT!! patriot

Posts: 2352 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tsturm:
quote:
Originally posted by D99:
quote:

Regards

Chuck

Now that is picking the white stuff out of the CHICKEN SHIT!! patriot

Hate to say it 99 but , have you been drinking TOO much coffee ...... Calm down ,it,s ok ., I,m sure Chuck 375 didn,t make the statement to get his head bit off ...........The fact is you arn,t here right now either ..........Try a little decaf ..

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
When I wrote it, it didn't sound that harsh in my head. Less biting and more "dude, go back to the atlas and find Alaska on a map before you comment".

So sorry for coming off like a dickhead!

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:

Regards

Chuck

"They" includes as many white folks than natives. As subsistance hunts are all about rural alaskans filling the freezer.

But the problem is that a lot of these people "the natives" are wasteful of game.

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
......In Southeast it is a gross waste of deer from lots of things . Spotlighters are my favorite whipping post . Boy I hate them ... On Prince of Wales ,as soon as the deer season opened they would come over from Ketchikan .. Sometimes we would hear them shoot in the middle of the night .. It was easy to find where they had been , just follow the birds ...We found many whole deer that had been wounded and run off or just fell in such a way the poachers couldn,t easily find them .... One year the gill netters out in Clarence Strait called ADF&G on some that were poaching above Coffman Cove .. They could see their lights and with binos see their muzzle flash .......When the snow comes on heavy in Southeast in the fall / winter and the deer get driven on to the beaches , the beaches load up with deer and we get lots of waste then ........